PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple upgrade

Andrey
06/04/2004, 04:01 PM
I've got today Royal Purple for tranny and front and rear diff. Can anybody tell me what transfer case is taking. I've looked in the manual and it does not show what transfer case is taking. I assume ATF.

Andrey
06/05/2004, 12:34 PM
So far replaced rear diff, fuel filter and exchanged antifreeze. on monday exchange transmission ATF and transfer case ATF.

visconte
06/05/2004, 03:41 PM
...and if your car is like mine you will see a stamp on the transfer case saying "ATF only". It holds just over four quarts, about four liters. The tranny also takes just over four quarts so you will need about 8 liters plus to do the job. Tone has an online manual telling you how to do the change.

Heraclid
06/06/2004, 05:54 PM
I replaced my old fluid in the diffs with Royal Purple (once I found someone who actually stocks it and has all the different fluids they make on their shelves) and am very happy with it. I have the Royal Purple ATF for the TOD but haven't changed it yet. Probably next weekend when I do the motor oil change. I'm debating whether or not to go with Royal Purple or Mobil 1 on that too. Time to read some old posts and make up my mind...

visconte
06/06/2004, 09:43 PM
Note front diff uses a lighter gear oil than rear diff, but try using royal purple Synchromax in a 60/40 or 70/30 blend with Royal Purple Max Gear.

Andrey
06/07/2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by visconte
Note front diff uses a lighter gear oil than rear diff, but try using royal purple Synchromax in a 60/40 or 70/30 blend with Royal Purple Max Gear.

uuupssiiii dasy...... I bought all the same.......for front and for rear..... if I would use it what whould be the damage ? (gas milage ?)

visconte
06/07/2004, 07:56 AM
...and I misstated, you can use the same or 85-140 in the rear but I would not run 85-140 in front. Synchomax is just super-cool for any sort of gearing and will run cooler and extend life of components. Sounds like BS but try it.

Andrey
06/07/2004, 08:51 AM
I think I bought 75W-90 for both. I've already replaced rear with incorrect 75W-90 and so far very quite... no noise or something...

Andrey
06/07/2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Andrey
I think I bought 75W-90 for both. I've already replaced rear with incorrect 75W-90 and so far very quite... no noise or something... so I hope both rear and front can take same oil... one way or another it exceeds manufacturers spec

Andrey
06/08/2004, 08:07 PM
After changing the front diff went and installed two new rotors/pads in the back and turened front rotors and new pads. Still trying to figure out if I shouldve bought two new rotors for the front. I am suspicious that I had faulty rotors from day one. They were very groovy and rusty. The pads still had about 50% life left on them ... my assumption that stock pad can last to 60K miles (if rotor is not eating it). To replace tranny filter is a whole different story.... I think there is a need to remove pillar support from tranny in order to replace the filter.

UtahVXer
06/08/2004, 09:33 PM
...and I misstated, you can use the same or 85-140 in the rear but I would not run 85-140 in front. Synchomax is just super-cool for any sort of gearing and will run cooler and extend life of components. Sounds like BS but try it. Why not run it in the front? I run 75-140 in both front and rear diffs.

AlaskaVX
06/09/2004, 10:45 AM
Make sure you add the LSD additive in the rear

Andrey
06/09/2004, 03:22 PM
Alaska, it seems that Royal Purple already has some in it. I do not experience any rattle or noise ?

Andrey
06/10/2004, 03:43 PM
Exchanged Poyal Purple ATF. The difference is noticeable - very smooth gear shifting, quiter ride. Can anybody tell me if transfer case is interconnected with tranny. The shop hooked up the exchange machine to the tubes going to the radiator and flushed tranny. So I am not sure if transfer case got fresh ATF ??? :confused:

visconte
06/10/2004, 06:28 PM
If you see 8 or more quarts on the bill then they did both, but the transfer case and tranny are separate. In a real pinch, if Royal Purple ATF is purple color like all of their other products you could drain a little from the transfer case and check the color.

With regard to an earlier question from someone about 85/140 in the front diff I tried it but did not like the front end response however was in a cold climate at the time. I believe for warm climates 85/140 is okay.

For any gearing app [like a diff] Royal Purple SynchroMax is highly recommended and you do not need to use LSD additive with it. In fact with synthetic gear oil correct me if I am wrong but you don't need LSD.

Vis

Andrey
06/10/2004, 08:15 PM
thats the whole thing. I've bought 12 quarts and they used all of them for tranny ??? I looked at the tubes at the exchange machine and they were showing that incoming flow is the same color as outgoing. So, they should've drain the transfer case seperately ???

t2p
06/11/2004, 05:57 AM
Andrey:
Yes - have the trans case fluid replaced. The BW trans case is a sophisticated .. complicated .... whatever .... piece of equip that should receive proper (frequent if possible) fluid changes .....

Andrey
06/11/2004, 06:20 AM
thanks t2p,

I'll go back and tell them to drain transfer case separately. Then I need to buy more RP ATF for transfer case

visconte
06/11/2004, 11:43 AM
! If they put 8 quarts of ATF in the tranny alone then you have got BIG problems! It is best to do these things yourself if at all possible. The tranny level plug is inverted and in a recess higher up in the pan. With the tranny at full operating temperature [drive the car for a while] stop the car, leave the engine in park and RUNNING, get under the car and remove the big level plug [big bolt in the upper pan recess] and you should have a light spray or drip - if fluid gushes out then they overfilled it. BTW all of this is documented in the Tone manual online.

visconte
06/11/2004, 11:44 AM
Why buy 12 quarts of ATF? The tranny holds just over four and the transfer just over four.

Dallas4u
06/11/2004, 11:55 AM
I believe the tranny actually holds 9 qts of fluid. You only get 4 or so out when you drain it yourself. To get all (most) of it out you have to have it flushed.

Navigator
06/11/2004, 12:15 PM
... Rent or find a shop with a T-Tech transmission fluid recycling machine and "Power Purge" the grime out of your tranny in about 20 minutes. I basically attaches to your transmision lines draws out the old fluid while leaving behind the new. Flushed 18 quarts through my tranny today, understand that is not the total left behind, but what was used to power off the grime and leave behind only fresh fluid.

Dallas4u
06/11/2004, 12:36 PM
Heck, you could just buy one yourself!

HERE (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=4006970&storeId=6970&langId=-1&productId=196876&cm_ven=TL&cm_pla=DF&cm_ite=auto)

visconte
06/11/2004, 01:02 PM
Look in the specs page in the manual it says the tranny holds 4 liters and the transfer case holds 4. The atf change procedure is also documented on this site, try searching under atf

visconte
06/11/2004, 01:03 PM
Unless you have a high mileage/never changed fluid or suspect tranny it's a waste of money

Andrey
06/11/2004, 10:28 PM
Unless you have a high mileage/never changed fluid or suspect tranny it's a waste of money

Not true ! This is my second change. I can not believe the difference ! First time I exchanged (flushed) with regular ATF. The ride was quiter. Now it became not only quiter but also softer shifting. It seems that quality of fluid also has something to do with shifting points. I've noticed gears are changing differently at different speeds and different loads. If this stuff would be a bit cheaper I will also go with Royal Purple engine oil.

visconte
06/15/2004, 11:25 AM
and transfer case 1.9 liters

in capacity, not quarts it takes to flush.

Dallas4u
06/15/2004, 12:10 PM
and transfer case 1.9 liters

in capacity, not quarts it takes to flush.

I thought I stated this above? 9 qts (or 9.1 if you wanna get technical). Sure, you can just drain the 4 qts and replace as I did, or you can flush it and get ALL of the old stuff out and replace.

It's up to you.