PDA

View Full Version : Check transmission light

Andrey
06/25/2004, 08:01 PM
Well, after flushing the transmission with Royal Purple some time later "check" light comes on and goes away. Sometimes I turn off the ignition and then re-start. Anybody experience same ? ATF level too low/high ? When shop was replacing ATF they hooked the machine to the houses going into the radiator ??? (the previous time it was through the fill in and flush plugs on the gearbox itself... strange....

Dallas4u
06/25/2004, 08:39 PM
HUH? Filled the tranny with tranny fluid through the radiator hoses???? Are you SERIOUS!?! I mean, are you SURE you saw them pumping ATF fluid through one of the radiator hoses?

Ok, let's step back here... did they actually flush the tranny fluid out? If so, did you see them? If so, did you see where they hooked up the flushing machine? Was it to the tranny or the radiator? Did you have your antifreeze replaced at this shop at the same time?

Check the antifreeze (take off the radiator cap when the engine is cold and look for dark-colored fluid), also check the radiator coolant overflow tank and see if the fluid is darker and thicker than normal.

I would also get under the VX, after it's been running for a couple minutes, loosen the overfill screw and see if ATF comes billowing out. You may need to add a bit more in if needed.

Jeez... let's HOPE they didn't add ATF to your radiator!

Andrey
06/26/2004, 05:36 AM
no-no, not the radiator houses. three are two tubes going out of tranny into the radiator to cool off the transmission fluid. so they used those to exchange the ATF .

Hotsauce
06/26/2004, 07:15 AM
Did you pull the code that caused the light? Maybe they bumped a connector.

ATF transfusion is normally done through those hoses to the tranny cooler loop in the radiator. I don't see that causing the problem, unless the new fluid itself caused something due to different viscosity or something.

John C.

SGT.BATGUANO
06/27/2004, 12:26 PM
Check the fluid level. Eng. warm and running, in park. Make sure vx is on level surface.