PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Headlight Gasket

Hanalei
06/30/2004, 08:15 AM
Has anyone replaced the rubber headlight gasket? Both of mine came off and I can't get them back in. Also, where can I order new ones?

Thanks for your help!

Kahuna
06/30/2004, 08:37 AM
Go to St Charles (http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/parts_department.asp?LINK=Parts&MAIN=parts_department) . They are the best!

tomcat837
06/30/2004, 08:45 AM
Actually, just remove the headlights and then get some silicone glue and get them back in there. If you decide to get new ones from St Charles, they are about 15 bucks a piece, not bad. I will still re-enforce the factory adhesive with silicone because it will happen again and again and again. I did it with House clear adhesive (all purpose), applied it to the old gaskets and they haven't come off in over two years.

Julio

Hanalei
06/30/2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys, I will do that!!!!

t2p
06/30/2004, 10:08 AM
I recommend the purchase of a 3M product to adhere the gasket to the headlamp assy ......
3M Trim Adhesive .......... 3M Super Trim Adhesive ........ 3M Trim/Emblem Adhesive ...... ??? ....... 3M Super Duper Quick Tack This-and-That Adhesive .......
I can not remember the exact name of the product(s) ........ visit your local parts store - a parts store that specializes in body shop supplies ....... they will be able to recommend the correct product.
I would probably begin by applying adhesive to the 'flat' sections of the gasket and then applying the gasket in place (difficult to describe what exactly the 'flat' section is) ....... when the initial adhesive is dry and the gasket will stay in place, I would then probably apply the adhesive to the other parts of the gasket ....... this method may be slightly easier and less 'messy' than applying the adhesive to a large portion of the gasket and then attempting to fool with the sticky stuff as it is going every which way ......... including all over the lens ........

Hanalei
06/30/2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks T2P, I'll give it a try. I've been driving with no gaskets on my headlights so I hope I'm not doing any damage but I'll get the new gaskets asap and put them in.

Thanks for the advice.

Deathbyarchitect
06/30/2004, 10:23 PM
I have 2001 VX w/ 14k miles and mine came off couple of month ago.
I took my VX to dealer and they replaced both headlight assembly under warranty.
they told me that's the only way to fix loose rubber gasket.;eeky; ;eeky;

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/30/2004, 10:56 PM
clear GE RTV Silicone II........works like a champ available at Lowe's @ about $3 for a small tube. Been on my VX for 2yrs now and still holding strong!

100% Silicone
Use indoor or outdoor. Low odor. Watertight seal will not shrink and stays permanently flexible. Withstands the most extreme weather.
Good for all purpose glueing of medium to large size objects
Available in small tubes and caulking tubes for power-glueing sessions
Bonds with most surfaces
Appears dull when dry and is not paintable
Available in three colors clear, white and black
Works well under most environmental conditions
Tends to be less expensive by volume than other adhesives
Product Silicone II Household Glue & Seal
Manufacturer GE Silicones
Waterford, NY
1-800-626-2000
Availability All Hardware Stores
Pricing 2.8 FL. OZ. Tube ..... $ 3.00
10.2 FL. OZ. Caulking Tube ..... $ 8.95

PeteVX
07/01/2004, 06:20 AM
mine doesnt even have the gaskets, they were missing when i got my vx and i never bothered replacing them.

Does it matter, do they actually do anything?

Pete

Tone
07/01/2004, 08:10 AM
3M (or other brand) contact weatherstrip adhesive is the CORRECT type of bonding agent to use.

Joe_Black
07/01/2004, 01:36 PM
I'll second (or third) the 3M weather strip adhesive. Make sure to get the black rather than the mucous colored goo. I pulled off the grill and bumper cover to do mine. Took about two hours to completely clean off all the old adhesive from the lights and seals before replacing with the 3M material. Still holding strong and looking as good as new!

jimbo
07/01/2004, 03:49 PM
My new VX is in perfect shape, except it's missing one headlight gasket.

What is this about replacing it under warranty? My truck is still covered.

