PDA

View Full Version : VX "Grasshopper" asks VX "Masters"....

01 Dragon
01/27/2003, 07:45 AM
;pg; ...Dont know how many of you watched Kung Fu but..
I have some more Questions....
I have a ton of sand around my house and want to TAKE IT IN
THERE!!! So should i just JUMP IN, or slowely wade in?

MONCHA...any tips for applying Van Eyes, I just got them.

Any one have seat covers on they VX's? Any recommendations?
I dont want to mess up the "fine Corinthian leather" in my
DRAGON WAGON! ;Db;

I went to the clubvmag site and saw a post about a brushguard,
a fellow vx'er drew it and it was AWESOME....are they still avail,
if so how much are we looking at? sorry i promise ill join the
other board. Also are the running boards, tubes available for us?

What are Nerf Bars? I know what a Nerf Football was.

Tone where can I get an "SS" emblem for my vx?

Scott is it hard to remove the emblems from my Dragon?

Dont mean to be a bother....but I know im in the right place for
answers!

Take care have a great day....planning on MOAB!!!

Tone
01/27/2003, 08:01 AM
I still don’t understand covering up leather seats - enjoy them, but regularly CLAEN and condition them. It’s like buying new tires but not driving them so you don’t wear themout...?

Tube steps are nerf bars - same thing.

SS is obtained when you remove VehiCROSS from the C pillar’s with dental floss.

Moncha
01/27/2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by 01 Dragon
;pg; ...Dont know how many of you watched Kung Fu but..
I have some more Questions....
I have a ton of sand around my house and want to TAKE IT IN
THERE!!! So should i just JUMP IN, or slowely wade in?

Is it loose or packed sand? Air your tires down a bit. (It's a little hard with the lower profile tires) then go for it. The guys that did VX Rally last year would have more tips.

MONCHA...any tips for applying Van Eyes, I just got them.

Make sure the window is very clean. I used Windex to wet the surface and get it into position.

Any one have seat covers on they VX's? Any recommendations?
I dont want to mess up the "fine Corinthian leather" in my
DRAGON WAGON! ;Db;

Todd Greene ( www.headblade.com ) has very nice covers for his seats. No replacement for correct maintenance though.

I went to the clubvmag site and saw a post about a brushguard,
a fellow vx'er drew it and it was AWESOME....are they still avail,
if so how much are we looking at? sorry i promise ill join the
other board. Also are the running boards, tubes available for us?
In the works

What are Nerf Bars? I know what a Nerf Football was.

Common name for the step bars on the lower sides of trucks.

Tone where can I get an "SS" emblem for my vx?

He reused the S's from the VehiCROSS on the side when he debadged

Scott is it hard to remove the emblems from my Dragon?

Not at all, here's the story (http://www.moncha.com/images/Modlinks/remove_logo.html)

Dont mean to be a bother....but I know im in the right place for
answers!

Never a bother and you are correct!!

Take care have a great day....planning on MOAB!!!

AnalogVX
01/27/2003, 08:18 AM
Let's see if I can answer some of these.

First off... JUMP IN THE SAND! Don't wait another minute. The trick with sand is minimal tire air pressure, about 18psi, so the tires have a larger footprint and they will "float". And in the sand speed and momentum is your friend. If you feel the tires loosing traction, back off the power a bit to regain traction. I have used 4L and TOD with success.

The front bar is for sale under a group buy right now. Do a search on this board or VMag and it have all the details. It looks like a really nice piece, just wish I had the extra $$$. Nerf bars are round and mount on the front and/or sides like runners and offer protection for the bumpers and rockers. Search for rock sliders on this board for another type of rocker protection.

I believe Tone's "SS" emblem is an old VehiCROSS emblem from the side of the VX . He cut off the "SS". It is not hard to debadge. I removed the Isuzu fron the rear of my VX with a large tongue depressor with an edge ground down on the end. (Remember rubbing popsicle sticks on the ground when you were a kid?). No heat but some patience, and I worked it right off. Came off pretty easily actually. I then used some Goof Off to remove any left over sticky stuff and Kit Scratch Out to remove any scuffs (just a small swirl or two). It all of about 15-20minutes. It is possible to save your emblems, just work carefully.

AnalogVX
01/27/2003, 08:19 AM
We must have been relying at the same time Moncha! I just take too long to type!

edyavno
01/27/2003, 08:20 AM
Details on the brush guard group buy going on right now (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=429)

geshaw30
01/27/2003, 03:42 PM
Some more advice on debadging at this link
http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/002175.html

I put van eyes on mine (can't afford the camera rig on a cop salary :o ). You might consider cutting it down into a "crescent moon" shape instead of putting that entire big ugly piece of plastic over your whole back window. Scott had a cutting diagram available on an old link but, simply put, you run about 4 to 5 inches from the top of the tire well as your center point then slope the cut down into a crescent shape.

Finally, DO NOT cover the Recaro seats. Some things are best just left alone....

Enjoy the ride...
________
Old Man Movies (http://www.****tube.com/categories/29/old-man/videos/1)

Baxman
01/27/2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by geshaw30
DO NOT cover the Ricardo seats. Some things are best just left alone....

Aren't those the bench seats that Ricky and Lucy had in their '53 Chevy? :laugho:

Rich is right, lowering tire pressure is essential, though 18 PSI won't be enough (I use 10-12, but have OBA). You have 18"ers so airing down will be more potentially problematic. Airing down in soft sand gives "flotation" so you stay on top of the sand instead of pushing through it. It also softens the ride and give a larger contact patch for greater traction.

In soft sand use 4-low. If there's risk of getting stuck don't turn sharply, and maintain your momentum. If you start to get stuck, there's two ways to handle it. 1) hammer the accelerator. 2) stop before it gets any worse and back-up. #1 is usually better, but after you get some experience, you'll develop a feel for which choice is correct.

Once back on pavement keep your speed and turns very reasonable until you air-up. You'll have very sloppy and unsafe handling, and heat will build in your tires with speed and distance.

When you can take the sandgrain from my hand... you will be ready! ;)

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2dc39b3127cce9ce7db1d15a40000005410

01 Dragon
01/27/2003, 09:10 PM
I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to read and reply to me. I will get started on the decal removal right away. I want to do it for the same reason Scott did it-the mystique. I get so many looks, I just think it will be awesome when they dont know "what" it is!
As for the Sand instructions thank you, I will follow them closely, and go where no VX has gone before....at least on these
trails!

Dont get me wrong I love the seats but it gets so hot and humid here that I dont want to hop into a hot leather seat in the summer.
Which brings another ? to mind how is the AC in these little monsters? The heat is terrific.

well thanks again for all the replies....I will let you know how i fair in the sand over there!

Moncha
01/28/2003, 07:22 AM
The interior actually stays cooler due to the lack of glass area IMHO. I first noticed that in my first VX compared to my old Integra. Of course, color has alot to do with that. I have no complaints on the A/C package on the VX. I set the temp to 74 deg and never move it unless the wife complains that it's too cold...

SGT.BATGUANO
02/02/2003, 01:12 PM
Saddleman makes some nice NEOPRENE seat covers.

Pros: Easy cleanup, won't freeze your ***** in winter, very soft underside shouldn't wear on the leather.

Cons: Not cheap, about $60 EACH, limited color choices, plain black or black w/red or blue inserts. Tight fit.