PDA

View Full Version : Rustproofing?

I_Wanna_Retire
06/25/2004, 12:02 PM
My family recently moved from North Carolina to Wisconsin, and I am concerned about our 3 VX's rusting away due to the Wisconsin winters (well, actually, due to the salt Wisconsin puts on her roads in the winter). Has anybody else (in snow states) done without rustproofing/undercoating? Were they sorry they did not get the rustproofing/undercoating? Thanks

xdfarrx
06/25/2004, 08:37 PM
Eastwood Co. makes great stuff. They sell it in stores out there, but have no distribution in Cali. Its for high resoration and preventitive. Also check out Griots Garage, they also provide some stuff. Good Luck

Simon Templar
06/25/2004, 10:27 PM
Is Ziebart still around? Used to be about the best 'proofing you could get.

But, I'll admit to not looking into such things for the past 20 years or so.

....sT

SGT.BATGUANO
06/27/2004, 12:21 PM
Yes, ziebart is still around. I had them do my proton late last year.

I only had 550 miles on it at the time, but they still gave it the used car rustproof warranty. I paid around 300 for undercoat and inside the panels. I've seen a lot of pics of vx's with rusty frames (even southern/western states) and wanted to minimize any problems. It also helps deaden road noise.

innercore
05/08/2006, 07:51 PM
I can type all I want but check it out for yourself. I think you will find it helpful for dealing with rust and protecting your VX.

http://www.rustbullet.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=120

I will be buying some and will let you know how it works. Thanks for the idea Joe Black!

climbcovey
05/09/2006, 09:46 AM
Here in indiana they rely heavily on salt because they do'nt like to plow. I have had no problems with rust yet. the frame and undercarriage have some "surface staining" but rustproofing won't fix that as I recall they don't do the moving parts. no sign of body rust as of yet, i check regularly. Its probably a good idea, but does it need done urgently, No. Plus my research has shown that most rust begins at the union point of metals, especially dissimilar metals, like steel body panals with aluminum bolts. The rust proofing while providing some protection does not penetrate deep enough to reach these union points unless done during manufacture. this is what the guy at the body shop told me, further investigation at the rustproofer proved it. Just look at the warranty, most don't last that long.