PDA

View Full Version : Morgan-Tec intake finished, fit, and tested!

morgan-tec
06/18/2004, 09:14 PM
Well i finished the prototype today and did some testing. It is the exact same intake as i build for the Axiom but has a different mounting bracket. This intake comes with Hose Tecniques silicone couplers, stainless steel hose clamps and T bolt clamps, Stainless steel Rezton cone filter and shipping to the Us for $200. I also offer powdercoating for $40. This kit did 10.5hp at the tires on the dyno on my Axiom and i would asume the same on the Vehicross. I also redesigned it a little after taking a verbal lashing about the initial design. Now there is less restriction on the main bend due to the larger # of sections. The tube is made from 304 Stainless steel 3" tubing. Please feel free to ask any ? you may have. To place an order please Pm me or go to my site www.morgan-tec.com Here are some installed pics.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/Vehicross1.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/Vehicross2.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/195531/vehicross3.jpg ;Db;

Cyrk
06/19/2004, 06:57 AM
Nice work!

VX922
06/19/2004, 08:13 AM
nice workmanship

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/19/2004, 02:45 PM
Looks really nice! You might want to see if anybody would be also interested in a version that fits supercharged VX's as well!

UtahVXer
06/19/2004, 07:26 PM
How about a heat shield to go with it, separating the filter from the engine compartment?

morgan-tec
06/19/2004, 07:38 PM
I looked into doin that on my Axiom and just gave up since getting it to seal against the hood would be a little bit of a challenge. It is completly possible but i do not have plans as of now to do that.

UtahVXer
06/19/2004, 09:04 PM
I have a K&N on my other truck. They use a tubular "gasket" across the top of the heat shield which compresses against the hood when you close it. See pic (http://www.kandn.com/images/l/57-1506.jpg) .

nocturnalVX
06/20/2004, 01:42 AM
How do these things stack up against stock filters/ aftermarket "washable" filters?

Looks like a very cool mod, and I would be interested in adding this to my VX if, in addition to the added Hp, I was sure it could keep feeding clean air (even off-road).
Oh... and the hood needs to be able to close! :smack: :winky:

Dallas4u
06/20/2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by nocturnalVX
Oh... and the hood needs to be able to close!

AH YES! That, my friend, WOULD be nice... considering the HotShots/Moody fiasco. I'm sure Mike has that all in check. Both intakes are a similar design, but I like the looks of this one more... I've never been much of a chrome/bling kinda guy.

Joe_Black
06/20/2004, 12:36 PM
Well folks, what you see is the first VX Morgan-Tec intake which I'll be testing and reviewing once the powder coating is complete. I will be fabricating a heat shield for it as well and will take plenty of photos and provide plans once complete. Stay tuned!

morgan-tec
06/20/2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by nocturnalVX
How do these things stack up against stock filters/ aftermarket "washable" filters?

Looks like a very cool mod, and I would be interested in adding this to my VX if, in addition to the added Hp, I was sure it could keep feeding clean air (even off-road).
Oh... and the hood needs to be able to close! :smack: :winky:

These filters use a stainlees steel screen for the filtering duties. Which means that it will stay cleaner a lot longer than a gauze filter. And if it ever does need cleanning just simply throw it in the dishwasher and then reinstall when dry. The filtration is comperable to that of a K&N and i have had no problems with it on for a year now.

And yes the hood does close and clears everything by at least 1.5".....;Dr;

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/20/2004, 06:05 PM
I'm wondering if it still wouldn't be a good idea to buy one of these without powdercoat and send it out to be ceramic-coated; especially if Joe Black (or anybody else on their own) creates a heat shield for the cone-filter.

I like the look of the powdercoat but still would like to go the ceramic-coat route...perhaps powdercoating afterwards for aesthetics.

I've even given some thought to perhaps running naca ducts to the cone filter which would have a heat shield between the filter and engine and ceramic coating on the intake-tube to motor?

Perhaps run Naca Ducts from the grille holes adjacent to the turn signals under the main grille or create vents on the front cladding or pull in cool air from behind bumper somewhere???

morgan-tec
06/20/2004, 08:24 PM
If you are concerned with the possibility of the tube heating up and acting like a heat sink then you could caramic coat it if you want. The powder coating will act as somewhat of a shield but not as good as a true ceramic coating. I also do have access to tigh temp colors which do insulate a little more than standerd colors.

