PDA

View Full Version : Who uses the VX's "power" setting?

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
06/26/2004, 07:22 AM
Just wondering who uses the "power" setting on their VX and there thoughts on how / when it should be used.

Hotsauce
06/26/2004, 07:43 AM
Uhm, theres another setting?

John C.

SilverBullet75
06/26/2004, 09:25 AM
I just leave mine on Power mode all the time. It drives much better with it on. Am I hurting the VX/Tranny by doing that?

SilverBullet75
06/26/2004, 09:26 AM
I just wish the dash light wasn't orange/red for the power mode... my peripheral vision sees it and always thinks it is the check engine light...LOL

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
06/26/2004, 09:41 AM
Yeah I was wondering if it hurt the tranny too, that's one of the reasons I asked. I also wonder if it affects gas consumption at all.

UNEVEN THOUGHTS
06/26/2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Hotsauce

John C.

Yeah man, there are the two buttons by the emergency brake. One's I guess for winter driving and the other button says "power", little is said about it in the owner's manuel.

Joe_Black
06/26/2004, 09:58 AM
Every Isuzu with an automatic I've ever owned since 1984 has a "Power Mode" button and they've always been in the engaged position. I know of nothing else.

Hello, my name is Joe and I'm a Power Mode addict... ;eekg;

Hotsauce
06/26/2004, 11:19 AM
I don't think the Winter button works, I pushed it today for the first time, it didn't snow, or even get colder.

John C.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/26/2004, 12:01 PM
I don't think the Winter button works, I pushed it today for the first time, it didn't snow, or even get colder.

John C.

:clap: :thumbup: :rotate: :laughg: :rotate: :thumbup: :clap:

info on power button:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3926&highlight=power+button

UtahVXer
06/26/2004, 02:04 PM
I haven't been able to tell any difference at all between the two settings, but I have an Interceptor installed so maybe without the Interceptor the difference would be noticeable.

AnalogVX
06/26/2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by UNEVEN THOUGHTS
Just wondering who uses the "power" setting on their VX and there thoughts on how / when it should be used.

The proper phrasing of this question should be "Who DOESN'T use the power button" :D

Mine is always on.

mrtew
06/26/2004, 08:16 PM
I like the way the VX drives with AND without the powerbutton pushed. I think without it pushed the VX feels lighter and peppier and almost more fun to drive and with it pushed it feels more muscular and faster and tougher. I drive with the powerbutton for a couple of weeks and then without it for a couple of weeks. That way I get to experience the best of both modes and my VX always feels like a fresh new car with a cool new driving experience. I haven't heard of anyone else that goes both ways here though :-]

nocturnalVX
06/26/2004, 09:41 PM

John C.

Well... technically there is, but since I superglued it in POWER mode I guess I only have the one now! ;pb; ;)

morgan-tec
06/27/2004, 12:08 AM
I keep mine on and i noticed about 40 more miles per tank of gas. I say go for it at leats for the gas milage.

Mtn VX
06/29/2004, 06:34 PM
Whoa, what a moron I've been! I've had my VX for 6 months now, and I just engaged the "Power" button today for the first time after reading these posts. It really IS like driving a totally different machine (especially accelerating up steep mountain roads)! Thanks for the heads up, and where's that superglue nocturnalVX talked about?

Simon Templar
06/29/2004, 10:51 PM
There was a lot of talk about this a couple years ago on the Vmag site.

The general consensus was that you did get an increase in gas mileage in addition to a snappier feel. Also, that it was actually easier on the transmission for several reasons.

Myself, I usually leave the Power Mode engaged. Not sure that I really get much better mileage....but mileage certainly does not suffer from it.

....sT

lastmandrummer
06/30/2004, 03:37 AM
It’s funny how this is one of the MANY TOPICS & pathetic marketing AREAS that Isuzu failed on!

The Isuzu VX was the last truck I found on an internet SUV search page back in 99' while looking for a new truck to buy (of course it could have been due to the (V) alphabetical order in the name.) I believe it was MSN auto shopper or something???? Needless to say I fell in love on the spot (looks alone) and ran out the next day to drive and maybe buy! & After seeing the potential for serious modern rally style off roading, not to mention great handling in the diverse climate of the east coast weather it came home with me 3 days later.

But not till after I purchased the truck did I even see the commercial/s for it (prolly due to looking for them on my own) although to the average "JOE" to even think of buying it for any other reason besides "it looks completely different even to this day (June 30th 2004) compared to all other SUV's in it's class" is the only true marketing ploy they have....and they did not even invent that unless you count the design team who built the damn thing. (Bottom line marketing for it and all other Isuzu trucks they make sucked & still sucks total ***!)

When I bought my VX I bought it for 2 reasons without someone steering me towards commercial compliance:

1. The looks were a complete & total head turner "like it or not" it made you look!!!! ha ha no matter what you were driving back in 99'...I always got to say...I WIN the looks battle ugly & odd, sexy & sleek or not mthr-f**ker!!

2. The vehicle was supposed to perform better than any other SUV on the road at the time in an "all around realistic/overall <for what it is & within reason> fashion".

Well in my opinion it did just this in every way you tried to make it or "realistically" put it through. The winter setting worked nice for those bad east coast winter driving days, and the power setting made even "the worst" aggressive driver seem better then they really were. The truck could withstand airborne off roading (within reason, but yet that was un-heard of by your typical showroom floor SUV at that time) "again we or it won!" & it really held it's own in the typical back woods off roading torture that most 4x4 lovers will try and get through. (Again understanding the whole "within reason term")
Sure my other "toy" truck back then a BIG *** FORD F-250 with approx 9" LIFT & 44" tires and 460 motor worked to the unfair & just plain wrong "max" will & would devastate the VX in swamp land, car crushing, car pulling or mud bogging etc, but no way can my FORD handle the more realistic whoops, tight trails, or rally style course like the VX could....and that most SUV people "if they even use their SUV for what it's purpose is for?...do".

All that said:

This is exactly the reason I’m not just tearing my VX apart to sell it off for parts at this point and might just keep it (fix it and use it again someday myself) unless I find the proper buyer that will truly rebuild it for active duty once again.
That’s the main reason I still have it....most potential buyers start off by saying well how many parts are good? If I strip it down how many parts are still in great shape to sell after I get what I want?......
I’m not hurting for money or down with that happening to a truck I loved and still love so much. When someone comes along that really wants the truck for good use, maybe (bring me a chopper) LOL I will sell it. If they don't? Oh well I got a killer rally truck to have lots of fun with without worrying about comedic stuff getting hurt during the fun. (Since of course the only serious damage to my truck is comedic)....

hell yeah to all the true VX people! Only wish I knew you all before my truck got messed up.

xdfarrx
06/30/2004, 08:57 AM
hijacked thread......

t2p
06/30/2004, 09:58 AM
The use of the 'Power' mode and fuel efficiency are (basically) contradictory.
More RPM = More Fuel.
Sure - there are more variables that determine fuel economy, but the RPM variable is one of the primary variables .......... when all or most other variables are constant, an increase in RPM will lead to a decrease in fuel economy.