PDA

View Full Version : buying 99 vx

gurkha67
06/29/2004, 08:36 PM
I am considering buying a 99 VX but I am not all that familiar with Isuzu and the reliability and their maintenence record. The VX I found is a 99 silver With 35,000 miles on it.
It looks new in and out but I have yet to drive or look under the hood. There are no visible flaws anywhere on the outside. But, before I go talk and test drive is there anything that you could think of that would help me consider purchasing it??
I have noticed that some people have blown engines and thrown rods but how common is that? Are those due to lack of maintenence or abuse?? Or is ther a design flaw.
I do plan to take it in the woods and such but I plan to take care of it if I do get a VX
Any feedback would be great!!

Kahuna
06/29/2004, 09:28 PM
Boy...your opening a can of worms with all those general questions. Yes, a FEW Vx's have had a problem with blown engines. From what we can tell it's a design problem. However, many more VX's have never had this problem and probally never will. Window sticks, 00 & 01 chrome issues (very few), headlight gaskit. But hey......every car has it's problems.

If you do a search you will find answers to ALL your questions and then have about a million more after you read the threads.

It comes down to this, Do you love the car??!! If you do, than the few issues with the VX are trivial...except that blown engine thing;puke2; .

GET A CARFAX REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anita
06/29/2004, 11:16 PM
For me, the most important issues would be the car's past history and what kind of documentation there was on the maintenance of the truck. If you are buying from the original owner, the Isuzu warranty will expire. 99 VX's had a much briefer warranty life than 2000, 01's although the truck for all practical purposes is the same. Might be a good idea to invest in an extended warranty.

Have a good mechanic whether it is you doing the work or someone else. If you are considering an Isuzu dealership to do the work, ask around to see what the reputation is of the service department.

Make sure the CD changer works, that the windows rise without slowing down or going up askew ( a common fault with the VX), no wild fluctuations of idle, strange sounds...etc. Like Kahuna said... read read read the wealth of information found here.

Lastly, if there are other VX owners close to where your potential VX buy is, ask if they will take a look at it for or with you. Owners here on the forum are pretty willing to help.

Good luck in your purchase!!!;Dr;

lastmandrummer
06/30/2004, 02:28 AM
if u want something to just have fun with????
i got the VX you need my friend!....
although my 99' VX can be used on either woods or street....that of course will depend on how much you wish to spend.

$3,000.00+ a few hundred bucks in minor mods.....will get you way too much worry free fun in the woods!!!

$11,000.00 (see bottom link) will get you "head turning" street and "oh not that scratch my truck trail" in the woods fun!!!
it's your call so check it out!!!

http://home.comcast.net/~lastmanban...home.html-.html

if you like give me a call.....
609-502-3401

Dallas4u
06/30/2004, 07:47 AM
Well, I guess I should throw mine in there, too!

My VX Sale Page (http://home.comcast.net/~adam.briner/Index.htm)

tomcat837
06/30/2004, 08:48 AM
And mine too, with all the kinks taken out...

1999 Astral Silver - lots of TLC, look at my profile for mods and info.