PDA

View Full Version : supercharger thoughts

skunkworks
06/27/2004, 10:53 AM
I have been wanting to buy a supercharger since last fall when they were on sale. However that is the slowest time of the the year and combined with the holidays I procrastinated until the sales were over. I have since been waiting for the prices to drop again. Since I know what they could have been had for I refuse to pay the full price plus shipping plus the larger pulley. When I read that this all could be had for the basic list, a savings of $200, I contacted Alpine and have talked to them about ordering one. What concerns me now is the stories of poor fit and finish. Being a master tech like auto, and having been in the buisness of building street rods for years, the installation is of no real concern. However, spending 3 large for something with shoddy craftsmanship is of great concern.

The other thing that bothers me is that if the power does not really kick in until 4k rpm. That sounds more like a turbo. The advantage of a supercharger over a turbo is is off idle power increase. I had to make a quick trip to Chicago yesteraday and checked to see where 4k came into play. On hard accelleration the VX winds to about that before shifting. Speedwise, 80 mph is about 3k and 90 is 3400rpm . From this 4k would be about 105mph. I drive the VX hard but don't constantly floorboard it from a standing start or need a lot kick over 100mph. I would really like to find out how much a power increase there is in the lower normal driving ranges, like off line and 40-60 acceleration.

thanks listening to my rant
albert
________
WR450 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_WR450)

azskyrider
06/27/2004, 11:07 AM
Alpine quoted a price of $2920 complete without shipping.

How much was the SC when it was on sale?

Capri
06/27/2004, 11:40 AM
Just putting my 2cent in. I have been debating about SC also, one of the things I was worried about was factory warranty. Though I have a 99', so it will be up in a matter of 2-3 months. I also talk to the local dealership on what exactly is included in the powertrain warranty. From what I've heard, it's not very comprehensive, and that any problems I have chances are will probably still be in the hundreds, if not thousands.

As for the SC, I was skeptic of it at first, did a lot of searches on threads and etc. After hearing *many* people saying it's the best upgrade they've had on the VX, I decided to give it a shot. I went through Tone even tho Alpine was cheaper, I wanted to support him from all the other good experience purchases done in the past. The kit arrived a few weeks after what I expected, it was kinda disheartening that I couldn't get ahold of Alpine and find out what's going on with my order.

Tone ultimately kept in touch and helped out, got my kit. The shop I took it to was a very experienced induction, supercharger/turbo place, they try not to get into exhausts and other works. I find that niche' a lot better than other stores I've been to.

From what the techs told me during and after the install that while there were many customized works that needed to be done, it wasn't out of their reach or expertise. They said a lot of the eclipse supercharged kits and others are a LOT worse. They'd rank this in the above-average in terms of kit quality, not the best kind, but not nearly the worst ones out there. They suggest lengthen many of the hoses that were included, and that the SC fuel line be better protected since it was ruptured (during delivery?)

Performance-wise, I don't have any charts to backup what I say, but I do feel quite the difference during take off and after 30mph. Definitely feel a larger difference when I hit 60, getting to 80 or 90 was an ease.

I'm happy so far with the outcome, and that the installation didn't cost wayyy too much ($500 with all custom work).

MZ-N10
06/27/2004, 02:56 PM
the vx tops out at a hair under 4k rpm(hits the 115 mark). but it probably wouldnt be too smart to go anything over 130ish, cause the vx probably wasnt design for tat.

as for having a sc....i wish i had one....i wish i had 3gs to just drop on it...but i dont.....all the stories about 15.xx second 1/4 miles has really got me thinkin of buyin one....but morgan-tec(sorry if i spelt it wrong) is in teh process of building a turbo(for an axiom) so now i want to wait, never really like the idea of using power to make power.....
________
ROLL A JOINT (http://howtorollajoint.net/)

Tone
06/27/2004, 05:11 PM
This kit is the only option out there for us and for the money, there is nothing that can touch it. Power DOES come on just off idle, not at 4K - although 4500 IS the sweet spot of the motor so you will feel it more at that RPM. Fit and finish are not perfect but not near the issues so many of the whiny shops have made out of it. And it the kit was finished to the nines, it would be $4-5K and there would be more complaints that it was too much - that is what comparable kits for other vehicles sell for from other manufactureres. I have installed half a dozen kits, never cut an o-ring and never had any of the leaks discussed here.

