PDA

View Full Version : Wheels....

technocoy
06/30/2004, 11:39 AM
I found these in a post and at first thought... UGH!, then i thought... BAD ***! after i borrowed someones properly angled pic and fit them into it. I think i will be buying these for my astral 99'.

what do you guys think?

wheel (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4364)

Cyrk
06/30/2004, 11:53 AM
Looks good, go for it.

Dallas4u
06/30/2004, 12:10 PM
I've seen 'em and I have to say I kinda like 'em!

Hanalei
06/30/2004, 12:15 PM
Individuality is a good thing, go for it!

technocoy
06/30/2004, 02:26 PM
thanks for the opinions! the more i look at them the more i like them, i'm just tryin' to imagine them as 20"s as thats the smalles size they come in... I'm thinking i could get these with a mean set of street tires or A/Ts then keep my factory rims with bigger tires for playing off-road and such...

i think the details of the wheels complement the VX.

Kahuna
06/30/2004, 02:38 PM
I know somebody else has a question about these wheels and then somebody else replied, "it looks like clowns should be coming out of your car". Well, ya know what, I like them. But who cares what we think. DO YOU LIKE THEM? Is all that matters!

jayfotos
06/30/2004, 03:01 PM
They are cool, on a blk or dark gray VX.....any other color VX, nah.

But the money you spend on those with tires.....get a SC.

On my VX, I'm starting from the inside out and keeping it close to stock as possible. I don't think the VX needs anymore bling bling, to each his own.;)

redline
06/30/2004, 07:04 PM
I saw these on a F*rd Expedition /got up close and the inside rim was loaded with balance weights. other than that very nice. Would these fit the VX?

mrtew
06/30/2004, 09:05 PM
I can't wait to see them on your truck! I think they look totally cool. Do it! Take some pictures!!! Post them!!!!! (just make sure not to go lower profile than you have to.... I've seen VX pictures with superthin tires on big wheels and it looks very odd. Get some rubber!

t2p
07/01/2004, 06:58 AM
But the money you spend on those with tires.....get a SC.
This (quote) basically echoes my thoughts .......
or - if your VX has alot of miles, I would put the money away and save it for a 'rainy day' ........ i.e. ........ motor or trans .........
I also prefer the VX stock or close to stock ....... I would like to have an another (aftermarket ?) set of (15" or 16") wheels to mount some 'gnarly' rubber for 'severe' use, but that is about it ........
well ... since I have stepped in to the 'devils advocate' role ........
(I will continue) .......
I'm also not sold on 20" wheels or rubber ....... not for the VX at least ............... one example - 265-45-20 ..... would have a very limited amount of 'sidewall' - dimensions around 4.5 inches or so ..... not even sure of availability ......... etc .... with this switch you are basically removing the 'U' from 'SUV' .........
again - I'm just a tad conservative ... attempting to show the 'other side' ............
although ........ I will begin to 'change my tune' when I see a pic like this:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2664&papass=&sort=4
after looking at this pic .... (and a few others) ... the OEM VX wheels do look VERY ......... umm .... normal ...........

technocoy
07/01/2004, 01:50 PM
First i don't know where the number are comparing the price of the wheels to a SC, i mean don't get me wrong, i want a supercharger just as much as the next guy, but that's nearly 3500.00 after install when i can get the wheels and tires for around 1600.00.

Now, to the stock look: I enjoy keeping the stock look on most things as well, but the wheels are just a crappy borrowed tropper design, and i don't feel they do justice to the VX's unique look and styling. BUT, i'm not completely sold yet on this design, so i do appreciate all the input from you guys. I like something that shows off the brakes and suspension.

as far as 20's with low profile rubber: The vehicross is a dual identity vehicle, on one side it's a mean *** four wheel drive, and on the other it's a sports car (interior, handling, power). now, i drove a gray one in greensboro with 19" wheels and a beefier street tire (i don't like rubber band tires) and it handled better and rode better than many cars i have driven. so the idea here is to give it it's props design-wise as well as satisfy the split personality. i will keep the stock wheels with off-road tires and run a larger wheel with lower profile tire for most of my street driving. I think this is a good idea, it allows me to use the off-road capabilities when i wish to and it also keeps me from buying a second car!! lol

so i get a good set of street tires and wheels, install the SC sometime next year (when warranty goes out) and keep my off road tires in the garage.

PS, i saw on TLC's overhaulin' that BF Goodrich is announcing a lower profile off-road tire soon. maybe i'll check these out!

again guys/gals... thanks for the opinions!

david

t2p
07/01/2004, 02:03 PM
???
the $1600 price seems low ..........
many of the aftermarket wheels I have seen - similar to the ones you displayed - were around that amount - without tires ....... $400 per wheel x 4 ....... $1600 .......
four 20" tires ........... price ? - probably close to $200 per tire .......
$800 ..........
and that would put the total over $2500 with mounting ..... tax ..... etc ..............
forgive me for my stance toward the 'stock look' ........ this has been my M.O. for a number of years now ....... after a brief experiment with aftermarket wheels when I was a kid, I have basically stuck to OEM wheels and tires ..... even when it meant 380hp through skinny rubber ..............

Dallas4u
07/01/2004, 02:22 PM
Here's a pic and a link to more info on the wheel:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/product/wheels/mbmbru.large.jpg

DiscountTire info (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?tpc=MBMBRU&tp=Truck)

technocoy
07/01/2004, 02:40 PM
i mostly agree with with the stock look idea.

the wheels are about a grand, and the tires i can get a discount on as my half-brother is a truck accessories salesman. (yay!) but yes the wheels can be had for only about 225.00 a piece. now i do like the thundars that you pointed out, but they are a bit more expensive!