PDA

View Full Version : offroading poll

BBVX
06/04/2004, 06:21 PM
Not a poll... more like a few questions trying to equate wheeling habits and mods to trail damage. Basically, how far can we push the CV joints? Consider this the unofficial offroad info thread.

1 - tire size? what psi?

2 - lift?

3 - locker?

4 - ball joint flip?

5 - other mods? (ex. sliders, tie rods, skid plates, etc...)

6 - do you run disconnected? front and rear?

7 - most important - what have you broken on the trail and how often? explain (if you want)

Thanks
Brian

BBVX
06/04/2004, 06:31 PM
1 - 33x10.5x15 @ ~ 15psi
2 - Yes
3 - no, just riding the brake pedal
4 - yes
5 - Swordy sliders and tie rods, front bumper and winch, rear bump stop extensions
6 - not disco-ed yet, thinking about it...
7 - sheared off tie rod, front diff exploded while riding brake, haven't lost a CV or axle, yet (knock, knock)

Brian

Green Dragon
06/04/2004, 06:58 PM
1 - tire size? what psi?

265-75-16 BFG MT 15 PSI

2 - lift?

3 inch

3 - locker?

ARB Front

4 - ball joint flip?

Had Flip with spacer but changed back to original as I had Camber problem.

5 - other mods? (ex. sliders, tie rods, skid plates, etc...)

See signature below.

6 - do you run disconnected? front and rear?

Ran disconnected but reconnected as I did not like the way VX handled.

7 - most important - what have you broken on the trail and how often? explain (if you want)

1 Axle- 3 CV Joints some light body damage- Crushed PV muffler.
Gas Tank Skid plate unrecognizable. Never broke a Axle or CV Joint unlocked but if you really want to wheel you need a locker & the front end (IFS) is too lightweight for Xtreme wheeling. You just cannot do tough obstacles unlocked unless you take a strap.

VX has only three issues when Xtreme wheeling
a. Clearance
b. IFS
c. Driver error.

For General off road use VX is hard to beat but for Xtreme wheeling My Jeep J10 Pickup will now (almost built) be my vehicle of choice.

MOAB is not even close to xtreme wheeling. (Pritchard excepted)

You Play- You Pay

Bob F

Reg Hinnant
06/05/2004, 06:43 AM
BBVX,
GranPaw Bob's answer is all you need cause he's done it all in the Green Dragon! :clap: :yes:

BaM*BaM
06/05/2004, 02:23 PM
http://www.users.qwest.net/~pempem/mouse%20frightrun.gifSwordy http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/121rubi-med.jpg & Green Dragon (Grandpa Bob)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/501/36hellsrevengeup.jpg are VX Gods!!! http://www.red-sector.com/forums/html/emoticons/notworthy.gif

Triathlete
06/05/2004, 04:38 PM
1. 31x10.5 16 BFG ATs 20-24 psi depending on the terrain. Will soon replace with 33x10.5 15 Swamper TSLs (for offroading only)

2. 3 inch OME912 springs, cranked torsion bars, ball joint flip

3. No lockers...yet! Use the parking brake some.

4. Yes

5. All 3 Trooper skids...need more!

6. Have not ran disco'd

7. Have bent the Trooper skids...fixed with pry bar, mangled a wheel center cap...they are not cheap, some custom pinstripes courtesy of EVERYTHING in the desert having thorns, cladding has a few gouges, gas tank skid has some nice gouges, tail pipe tip is a little flatter on the bottom side.
Fortunately have not broken anything major...knock on wood.:smack:

Green Dragon
06/05/2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Triathlete
1. 31x10.5 16 BFG ATs 20-24 psi depending on the terrain. Will soon replace with 33x10.5 15 Swamper TSLs (for offroading only)

Unless you are planning to wheel in the MUD. I think you should reconsider your choice of tire. Overall a good radial AT tire would perform better in most conditions including Sand & provide you with a bigger footprint on rock etc.

I run the BFG MTs on the Dragon & am less than satisfied with their performance in some off road conditions. At Moab on the approaches to some of the ledges I had some difficulty in getting traction, where as a number of vehicle including VXs with ATs had little or no difficulty.I have BFG AT KOs on my 89 Trooper & like them very much. Just that they cost more than they should & I will research the Nittos & other brands before finalizing my new tire choice.

Just an opinion, please no flames.

Bob ;Db;

Triathlete
06/05/2004, 05:46 PM
No flaming from me. I appriciate all opinions. Most of my wheeling is rocks, loose dirt and loose dirt on rocks! I haven't been disapointed with the AT's but they just don't get the traction. They also chunk a lot. I have a lot of missing lugs.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????