Joe_Black
06/21/2004, 05:07 AM
The amount of heat encountered underhood, especially where the intake tube is located, just isn't that critical. Sure, you could shave a few degrees of the intake charge, but a ceramic coating will stabilize at ambient which is what you're trying to avoid. You have to remember how ceramic coatings block heat, as they're priamrily designed for exhaust applications. For the short run of our intake and the lack of direct or radiant heat sources you just won't see any benefit from a ceramic coating. Remember, you're trying to fight ambient temperatures. You'd need some magic wrap to actively cool the intake.

MrCrowley
06/21/2004, 06:59 AM
Pull cooler air from the hole in the inner fender and just replace the stock airbox with one that holds a cone in it. Cooler air coming in from the hole is better than insulating warmer air with ceramic coat (probably cheaper too) plus- no hood seal.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/21/2004, 01:17 PM
thanks for the replies guys...I've been brainstorming this ceramic-coating idea since I've come across other intake tubes for other vehicles advertised as such...an example is here:

http://www.focussport.com/coolflo.htm

****quote from above website:

FocusSport Cool-Flo Air Intake System
FocusSport is proud to offer the Cool-Flo air intake system. Don't be fooled by other systems offering no protection from engine heat. This unit comes complete with our heat shield and rubber seal that meets up with the hood to reduce the surrounding air intake temperature by as much as 50% when compared to our competitor's versions. By reducing intake temperatures we are able to take advantage of the cooler (more dense) air resulting in improved throttle response, better combustion, and more power.
Other features include all tig-welded construction and polished ceramic coating to aid in heat deflection.

I see that this particular "cold-air" setup would be longer than our tube so perhaps the coating would benefit a longer tube more than our short one and I already knew that insulating the tube wouldn't benefit us if we're simply drawing in hot air at the filter...I thought that using the existing hole as MrCrowley suggests along with perhaps either ducting more air via nacta ducts along with a heat shield would allow cooler air to enter and some sort of insulation such as ceramic or otherwise would keep the air cool 'til it reaches the engine. I am somewhat concerned with the close approximatie of the upper radiator hose to the intake tube which is unavoidable...so I figure insulate it so long as you are drawing in cool air....a waste to insulate if you are drawing in hot air.

This intake-tube along with a good hood insert Mod/complete hood design Mod that would extract heat away from the hood compartment would probably be the best way to go.

Joe_Black
06/21/2004, 03:30 PM
Apologies on my earlier posting as I didn't specify you should always attempt to draw in cool charge-air whenever you can. As for the ceramic coating on intakes, it's just a bunch of marketing hype. Yes, you could probably discerne a measurable difference in the intake air, but only a few degrees at best. Now if the ceramic coating were several millimeters thick with an air gap, that's another story entirely. ;Do; In any case, take a look at professional race cars that are turbo-charged to see how they handle their intake cooling. You'll notice there's not much there other than high-quality fittings except for heat shields around the turbo area. Why? Ambient temperature again. Whatever coating or insulation you put on there is going to stabilize at whatever the consistent underhood temperature is. That's just plain physics. Heat shields and such are used with great effectiveness to protect from radiant heat sources, like exhaust manifolds and turbos that get really hot. We don't have these things under the VX hood. Find a good source of cool air (fender, snorkel etc.) and get it to the engine. Don't waste your $$$ on coating the intake.

If you're really serious about getting a denser air charge to the engine, which is why you want it cool, then invest in the supercharger or look into water injection. Water injection would be the most economical and offers a great deal of adjustment and flexibility. Otherwise you may want to look at that JDM ground-strap on eBay. I hear it comes with a bridge now... ;pg;

skunkworks
06/21/2004, 05:07 PM
The best thing you can do is start out with as cold as possible air going into the pipe. Remember that air is not just sitting in there waiting to get hot, especally at RPM, it is in and out rather quickly.

albert
________
Volvo D5 engine specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Volvo_D5_engine)

morgan-tec
06/21/2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
Looks really nice! You might want to see if anybody would be also interested in a version that fits supercharged VX's as well!

I would need a donor car to prototype on to do this but it is a possibility if someone close to me is willing

tomcat837
06/22/2004, 05:32 AM
I am in South Texas if you need me...
oops, don't have an SC, sorry, but I am willing to test anything else!

