PDA

View Full Version : SC came today!

jayfotos
06/15/2004, 02:42 PM
That's right, in all its blacked out glory(looks like it was powder coated flat black). Having it installed on Thursday with ceramic break pads as well.

YEEEE HAUUUUUWWW!

Cyrk
06/15/2004, 02:43 PM
Enjoy and speed safely!

Dallas4u
06/15/2004, 02:53 PM
Lucky dog... I remember when mine showed up! Nothing (at the time) made me happier!!!!

Have fun!

AlaskaVX
06/15/2004, 02:55 PM
One thing I didn't notice was that you are not supposed to go out and hall some *** right after you get it installed. You are supposed to just putt around for 15 min. until the ECM is adjusted then give it some gas and feel the difference! Enjoy, I know I do everyday!

jayfotos
06/15/2004, 04:12 PM
The one bad thing is that they(Alpine) did'nt include some cruise control braket or some'n so I can't use my cruise crontol for a while til they get the part in(3 weeks or so)...no like I use it anyway.

Off hand does anyone know the milimeter size of the 5psi pulley? I'm just double checking I got 120mm.

Billyphxaz
06/15/2004, 04:14 PM
How much is the S charger and where can I get one resonable?
How much is an normal install too?

Thanks Billy

jayfotos
06/15/2004, 04:37 PM
your looking to spend close to 4g's installed.

to buy one go here-

http://www.alpine-developments.us/index.html

Dallas4u
06/15/2004, 04:56 PM
How much did you end up spending on the install... all said and done?

jayfotos
06/15/2004, 05:41 PM
Check out my first post.....going in on Thursday.

I'm sure I'm going to get kicked in the nuts when it's all said and done...stay tuned.

You have to factor in the new gaskets, o-rings and belts as well...amounst other stuff.

Dallas4u
06/15/2004, 05:43 PM
Oh, sorry... damn, what am I thinking? I said you just got it, and I was the second person to post! Damn... loosing it.

jayfotos
06/15/2004, 06:07 PM
I hate bringing my car in to the shop, your at the mercy of them.

I know this is a simple "bolt on" and should not take to long if they "knew" what they were doing......they gave me a estimate of 10 hours and I'm sure if they got it done sooner.....they will still charge me for the 10 hours.

m-fer's

Dallas4u
06/15/2004, 07:02 PM
Ha! You never know. The shop I put it in took almost 3 days... I paid around $700. They were REALLY nice, and the owner took a ride with me when he was 'almost' done, but they don't live on charm alone.

It depends. Good lcuk, keep checking on it, and take it back to them for other mods (that you can't perform yourself) if you think they did a good job.

jayfotos
06/15/2004, 07:46 PM
I brought my truck there to get my breaks done, did a good job. I supplied them with all the parts, but now I'm switching out my pads with ceramic ones.

The other pads are waaaay to noisy.

VXtreme
06/16/2004, 11:51 AM
I had my S/C installed at the local Isuzu dealer. Their master Isuzu mechanic did the install, in their shop, with their equipment for $300.00 cash. This all was done duringt regulart business hours. The mechanic just di not work on any other Isuzu's unitil he finished mine. It took 4-1/2 hours to do the complete install. This guy is really great!!! He gave me a new serpetine belt, new injectors, flushed the radiator and brakes all for the $300.00. What is interesting, is that the entire dealership has adopted my VX as their own. Everytime I come in to the dealership, they all parade out to see the S/C VX and ask what else I have done to it lately. If I trip a computer code, they come out and tell me what it is, no charge. I had a code come up for the MAF about 6 months ago, my mechanic buddy gave me a MAF off a 2001 that had a complete engine change for no charge. It turned out that there really wasn't anything wrong with my MAF. After talking to John at Alpine Developments, he said that with the 5 PSI pulley, sometimes after driving at higher speeds under boost for a period of time, the MAF registers that too much air is going into the engine and trips a soft code. It resets itself after a few start ups and there is no need for alarm.
Anyway, this is classic case of not what you know, but who you know. This is by far the best dealership I have ever worked with on any of my cars. They know what they are doing and always insure that they do their best job on anything they do on my car. I wish all of you could have the same experience at an Isuzu dealership that I have had. Today my buddy is going to install my Interceptor Shift Kit, again for no charge. I always let him take it for a drive when he's done, and he always comes back with BIG grin on his face.
As far as taking 10 hours to do the job, if your mechanic works really slow and does not have a lift or all the tools he needs, it MIGHT take 10 hours to install. It should be about a 4-1/2 - 5 hour job for someone that knows what he is doing.

jayfotos
06/16/2004, 12:48 PM
SEE, why can't I get that kind of servise.

