PDA

View Full Version : High Rev. on Startup

Child's Play
06/24/2004, 10:29 AM
Ever since I have bought my VX, when I start it in the morning, it intially rev's to around 2000 RPM on startup and then settles down to around 1000 RPM. Is this normal?

So then, I go start my VX at lunch today, it revs to 2000 RPM and stays there. I shut if off and retry, no luck, still "idleing" at 2000 RPM. So I drive a short distance, 1/2 mile, get out and get something to eat, left the car running, come back out and it is idleing normally. Anyone else experienced?

I'm just concerned about the first and second issues due to our supposed "Oiling" problem to the 1st cylinder. I don't think it's real safe for it to be reving that high on start-up.

Any help? Thanks!!

Anita
06/24/2004, 10:33 AM
fast idle (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3667&highlight=fast+idle)

Check this thread

Child's Play
06/24/2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks Anita.

I had read this thread previously and it doesn't seem to have the same problems I am experiencing. I have changed my PCV, due to this previous thread with no help to the problem.

Mine idles fine when it is in gear, it doesn't have a rough idle what so ever, it just revs really high on start up (or at least it seems like it to me), and then sometimes to continue reving real high for quite some time. Just wondering how everyone else's VX's startup, like how far does the RPM's reach on start up, and has anyone experienced the high idle for an extended period of time? Maybe time to visit a dealer!! Oh No!!!

zadam123
06/24/2004, 06:07 PM
I am having the same problem and i also changed my pvc. If you find a fix let me know. This only happens once in a while so its hard to find the problem

adam

MarkLane
06/25/2004, 02:04 PM
Hi Annawan - Maybe accelerator cable/linkage binding?
Regards from Maine - Mark Lane:(

t2p
06/25/2004, 02:19 PM
I think the answer is in the thread that Anita posted .........
my guess is the issue is caused by a vacuum leak .........
hose ....... fitting ......... gasket(s) ....... o ring(s) .....
especially if it happens at cold start up ........... and then goes away ...... (think Space Shuttle and O Rings) ........
I believe this was more of an issue with the early (1999) VX engines .......... there may be a TSB on this ......
I do know this same type of problem was common with the optional SOHC Ford 4.0 engines fitted in the Ford Explorers in 97 and 98 ....... faulty/leaking intake manifold o rings were the culprit ...... mine had to be changed two times .....

SilverBullet75
06/25/2004, 03:12 PM
Hi,
I have a similar problem.. which has/has not been touched upon in the forums. If anyone has a link that may lead me to a fix, please lead me there :)

My '99 has the Misfire problem that sometimes gets bad enough to turn on the check engine light. I replaced the Fuel Filter and PCV Valve.. Caused the idle soaring problem and occasional start/die/start/die problem when warm.
I heard about tapping on the fuel rail as a fix on an earlier thread...My question is: Why does tapping on the fuel rail near #5 temporarily fix the problem (1 week or so)? Is there a seal that is not sealing at the base of the injector?
I also heard about replacing the fuel pressure regulator (have not tried this because I question why the tapping thing works.)

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks!:p

t2p
06/25/2004, 03:30 PM
SilverBullet:
May (also) be a vacuum leak.
???
There may be a stored code that will point you to the correct location ......... MAF ......... IAS ....... whatever ......... if the check engine light came on
Your story is almost exactly the same one that I experienced with a Ford 4.0 SOHC engine when faulty intake manifold o-rings would cause a vacuum leak (at cold start up) .....
the engine would race when started ............. .the engine would stumble ............ and the check engine light would illuminate. The O2 sensor was replaced ....... this occurred another time ........... after the second time, they (finally) treated the problem and not the symptom ........ replaced the intake manifold o rings .......

Joe_Black
06/25/2004, 06:36 PM
My fiance has an '01 Trooper and her's does the same thing as well as my '01 VX. Both get their PCV valves changed every-other oil change. My '99 VX doesn't do this and it has over 100K miles on it. My suspicion is the MAF, but it hasn't been quite annoying enough yet to delve into.