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/23/2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys for the info...I wasn't sure if these ceramic-coated intakes such as for the Ford Focus were as Joe Black stated mostly "marketing hype" or not. I follow your line of reasoning and it makes good sense. I am familiar with turbos and the advantage of utilizing an intercooler to cool the compressed charge about to be fed into the cylinders during the intake stroke thus minimizing the risk of detonation.

If it wasn't for my factory warranty I'd have a supercharger slapped on my VX already!

I'm looking for a promising intake set-up like this one along with an exhaust mod of some sort and whatever good hood insert mod/hood mod Joe Black or others can concoct because it "shouldn't" void the warranty if one can reverse "i.e. change-out" the intake mod back to the stock set-up if there is a problem down the road.

again...thanks for the food for thought on this...and thanks to Morgan-tec for creating this intake!

morgan-tec
06/23/2004, 07:37 PM
I also build custom mufflers for any application, if anyone would be intrested.

Joe_Black
06/24/2004, 07:23 AM
I also build custom mufflers for any application
Really? Think you could tackle one for my 1947 Caterpillar D6?;po;

Seriously, if it was reasonable I'd like to get one in stainless that approximates the appearance of the OEM unit. I've got plenty of pictures!;Do;

xdfarrx
06/24/2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by MrCrowley
Pull cooler air from the hole in the inner fender and just replace the stock airbox with one that holds a cone in it. Cooler air coming in from the hole is better than insulating warmer air with ceramic coat (probably cheaper too) plus- no hood seal.

I heard someone suggest removing the insulation was good... as well dynamatted the hood in some way. Any thoughts????

morgan-tec
06/24/2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
Really? Think you could tackle one for my 1947 Caterpillar D6?;po;

Seriously, if it was reasonable I'd like to get one in stainless that approximates the appearance of the OEM unit. I've got plenty of pictures!;Do;

hhhmmmmm. well a D6 huh....i bet i can try..... j/k
Anyways i can build you one that will wled right in where the stock one was, please check my site for prices and sound clips;
www.morgan-tec.com (Morgan-tec.com)

MZ-N10
06/24/2004, 11:24 PM
do u build custom exhaust systems?
________
Vaporizer volcano (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

morgan-tec
06/25/2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by MZ-N10
do u build custom exhaust systems?

No just the mufflers, you would take my muffler to a shop and have them install and or build you a new system for it. I am working on getting a bender but that is atill a ways off for now.

Sheik-YurBooty
06/25/2004, 10:39 AM
can you please explain what the intake does? Does it add power & what about gas comsumpsion? Does it save gas or burn more? Thx , Btuce

MZ-N10
06/25/2004, 02:46 PM
the intake itself shouldnt add fuel comsumption.....

adding cold air shouldnt increase fuel consumption...it should give u more horsepower so u should acutally get better milage per gallon
________
VAPORIZER WIKI (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

morgan-tec
06/25/2004, 08:15 PM
The intake kit lets your engine breath a lot more air into the throttle body faster. This makes more hp, and really increases your throttle response. I did get 1.6 more mpg on average by what my stock computer said.

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/26/2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Sheik-YurBooty
can you please explain what the intake does? Does it add power & what about gas comsumpsion? Does it save gas or burn more? Thx , Btuce

It all depends on if you can keep your lead foot out of it! Usually one cannot deny flogging those extra ponies! Yee ha...giddie-up!

Jolly Roger VX'er
06/29/2004, 10:12 PM
http://www.aempower.com/pop_intakeTemp.asp

thedutchguy
06/29/2004, 11:07 PM
[bold]
This kit did 10.5hp at the tires on the dyno
I would sure like to see the dyno printout of this!

morgan-tec
06/30/2004, 12:23 AM
No problem, PM me your email and i will scan it and send it to you.

Joe_Black
06/30/2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks for posting that AEM link JollyRoger! For those looking at that system you'll note that there's absolutely no insulation or any exotic coatings on their cold-air intake systems. It's all about getting cooler air from somewhere other than the engine compartment.

I've almost got my templates done for the air box to use with Mike's intake once it arrives. If it looks good enough I'll share with the group.;Do;

xdfarrx
06/30/2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
Thanks for posting that AEM link JollyRoger! For those looking at that system you'll note that there's absolutely no insulation or any exotic coatings on their cold-air intake systems. It's all about getting cooler air from somewhere other than the engine compartment.

I've almost got my templates done for the air box to use with Mike's intake once it arrives. If it looks good enough I'll share with the group.;Do;

I asked this earlier... Remove insulation is better for a cold air draw? correct if I am inferring right.