PDA

View Full Version : Bra question

calilu
06/20/2004, 03:13 PM
I recently bought a bra from Colgan. I was reading their troubleshooting guide and it said to remove the bra if it rains. It warned there might be damage to the car's finish if the backing gets wet.

Anyone have any problem with this happening? Seems impractical to have to take it off whenever it rains.

This is a great site for a new owner like me!

THanks

nyc #1 ironman
06/20/2004, 04:57 PM
Yes, it discolors it to a yellowish. I have the same bra on the front and constantly forget to take it off, so wind up paying for it later by trying to buff out the yellow...

XCross69
06/20/2004, 05:03 PM
I too have that bra on my VX and it stays on even in the rain. I just make sure I keep a good wax job on...and I have yet to have any discolor happen.

Heraclid
06/20/2004, 05:22 PM
Like XCross69 said, I think you just keep a couple of layers of good wax on there. My Dad just got a Honda Pilot and I picked up a bra for it and gave it to him today for Father's Day. The instructions that came with it say the same thing - to make sure it is well waxed and free of any debris upon installation. It does seem mighty inconvenient to take it off all the time and a lot of times when it rains you may not be able to attend to that right away. I think that if the area is prepped with wax and you make a habit of removing it and cleaning under it at least once a week, it's probably perfectly okay to just get to it when you can after it gets wet. I don't think letting one sit for a little while will hurt, but maybe if it bakes in direct sunlight for long enough and often enough. I never had a problem with the one I had on my Avenger. After seeing how one dressed up the look of the Pilot and noticing how I've been picking up little nicks through the clear coat on the leading edge of my hood, I'll be looking for one for my VX real soon.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/20/2004, 05:26 PM
I have the bra from ISUZU I bought from the dealership about 3yrs. ago and what they mean is it's okay to get wet (i.e. drive in the rain and snow) but don't let it stay soaked and bake out in the hot sun as this will "bleach" the paint so to speak.

I simply pull the hood piece off when wet, turn it inside out, and let it dry out somewhere.

I un-clip the right and left fender to inner hood pieces and let them hang like dog ears over the front fender wells to dry out when vehicle is sitting.

Just Don't let it bake in the sun wet on painted surfaces (doesn't seem to hurt the front cladding) and it works like a champ.
I've had NO discoloring in 3 yrs so long as I follow this procedure.

P.S.--I just drove from Erie, PA to Columbus,OH last weekend in thunderstorms and heavy rain with the bra on...when I got to the N.H.R.A. Pontiac Excitement Event at National Trail Raceway I simply removed the hood piece; turned it inside out, let dry out in cargo area and flopped the fender to inner hood flaps down over wheel well with fur side up and left it out in the sun while I enjoyed the races...when it was time to leave...all was dry!

WormGod
06/21/2004, 08:28 AM
What happens with discoloring of the paint is, the metallic flakes in your paint begin to dull (because metallic flakes are what reflect the most light so they get the hottest in UV). Evenly (without the bra), this is unnoticable, since there is equal dulling all the way around. With the bra, you will see an even line in the paint discoloring where the paint is covered by the bra vs where it is not. I have yet to see a VX stock color with metallic in it, so dulling will be less likely to appear anytime soon.

Most discoloring does not occur because of rain. It occurs from UV. The paint bakes in the sun, and if the bra is covering the paint, that particular area will not bake evenly with the rest of the hood. I used to have a bra for my old Rodeo. I only used it for long road trips. Out of about 10 road trips (all in the sun), I actually could begin to see a line where the bra covered the hood, comapred to where it did not. And waxing is a myth when it comes to this. Paint still bakes, heat is heat. My Rodeo never went 2 weeks without being waxed and machine buffed. I am not saying you are getting "0" protection from wax und the sun. I am saying, the best protection from UV rays for paint, is staying in the shade. Unfortunately, this is what the bra does.... adds shade to that area of your hood. :(

As for the bra fading and aging, never put any silicones or conditioners on it. Simply wash with soap and wipe dry. Getting it wet will not damage it, but letting it sun dry when wet will over time.

Just be more concerned with the effects the bra could have on your paint, and not the bra itself. The bra is cheaper to replace than the paint. ;)

t2p
06/21/2004, 10:00 AM
WG:
The Firefox Red Mica and Dragon Green Mica colors are metallic.
Or something like that ...................

WormGod
06/21/2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by t2p
WG:
The Firefox Red Mica and Dragon Green Mica colors are metallic.
Or something like that ...................

Could be. Never seen a Foxfire up close, and dont recall the Dragon Green, since I didn't have mine long enough to even realise it. :p Many silvers rely on a metallic to get that gunmetal appearance, so it may be that they also have flake in them. I just never noticed or paid attention. *shrug*

johnnyapollo
06/21/2004, 11:58 AM
I left the bra on my Proton for 2 weeks, through rain and sun. Blue marks were left in the finish which simple washing would not remove. I have to polish them out.

I believe the discoloration was due to color being leeched out of the bra and absorbed into the finish due to contact. Now I only use the bra when travelling and immediately remove once I arrive at my destination.

-- Best, John

Dallas4u
06/21/2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
Many silvers rely on a metallic to get that gunmetal appearance, so it may be that they also have flake in them.

Flakey? (http://home.comcast.net/~adam.briner/images/Hood.jpg)

WormGod
06/21/2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
Flakey? (http://home.comcast.net/~adam.briner/images/Hood.jpg)

Case-n-point. ;)