PDA

View Full Version : Detailing the Plastic

jimbo
06/14/2004, 10:29 AM
What is everyone using to detail all the plastic panels on the VX?

I've tried a few products but have trouble keeping them from looking a little smudgey. (Rubbing - Rubbing - Rubbing)

Navigator
06/14/2004, 10:39 AM
...What you want is something like Meguiers Back to Black.

Any product made for dash boards and trim that has UV protection is fine. I use Black Magic, some hate it because it tends to collect dust over time and is greasy, but if you touch up your VX daily, or several times a day like I do all you'll notice is a deep rich shine :yes: You'll get many opinions on this topic, and there is plenty of coverage in the SEARCH feature. Enjoy your VX :luck:

t2p
06/14/2004, 10:43 AM
Jimbo:
I have tried four or five products so far .......... (sorry, I can't recall the names at this time) ........... and so far .......
Mother's Back To Black is my favorite.
Helps to give the cladding a nice even 'rich' look - not greasy.
Streaks appear much less than with the other products.
Also appears to wear very well.
I do not like how this product - or any similar product - works on the hood insert (so far). Currently, I am using Rain-X on the hood insert.

Maverick
06/14/2004, 10:47 AM
formula 303... expensive, but well worth it..

Green Dragon
06/14/2004, 12:07 PM
Spray it with Line X;Db;

tomcat837
06/14/2004, 12:47 PM
Get it chromed!!!

Now, that is a heck of a MOD!

TDUB
06/14/2004, 05:18 PM
I second the 303. By far the best and I've tried lotsa stuff. Good for all soft material, leather, tires, etc

johnnyapollo
06/14/2004, 05:26 PM
Maguire's Endurance - last for weeks not days.

-- John

joesvx
06/14/2004, 05:55 PM
back to black

Chopper
06/14/2004, 06:03 PM
If you call Maguire's, they say their" trim detailer" product was designed specifically for the clading on GM vehicles(AKA ISUZU) like the Avalanche. Same plastic. Around here at least, Wallyworld was the only vendor. Now they dropped it so I get it from Maguire's. We use it in the detail bay... like 4 or 5 bucks a bottle, we get 6 at a time. Great s... Take your time,no streaks brings it back nicely.

dogue
06/14/2004, 07:08 PM
When I had my VX I always used Stoner Brand Trim Shine. I thought it looked most natural, not too shiny.

omegavx
06/14/2004, 09:48 PM
I second Maguire's Endurance :thumbup: I use the Gloss version and it works really well.

Hanalei
06/15/2004, 06:00 AM
I just bought Maquires Vinyl and Rubber Protectant and Shine. Haven't used it yet but I've heard good things about it. Anyone else use it?

t2p
06/15/2004, 06:04 AM
Has anyone used and/or compared 303, Back to Black, Endurance ...... ???
Inquiring minds want to know .......

tomcat837
06/15/2004, 07:44 AM
Hanalei,

I use that one(McGueiar's), and I have to say, it is fantastic. Lasts about two weeks if you drive everyday. Stays on even after light drizzle, runs off a little under heavy rain conditions, but it repels dirt and dust as long as it is on...

visconte
06/15/2004, 02:17 PM
is better than Maguires, just mho

Sheik-YurBooty
06/16/2004, 03:29 PM
Its a toss up between meguires & 303. If you want more shine , go with meguires. Now if you want a cleanier look for the long run, I believe that 303 works best. Meguires tends to pick up more lint & small debries. I use em both , yet I mostly use Meguires

Heraclid
06/16/2004, 03:34 PM
Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss Tire Protectant Gel. Applied correctly, it won't look greasy, and it won't streak if you let it sit for a day after with no rain before getting wet. Has a lot of longevity. A little goes a long way - I've had my VX over a year now, the same bottle of Meguiar's just about the whole time. I used to apply it a bit more often, but now that I have the hang of it, I don't need to. I just now need to get another. Haven't tried the Mother's because I haven't had any reason to switch.

migil
06/17/2004, 01:05 PM
I remember reading lots of posts where other VXers warned about cladding protection products containing alcohol as it "dries up" the plastic and eventually would lead to cracks.

Guess what: I was yesterday reading the back label of a Back to Black bottle and it has a warning that clearly states "This product contains alcohols". Needless to say that was enough for me to put it back on the shelf.

t2p
06/17/2004, 01:43 PM
I feel terrible ........ my cladding is not even four years old ......
sniff .......
easy on that stuff, kids ! .........
Migil - Thanks - I will look into the warning ........... maybe try Meguiars ..... ???
(and how in the heck do you spell Meguiars anyway ?) ........
but so far, I'm sold on this Back to Black stuff ......... alcohol and all .......
sniff ....... sniff ......... kids ! ......... enough !

johnnyapollo
06/17/2004, 01:50 PM
Endurance is almost pure silicon, I believe. I think that's why it lasts so long.

-- John

Chopper
06/17/2004, 05:59 PM
My only deal with the endurance stuff is that it never dries. Used it a few times on my tires and put it on the shelf. The Stoner tire stuff works better....so does the Meguire's spray stuff. Call them and get the trim detailer...white liquid, 4 bucks. Gotta buff it off about an hour later so the fuzzies don't stick. My .2

tomcat837
06/17/2004, 06:11 PM
My vote is for Meguiar's (this is the correct spelling), NXT generation Tech Protectant for vynil, rubber, plastic. This stuff is made of engineered synthetic polymers.

