PDA

View Full Version : sway bar question

dstruction
06/23/2004, 11:02 PM
Hi, I just had a question about the front sway bar. I now have my 36 inch tires on my vx. I have full steering but the tire hits the sway bay on sharp turns. My question is has anyone drove w/out the front sway bar? With out the sway bar I would have perfect steering. what are the pros and cons (if any) of removing it completly, and is it even possible? Thanks for any help.

SGT.BATGUANO
06/23/2004, 11:16 PM
It's possible to remove, but without it you will have extreme and possibly dangerous sway. The only folks removing them are actually temporarily disconnecting them for off-road articulation.

Don't do it. You'll lose all the vx handling characteristics

Triathlete
06/24/2004, 09:54 AM
As Sgt said, removing the sway bar will have adverse affect when driving on the street. I would not suggest removing it. You might want to adjust your steer stops (think thats the correct name) to prevent the rubbing. You will lose a little of your turnability but it will prevent tire damage.

Were are the pics?????????????

Green Dragon
06/24/2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
It's possible to remove, but without it you will have extreme and possibly dangerous sway. The only folks removing them are actually temporarily disconnecting them for off-road articulation.

Don't do it. You'll lose all the vx handling characteristics

Good advise here. I removed front sway bar & disconnected rear sway bar for off road handling. The car was real squirrely & caused some seat pucker on curvy roads. VX with those size tires borders on unsafe. especially mountain driving. I have since reinstalled front bar & reconnected rear and & am once again pleased how well the VX handles with BFG MT 265- 75 16s & a 3 inch lift.

Bob F

Mr. I-MAN
06/24/2004, 10:50 AM
Here is a sales pitch, buy swordys sway bar quick disconnects. Ok swordy, now where is my commission?;Dy;

t2p
06/24/2004, 11:29 AM
you can drive most any other SUV out there to get an idea on how the VX would handle with the sway bars disconnected ........
just kidding ....... although the prev generation Explorer - even with quality aftermarket shock absorbers fitted ...... reminds me of a VX with blown shock absorbers and sway bars disconnected .........
amusing .... funny ......... ironic ............ everybody is 'up in arms' over the Firestone tires on the (prev gen) Ford Explorer ........ meanwhile, the suspension and brakes are the real issue with the Explorer .......... the engineers at Ford fitted the Explorer with one of the worst handling/suspension packages ever ........ and a mediocre braking system ...... (even the models equipped with 4 wheel discs and ABS had poor stopping distances) ........

dstruction
06/25/2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks all. I replaced the steer stop bolts and upgraded to longer/stronger ones. This completly eliminated all rubbing and I can still turn sharper than I need to. Thanks everyone for the help.