RobVX
07/02/2004, 08:26 AM
Jimbo:

I just visited my dealer and they are replacing the entire headlight assembly (including gasket). The top of my headlights (by the "horn" light) had UV damage. The dealer didn't give me any hassles. The lights had to be ordered; we'll see if they can keep from screwing something else up on the install!!!!

Rob

WormGod
10/24/2006, 07:58 PM
So is the 3M Weather Strip Adhesive still the choice for winners or has someone come across some new and improved goop? Wanna take care of this (again) before I reassemble the VX.

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/25/2006, 03:00 PM
I haven't had to touch mine again since using the GE Silicone and I posted up above in '04 which was a couple years after using it. so that means I haven't touched the seals in nearly 5 years...I used clear and neatly applied it and I'm hard-pressed to see anything was done compared to stock. I have no regrets whatsoever with the silicone.

I use 3M products at work and they are great... so do what your heart tells you to do.

Ldub
10/25/2006, 03:06 PM
I'm with Jolly Roger, though I didn't use GE, I did use clear silicone & it's been over 3 yrs.

Pghachey
10/26/2006, 03:27 PM
:confused: I get the idea of using the silicone sealer, but what did you use as instead fo the original rubber gasket? materials and size, or approximate would be helpful. Mine were gone when I bought my VX in January, and it really doesn't bother me other than when it's raining water does have a tendency to find it's way under the hood around the headlights. Thanks for your help.

VXR
10/27/2006, 01:15 PM
So is there any harm in just going without them? :confused:

Jolly Roger VX'er
10/28/2006, 05:04 AM
Mine were still there but falling off after 1-1/2 years of ownership...so I used clear RTV to re-install them. As others have mentioned in previous posts 3M makes a weatherstripping adhesive too for this purpose.

As far as I know the purpose of the gaskets was primarily to prevent wind noise (aka whistling) from air rushing in around the headlights at highway speed. Also seem to help with rain entering engine compartment too.

For those of you that are missing them and would like to try and buy them I suggest calling St. Charles Isuzu for price/availability.

http://isuzu.stcharlesauto.com/Department-Parts.aspx

WormGod
10/30/2006, 07:14 AM
I found that going without my passenger side gasket for a while was causing excess rainwater to get in and it was causing some minor rusting of some metal areas. It possibly aided in the failure of my battery as well, according to the tech that worked on my VX last. I have since replaced that entore headlight assembly and since I had the VX stripped down, I pulled just about every screw, nut, and bolt under the hood and greased them up before replacing.

Also, I pulled the gasket off of the unreplaced headlgith since it was already peeling back and I cleaned the headlight and gasket up really well. Instead of silicone this time, I went ahead and tried a high strength 2 sided tape from 3M. I lined the entire inside of the gasket with it and rethreaded it around the headlight. Let's just say it is so damned strong that I couldnt get it back off when I tried, heh. I appears to be a promising approach.

Pghachey
10/30/2006, 04:52 PM
Well, after searching just about every parts site I could find online and sending emails to some of them, including St.Charles, I just decided to find some rubber gasket material at one of the local car parts stores. I went to the closest one first, O'Reilly's, and found 10 ft. of 3/4" rubber gasket material with the flat side holding 3M tape. After working it around, without taking anything off from around, the headlights (after starting I thought it might have been a mistake) I think it looks pretty good. At some point I will do it again, now that I know what I'm doing, and avoid causing a couple of small rips in the rubber. It sure will keep out any water , which was the purpose of doing it in the first place. Thanks for your help.

VXIRONwoMAN
10/30/2006, 04:57 PM
I replaced mine at the dealer...it was covered by the warranty, but they didn't last. The adhesive came undone rather quickly. Any suggestions?

Ldub
10/30/2006, 05:01 PM
I replaced mine at the dealer...it was covered by the warranty, but they didn't last. The adhesive came undone rather quickly. Any suggestions?

Ummmmm...I suggest you read all the earlier posts in this thread. :p ;)