The instructions are fairly complete but if you do not have mechanical ability, you should not attempt. The manual is available for download on my site BEFORE you make a purchase. Alpine has been notorius for being hard to get a hold of buth they do offer a great product for a reasonable cost. Price from me is now $2899 plus shipping.

If you can get 5 people together, I can offer a group purchase price of $2699 plus shipping. And BTW, turbos also take power to make power - I look forward to seeing the real cost in time and money for that kit if it is ever finished.

skunkworks
06/27/2004, 05:24 PM
Two questions:

1. Tone; does that price include the 5psi pulley?

2. Are there four more people out there ready to make the move and save some $$$

albert
________
iolite portable vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

Tone
06/27/2004, 05:26 PM
yes

azskyrider
06/27/2004, 05:47 PM
Tone: How much do you charge to install one?

billh23
06/27/2004, 06:37 PM
To Capri -- I had my entire engine replaced last week under the power train warranty. I have a 2000 with 52K miles, so my bumper-to-bumper was long over. I had a rod bearing fail and they installed a new long block to fix it. (engine swap). I wouldn't consider the power train warranty worthless.. does it really cover the orginal owner to 120K? I guess because I wasn't the original owner I am under a 6/60.

Tone
06/27/2004, 07:35 PM
Typically around $800 and it takes me about 6 hours with the correct tools. I was flown to Hawaii last year to do an install as was well taken care of while I was there - thanks again Tim!

WormGod
06/28/2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Tone
If you can get 5 people together, I can offer a group purchase price of $2699 plus shipping.

C'mon Tone, down just a WEEEEE bit more and I am on for this one. ;)

Especially after seeing what Jay just went through, I might need the extra savings to get this thing repaired fresh out of the box. :rolleyes:

VXtreme
06/28/2004, 08:37 AM
I figured I would throw my 2 cents in also. I have to agree with Tone completely. I had my S/C installed at a local Isuzu dealership by their master Isuzu mechanic. The install went very easily, about 5 hours. I have no complaints on the fit and finish at all. We elected to replace the o-rings on the injectors as they do tend to swell. We used a 3M Maroon ScotchBrite hand pad #7447 to smooth out the injector holes in the manifold before installing the injectors you won't cut the o-rings if you do this and it makes them go in a little easier. The only problem we had was there were no instructions on where to mount the throttle/cruise control cable bracket. We did call Alpine (got right through) and spoke to John who told us where it went. My suggestion would be to install it on the back of the S/C manifold BEFORE putting the S/C on the engine. There wasn't much room, but it did go on. The only problem we had was a very slight leak around the crush washer on the banjo fitting feeding the right side fuel rail. A little more tightening and no leak. Since installing the S/C the power increase is very noticible from the moment you put the pedal down to red line. It does come a little stronger in the upper RPM range, but it is noticable from the start. Bottom line.......it IS the best modification you can do to your VX.

autox-racer
06/28/2004, 09:16 AM
well after all the frustration im still glad I put a SC on the VX.

I towed my enclosed trailer this weekend and love the extra power. around 70mph the aero drag is a bit much for stock vx cruising down the highway but with SC it really makes a difference.

hughesdt
06/28/2004, 01:14 PM
I put my SC on with the help of a friend. Took us about 10 hours, and we cut an o-ring and had a fuel leak to tighten up. Made a noticeable improvement as AutoX and Extreme have mentioned. My favorite quote from the forum "She squats with authority now." I never had my VX over 100 till I got the super charger, just felt like I really had to push before. Now it is accidentally pushing to hard on the accelerator and look out. I waited till the warranty was up, and have about 30k on the motor with the SC, no problems except the pulley coming loose (made a lot of noise).

Tone has been great to work with, very responsive and always helpful.

How do I get a 5psi pulley? Came stock with 4psi, correct?

Dan