PDA

View Full Version : Battery goin out?

volume311
06/19/2004, 11:10 AM
Out of the blue, the engine cranks with a slight hesitation to begin with. Checked with Voltometer after a night, reads about 10V. With engine running about 13.8-14V. The hydrometer still reads "good battery" it's the OE maintenace-free Delphi battery.

Time to replace? It is 3.5 years old. I didn't do any thing to the electrical system in a long time to cause a draw, but I think that the battery just doesn't hold a charge any more?

PS. I'm in South Florida so with our Heat/Humidity the batteries supposebly don't last long. And I can't seem to find an Interstate battery with the same 600-CCA rating (I can get a really good price on them).

-Mark

omegavx
06/19/2004, 12:09 PM
You might check into the alternator, I know if the alternator is bad, you can get a drain on the battery, then if you get it recharged it can drain the battery again. This ofcourse assume you check the battery and it doesn't have any problems (ie: take it to a autozone or somthing and have them check it to see if it will take a charge or not). If it does, then take your truck in and see if its the alternator. If it is, replacing the battery wont resolve the issue.

PeteVX
06/19/2004, 07:13 PM
if you get 14 volts with the motor running the alternator is working fine. only way to test battery is a load test for which you need a tester that will put a simulated load on the battery and check the volt drop. anyplace that sells batteries will test it for you though i have heard stories of some unscrupulous parts stores saying 'yep yer batteries toast!' when its actually not, just so they can sell you another.

Here in minnesota we get extremes of heat and humidity and sub zero temps which are the hardest on batteries, life expectancy on a vehicle that gets used year round is about 4 years here, less if you dont use it all the time. I invested in a load tester a few years ago...about $40 i think it was. Have also had good sucess with the optima spiral batteries lasting longer and taking abuse.

Pete

PeteVX
06/19/2004, 07:18 PM
forgot to add... if you disconnect the positive lead and use a multimeter set to measure amps connected betwen the +ve lead and +ve post on the battery when the doors are closed and the ignition off the meter should read zero. (If it doesn't, there is a current draw that is draining the battery, start pulling fuses till it reads zero and you have found the circuit with a problem)

EclipseGSX
06/24/2004, 09:00 AM
I think there were some issues with the OEM Vehicross battery. Just order an Optima red top and never worry about it again.

volume311
06/24/2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks, I just got an interstate battery, MT-35, 550CCA.
It's a tad shorter than the stocker, but it starts right up. Too bad it's not a maintenance free, but I got a decent price for a new one, about $50. As long as it starts and runs I am happy.;pg;
But them optimas sure look good under the hood. /drool

PS. Does the difference in CCA important, the stock was a 500, but when looking up batteries I got listings for 800 CCA batteries?

jayfotos
06/24/2004, 06:53 PM
I think I'm my 3rd battery, the heat kills'm

Bill Brown
06/27/2004, 11:16 AM
Same experience, here.

Originally posted by jayfotos
I think I'm my 3rd battery, the heat kills'm

SGT.BATGUANO
06/27/2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by volume311
it's the OE maintenace-free Delphi battery.
-Mark

My stock oem is a YUASA.