PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a mod.

jayfotos
06/20/2004, 12:16 PM
Ok, I don't know about you guys but, flipping the seats forward and strapping(clamping) them down is a pain in the ***(not to mention I have to move up he drivers & pass seat to do so).

So, normally I just drop the seat backs and put stuff on there and go. As you can see I have a bass tube there and is the same height as the seats when down, witch givse somewhat of a level surface from the top of the seat(when down) to the top of the bass tube.
It urks me to slide anything across that vinyl, witch can rip or ware down very easyly.

My idea is to put some kind of rubber "custom cut" mat on the back of the seats.....maybe a black rubber diamond plate, glued or velcro.

What cha think, or has someone beat me to the punch?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/901mod.jpg

Dallas4u
06/20/2004, 12:21 PM
Bought a plastic mat for the Rodeo that does this... plastic mats velcro'd to the back of the 60/40 seats (which actually DO flip down to be totally flat), and large rubber mat for most of the back trunk area. It works well and does keep the carpet backs in decent shape.

I'd say it looks like a good idea... try it and shows us how it turns out. Only problem I have found with velcro is that it seems to get mighty hot in my VX when sitting for a while, and the sticky back to the velcro softens up and un-sticks most the time.

Joe_Black
06/20/2004, 12:33 PM
My Merkur XR4Ti had a snap-on carpet backing that protected the rear seats when they were folded down, so I was planning on taking the VX rear seat backs to the local upholsterer and doing something similar. That way you get the protection but can easily snap the carpet panels off for cleaning or appearance.

jayfotos
06/20/2004, 01:07 PM
I agree about the glue issue in the heat(living in AZ.) I like the idea of the snap on stuff, I'll lookinto a upholsty shop.

Any idea where to find rubber matting, large enough to cut to size?

johnnyapollo
06/20/2004, 01:53 PM
Hey Jay,

They make some inexpensive rubber floor mats that are almost 1/2" thick - designed for a shop floor. I've seen them at Costco - you could check Sears. I think they could be trimmed to fit and would offer the most protection.

-- Best, John

Triathlete
06/20/2004, 02:30 PM
How 'bout doing it in wood with legs in the rear to keep all that weight off the tube also. Then you could cover it in thick black rubber or vinyl yo match the interior.

jayfotos
06/20/2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Triathlete
How 'bout doing it in wood with legs in the rear to keep all that weight off the tube also. Then you could cover it in thick black rubber or vinyl yo match the interior.

That sounds a bit extensive, The tube is strapped/clipped down and easyly disconnects if I wanted to get it out of the way. It's a tough tube and I don't worry to much about puting any stress on it.