PDA

View Full Version : New Mod for Satellite Radio Folk

Joe_Black
07/03/2004, 11:32 AM
Just finished putting everything back together and it works great! Basically, I put my SIRIUS antenna inside the rear spoiler. Completely hidden and excellent reception from the highest point of the vehicle. I took plenty of photos and will put a how-to page up on my web site, but here's the basics for those fairly confident with this kinda stuff:

First, you need one of the newer micro-antennas (SIRIUS or XM, doesn't matter) cause you need the guts. That's right, take it apart as all you need is the actual antenna module. Once you have that, remove the rear spoiler per the shop manual directions. Remove the the third brake light array and feed the antenna cable through the same hole as the brake wiring and stop when you've got about a foot or so left before the module would go in. Take some plastic bubble wrap (the small bubble kind) and stuff in through the hole to either the left or right side. Use a dowel or something to pack in in fairly tight as this will keep the antenna from sliding around. Wrap some Saran Wrap or similar around the antenna module to protect from moisture and then work through the hole and into the bubble wrap, then pull in the remaining cable. Leave some slack, cause now you're going to pack in a bit more bubble wrap behind the antenna module to further secure it inside the spoiler. Now reassemble everything and run the antenna cable to your receiver. I pretty much followed the stock antenna cable routing which took about 30 minutes at a leisurely pace.

That's pretty much a general guide line, you can use other materials to secure the antenna inside the spoiler. I just used what was handy and also with the idea I may have to pull everything back out.

I should have the web page up in a few days once I get all the photos edited, so if the brief above doesn't get the idea across just hang on!;Do;

Maugan_VX
12/08/2005, 05:30 AM
Hey Joe, I just got my Pre-Xmas XM radio kit from the missus yesterday. I slapped that magnetic antenna on the roof right behind the roof rack bar and the rear spoiler. I'm thinking that its not a very good place to put it as I'm getting static (although that could be from the FM Modulation). So far I'm far from impressed with the audio quality of the whole setup.

Also, I'm thinking about how best to input the signal to the stereo. Going to have to pull the stock headunit and put my pioneer with an IPBUS on it.

VehiX
12/08/2005, 06:11 AM
Here's how I installed my XM Sky-Fi a few years ago.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0149.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_0149.jpg)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/pics2_0101.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/pics2_0101.jpg)

I ran the XM antenna right out through the hole in the roof where the stock antenna is located to hide the wire. I then ran the wire under the rear vent on the back of the roof and down along the passenger side of the VX behind the interior panels towards the front. I took a sharp turn right behind the front passenger seat and slid the cable under the carpet a few inches (where the front and rear carpets meet). I mounted the FM modulator behind the glove box in the dash. I hooked the XM antenna wire to the stock radio antenna wire at the back of the radio (about a foot from the back where the antenna wire connects to the radio). I mounted the Sky-Fi unit in the center console right next to the e-brake and drilled a small whole in the platic to tuck all the wires in directly beneath it. No wires can be seen AT ALL with this installation which is the way I like it :cool:

Operating the Sky-Fi unit from this location is very easy as it sits right below your hand while your arm rests on the center console. If you're not familiar with the Sky-Fi unit, this can be a distracting place for it but once you know were all the buttons are it's very easy to use. You could always use the remote control too for less distraction.

I do like the idea of having it tucked into the spoiler like Joe_Black has done here but would question it's reception in some areas for the XM folks. Sirrius seems to have better reception then XM when it comes to trees (with wet leaves on them http://forums.probetalk.com/images/smilies/icon_wtf.gif) or thickly settled areas such as cities or Mt. Sides.

If you have any questions, just ask :)

Joe_Black
12/08/2005, 07:05 AM
I do like the idea of having it tucked into the spoiler like Joe_Black has done here but would question it's reception in some areas for the XM folks. Sirrius seems to have better reception then XM when it comes to trees (with wet leaves on them http://forums.probetalk.com/images/smilies/icon_wtf.gif) or thickly settled areas such as cities or Mt. Sides.
I saw an animated representation of the respective orbits of the XM and SIRIUS satellites. XM has two satellites that sit stationary above the equator, one roughly aligned with the east coast the the other the west. SIRIUS has three satellites that move in a figure-eight orbit that fully covers the north and south american continents. In the race to get to market first XM sacrificed signal strength and coverage, but fortunately for them the complaints haven't been major.

Maugan_VX
12/08/2005, 10:15 AM
my coworker gets XM signal inside his office that has no windows.

thanks vehix, i have mine mounted in the same place....

Joe_Black
12/08/2005, 10:53 AM
my coworker gets XM signal inside his office that has no windows.
Both services have terrestial repeaters in many urban areas where satellite reception may be blocked by line-of-sight obstructions. I get my SIRIUS signal parked in the garage so it just depends on what's between your antenna and the satellite when there aren't ground-based repeaters. Wood, asphalt shingles, composites... these don't block the signal. My office is unfortunately not in an urban area and has a north-facing window and a steel roof, so with the indoor antenna sitting in the window I can receive signal until about 11AM at which point the satellite has moved too far south. I've never tried to figure out what time the next one came into view, but have concocted a plan to roof-mount an antenna when Facilities isn't looking. :p