PDA

View Full Version : anyone have this happen?

shoota77
06/20/2004, 09:56 AM
So, I go to leave my house today...like I do everyday...and I get in the VX, start her up, go to shift into reverse, and....nothing. The shifter will not move at all. Can't push the button in to get anything engaged. I am parked on a steep hill, rear of the VX faces down the hill, nose pointed up, but I've never had any problems before.

So, anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

SGT.BATGUANO
06/20/2004, 11:14 AM
Is this how you usually park? I mean is this a first time occurence?

Your shifter interlock linkage may be out of adjustment or force bound by the weight of the VX and the park pawl in the trans.

You have a couple options:

See if you can have a friend or neighbor push/ bounce at the back while you try shifting (key in "On" position and engine NOT running) and try shifting into neutral, if it shifts apply e-brake.

Remove the shifter handle and console section to expose the shift interlock and linkage and temporarily disable.

Not too sure about this one but I think there's a solenoid as part of the ignition/ brake/ shifter interlock, try temporarily disconnecting it or your battery.

Start using your e-brake when you park on hills.

Hope this helps.

azskyrider
06/20/2004, 12:17 PM
Not to worry this happens to almost all automatics in any type of car when parked on an incline or decline.

Depending on the incline or decline all you need is to move the vehicle a bit while trying to get the VX into gear. Move your butt in the seat. If the incline is too great then you will need to have some one push the vehicle up the hill to take the load off of the drivetrain while the other applies the emergency brake to keep the vehicle from rolling back to the original position. Then get in and move from park to drive or reverse.

When parking on a steep gradient you want to make sure when coming to a complete stop to apply the emergency brake hard before putting the transmission to park. This way your car will not roll down hill during engine shut off after park and load your drivetrain.

This has happened before to me in many vehicles as I never use the emergency brakes after parking and especially in an incline or decline parking position until some one else told me the trick;)

Good luck!

WyrreJ
06/27/2004, 11:39 AM
The VX manual says to always engage the emergency brake before shifting out of gear, even if you park on the level. I grew up driving stick, but for some reason I've always called the emergency brake, the "parking brake." Maybe because that's all I've ever used it for, well that and doing 180's.

lafter54
07/09/2004, 06:14 PM
I have had this happen many times. It is frustrating but the manuel says it is a safety measure. You need to release your e-break and then shift and make sure you don't jam the shift when you park it. Pull & relkease the e-break and it will disslodge. I speak from experience. :-)

jayfotos
07/09/2004, 06:28 PM
I always use my parking break when parked on a incline.

dutchie
07/09/2004, 07:01 PM
:rolleyes: You guys are talking about the handbrake?????
I don't know anybody in Japan or Europe who doesn't engage it, when parking....MMM it's the little cultural differences which keep life interesting...

AnalogVX
07/09/2004, 09:05 PM
You mean it supposed to be used to park the VX and not engage the LSD rear diff while offroad?:D

Leah
07/10/2004, 10:11 PM
A wise man once said, "Park is not a brake." Always - always - engage the parking break when parking...always.