Your a lucky man, the shop I'm bringing it to is all set up...it's a HP shop and deals with all this type of stuff...but, I still don't trust them.

AlaskaVX
06/16/2004, 01:25 PM
Took them over 10 hrs to do mine! I can't believe it only took him 4.5 hours! How many bolts did he hand you at the end of the install!? "Umm these go somewhere, AHEM, I mean these were "extra" parts." LOL J/K

johnnyapollo
06/16/2004, 03:08 PM
I'm looking to finally install mine and haven't found a mechanic I trust yet. Still actively searching. I may end up using some Isuzu mechanics that used to work at a now defunct local dealer. They still service Isuzus but can't cover warranty work.

-- John

AlaskaVX
06/16/2004, 04:29 PM
Hey Johnny, if you already haven't done so, go to all the 4x4 and racing shops around and just BS about your car and see if they really want to do it, and see what kind of people they are. Thats how I found the shop I wanted to go though anyway. Some old Isuzu mechanics might be the way to go though.

VXtreme
06/16/2004, 05:55 PM
Sorry, no extra parts!! We did have to call John at Alpine Developments to ask where the roller assembly supplied for the throttle/cruise control cables hooked up to the S/C assembly. You can save some time by putting it on the back of the S/C manifold before you place the assembly on the engine. Maybe they have improved their instructions since my install, in mine they did not even mention how to do it. My advise is to call John if you get stuck. He has been very helpful. Actually, it was about 5 hours from start to finish. Started at 1:00PM and finsihed just before 6:00PM. Started right up and absolutely no problems since the install.

jayfotos
06/16/2004, 06:17 PM
That's the thing with my kit, it did'nt come with the cruise control stuff. They said it will ship in 3 weeks or so. I'm guessing it's some sort of braket or some'n.

I told my mechanic about it and the Alpine boys said it was'nt a big deal if you don't use the cruise control. I don't mind, I never use it.....but I have to bring it back to get it installed($).

Tone
06/16/2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the plug on where to buy Jay... you could bolt the bracket and cruise cable on your self too.

Zu4two
06/16/2004, 07:14 PM
The 5 pound pulley measures about 52mm across the tops of the pulley ridges where the belt rides.

Jay, if you're not comfortable with Apex, you shouldn't take it there. I myself have full confidence in their abilities and patronize their services whenever something is beyond my expertise.

Anyways, Ben's too nice to be a M-Fer :)

As for the cruise control bracket, I'm still waiting for mine from 2 years ago.

I'm going to Yuma tomorrow, but depending on how late I get back, I'll try to stop by the shop.

And by the way, the place to buy the SC, is thru Tone. His customer service is far better that Alpine's.

jayfotos
06/16/2004, 07:39 PM
I'm just being a brat.....

I know Apex knows there **** and Ben's great.....I don't know him or Apex that well, I'm going off your recommendation(being your a brother VX'r).
I dropped my truck off today and they start working on it tomorrow, here's my list of what's happening-

1- SC install
2- new ceramic pads
3- new headlight bulbs(one blew out....and if anyone out there replaced their bulbs with those blue bulbs.....make sure to buy some back ups)
3- check levels in dif and trans(had fluids replaced, but don't trust the people that did it....man, I'm a prick)
4- exsaust chrome tip tacked to pipe(after time it slides down and vibrates)
5- Maybe do an "good"oil change, but he's going to call to give me the bad news on ho much this is going to cost and if it's a slight tap to the nuts, I'll pay the $60.
5- Try to find me some replacement sway bar bushings.

I'll have to wait and see how much he charges me;)

Oh yes, Tone is a good place to buy stuff....bought my PV muffler from him, but Alpine had a better deal on the SC.

jayfotos
06/16/2004, 07:57 PM
ZU-

PM you, your mailbox if full-

I dropped the truck off today to get the install done tomorrow. Ben said you were coming by, I wanted him to drop me a line if you showed up...wanted to swing by and meet you.