Creates shine and richness to dashboards, tires and trim.
Helps restore original color to older, weathered surfaces.
Patented antiozonants help prevent premature aging and deterioration
Protects using UVA/UVB inhibitors to help reduce fading and cracking

You can always call 1-800-347-5700 for free, expert car care advice

www.meguiars.com

migil
06/18/2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Chopper
My only deal with the endurance stuff is that it never dries.

I noticed the same thing when I started using it, however I reduced the amount of product used - Granted, you'll need more elbow grease to properly distribute it. After applying Endurance to the whole cladding I then eliminate the excess with a clean cloth leaving the cladding surface a lot less "greasy", which attracts less dirt and dust.

Heraclid
06/18/2004, 03:53 PM
That's exactly the trick with Endurance. Use less of it, make less go farther. Like you said, that requires a bit more elbow grease. That will make it less greasy, but probably still a little bit so. So go back over it with a clean cloth to take away that extra sheen. It'll look great the next day and stay nice for quite a while and after a few washings.

That said, I am not a fan of using it on the tires, either. I always use spray-ons, either Armor All Tire Foam or the Meguiar's product (not sure of the exact name). If you prep the tires first (spray, wash with soapy water and scrub real good with a tire brush, rinse), regular Tire Foam does quite nicely. One I stay away from is Black Magic.

I have been curious about NXT and did some research recently. It gets very lukewarm reviews. I'm going to finish up my bottle of Zymol and then switch over to Zaino Bros. As for rubber and plastic trim, plus the rails/rack, wing, wiper arms and plastic under windshield - I've used the Meguiar's Endurance on that as well with nice results. Same method as described above for cladding. Just keep it off the glass and wiper blades.

Something I just tried and highly recommend is Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Foam Cleaner/Conditioner for the Recaros. WAY better than wipes, works in nicely and it makes them look great without being greasy. I like them to look cleaner and for the color to be richer, but I don't like the wet look, and this stuff gets it done. Some wipes actually seem to DRY OUT the leather and make it LOSE color vibrance.

Tyler
08/12/2004, 01:23 PM
Like many of you I tried tons of products to clean the cladding. I never liked the look of the cladding shiney or glossy and was getting frustrated. But..........I did find, much by accident, the perfect cleaner. Windex "multi-surface". You will have to do it many times to remove all the oily products that were used before but once its all cleaned off the Windex works perfect, dosnt streak and leaves the cladding a nice dark grey flat color.

jimbo
08/12/2004, 02:48 PM
I use 303 now and it lasts the longest of any products I have used and gives a nice deep grey.

Leah
08/13/2004, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Tyler
Like many of you I tried tons of products to clean the cladding. I never liked the look of the cladding shiney or glossy and was getting frustrated. But..........I did find, much by accident, the perfect cleaner. Windex "multi-surface". You will have to do it many times to remove all the oily products that were used before but once its all cleaned off the Windex works perfect, dosnt streak and leaves the cladding a nice dark grey flat color.

How long have you been using Windex? What happens when the cladding is left in the sun? Will the cladding fade?

I know from past experience that using certain 'treatment' products that weather causes the product to turn white. Someone on this site had said they had never used any sort of treatment on the cladding and they never had trouble with fading. I've used Mother's Back to Black per suggestions on this forum and I've been thrilled with the outcome. I'd much rather use nothing - if that's possible.

Hanalei
08/13/2004, 05:41 AM
What a bunch of dedicated little VXers we are!

I used the Meguires Plastic and Rubber Protectant and Shine and it works beautifully. Very, very easy to put on, no rubbing at all. The cladding looks new and it lasts for quite a while. Highly recommended. I would spray it on a towel and then apply it so as to not get it on your paint.

Maugan_VX
08/13/2004, 01:48 PM
Go to your local boating/marine store. Pick up a bottle of the cheapest teflon wax you can find. Apply as if you were applying it to a boat.

It'll shine, and repel at the same time.

Leah
08/13/2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Hanalei
What a bunch of dedicated little VXers we are!

I used the Meguires Plastic and Rubber Protectant and Shine and it works beautifully. Very, very easy to put on, no rubbing at all. The cladding looks new and it lasts for quite a while. Highly recommended. I would spray it on a towel and then apply it so as to not get it on your paint.

Wow! This sounds great! Will it turn white, fade, run, have streaks or anything in the weather? How long does it last.

I think the ulitimate treatment for the cladding is lineX or Rhino Lining because that is permenant. If I had the money, that's what I'd do.

J La
08/14/2004, 10:04 PM
I picked up some Dupont "Teflon" (i think) in a spray bottle cause I was sick of the back to black washing off in all the rain we have had here. And using it for over a month now and I love it. Haven't used Maguires, but just thought I'd throw another hat in the ring.

Leah
08/14/2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by J La
I picked up some Dupont "Teflon" (i think) in a spray bottle cause I was sick of the back to black washing off in all the rain we have had here. And using it for over a month now and I love it. Haven't used Maguires, but just thought I'd throw another hat in the ring.

Where can the Dupont Teflon be purchased?