PDA

View Full Version : OT copy a dvd

zadam123
06/04/2004, 05:50 PM
Help please. I just bought the pioneer avic n1 radio and it has a navigation cd that it uses, I want to copy this dvd before i ruin mine. The dvd has 6.81 gig of information on it and i can only find 4.7 gig dvds. I called a few places and nobody carries anything more than the 4.7

The dvd dont look like it is double sided (there is color and writing on one side so i guess that means its only one sided), How can I copy this DVD?

thanks

adam

WyrreJ
06/04/2004, 06:13 PM
It is a dual layer (two "sides" on top of each other, the laser changes focus to read one layer or another) disc - probably looks kind of gold in tint. Until very recently (just in the last month) all DVD burners were single layer only. If you shop around you can find a dual-layer burner in the $100+ price range. I don't know what dual layer media costs, but it is sure to be expensive compared to single layer since it is absolutely brand new.

MZ-N10
06/04/2004, 07:54 PM
order another one from pioneer...probably be cheaper then getting tat one burnt
________
HotBenise cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/HotBenise)

Hotsauce
06/04/2004, 08:04 PM
can you burn it as 2 cd's? split the info up? the avicn1 buffers the info anyway.

Besides, you usually don't need entire us loaded.

John C

Andrey
06/04/2004, 08:52 PM
Make an image of this DVD on your harddrive and then you can decide what to do next. As far as I know dual layered DVDs (called DVD-9 format) are NOT available for public distribution.. DVD-RAM is available in 9 Gig capacity dual sided (4.7 Gig per side) not sure if this will help you out.

zadam123
06/05/2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Hotsauce
can you burn it as 2 cd's? split the info up? the avicn1 buffers the info anyway.

Besides, you usually don't need entire us loaded.

John C

There are 2 cds one for the west coast and one for the east coast. I think if i make 2 cds it wont work, I was on pioneers website and it looks like they want 250 for the cd:eek:
Im gonna call them just to make sure cause that seems like a lot.

adam

nater
06/07/2004, 12:54 PM
Adam, dual layer burners are now available. Verbatim should have dual layer blanks available by the end of June.

Until then, you'll have to split the data. However, you can make an image of the disc to your hard drive right now using nero and then burn it once the media becomes available. This assumes your pioneer drive will read DVD+R DL...

Nate

Dallas4u
06/07/2004, 01:23 PM
Go to NewEgg.com and get the NEC ND-2510 8x dual layer DVD burner (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-023&depa=1) for $89, then buy some dual layer media... can't find any right now by just messing around, but it should be around $5-$7 each.

zadam123
06/07/2004, 06:37 PM
Just went to a computer show and saw a sony 8x duel layer for $175 but nobody has the dvds.

Guess i have to wait for them

Yes it does play dvd+r

adam