PDA

View Full Version : New VX!

01 Dragon
01/19/2003, 07:15 PM
;pg; Hello everyone, I just got my 2001 Dragon Green on Friday, we flew up to Baltimore/
Washington, and drove it home to Pensacola, FL. I found it on Auto Trader. We have been
looking at them for over 2 years and finally found the one. Its alittle diffrnt from my Mustang
but im adapting quite well!;Db;
I want to say thank you to Scott for the board and Moncha.com I have drooled & dreamed so
much from both!
I have some questions if anyone wants to answer...
What about Synthetic oil, is it good or bad?
Im not really up to speed on 4X4's and what the diffrnt gear selections are for on the shift
column, and when to shift into low instead of high.
Also when to use the power setting.
Ive seen some wild pictures from you guys and wonder if a stock VX can do that stuff? Some of
those pictures belong on Petersons 4 Wheel & Off road!;eekg;
Oh and is there any sort of Bed liner for the cargo area, I have a Neapolitan Mastiff that I plan
to transport in the cargo area, he out grew the Stang. I'd like to protect that area as much as
possible, any tips would be appreciated.

Well this is all for now....I just wanted to introduce myself, Im Tom from Pensacola FL, and
I GOT MINE!!!
I love my Dragon!
Thanks for reading ...
Tom

Moncha
01/19/2003, 07:53 PM
Welcome to the family!! Thanks for the kind words. :mbrasd:

I'm not up on the synth oils but, the rest I have a little input.

The transmission is a 4 speed auto. The 4th gear being an overdrive. I depends on what kind of driving you do to what position you'll want to keep it in. I run in 3 most of the time and put it into 4 for hiway use. I don't like the low overdrive it has in the city. The power button changes the points at where the tranny shifts. you can find more info here (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/misc.php?action=faq&page=6#54).
For the most part you won't use the 4x4 hi/low lever unless you are in some deep doo doo! It only locks in the front and rear splitting the power 50/50. The TOD works just great! Tonka can attest to that. He was going up some tough snow stuff and only used TOD.

The stock VX is very capable and most of us run pretty much stock save for tire/wheel changes.

There are very few items made for the VX outside of the custom things that you will find on the board. So.. there are lots of options out there you'll just have to experiment a little. You can try MacNeil Automotive (http://www.weathertech.com/) and see what you can adapt.. I'm sure that with all of the creative folk around here, there will be some more input.

Congrats again and welcome!

AnalogVX
01/19/2003, 09:16 PM
Welcome! You will absolutely love your VX. I can attest to the stock VX doing all that stuff. It's still blowing my mind what it can do. The only change I made so far is tires. Sorry, I can't answer your synthetic oil question and Moncha answered the others well.

nocturnalVX
01/20/2003, 05:13 AM
Welcome to the VX family! Yes, proven time & time again, the stock ones can do some AWESOME stuff. Dosen't everyone love the reactions and comments it gets? Have fun with your VehiCROSS... it will amaze.

Triathlete
01/20/2003, 08:38 AM
Here are a few posts that may help with your :confused: on oil...

post1 (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&threadid=423)

post2 (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001068.html)
Hope this helps and welcome to our world!:nuke:

TimG
01/20/2003, 09:03 AM
That has to be the best first post I've ever seen. Welcome aboard.

01 Dragon
01/20/2003, 08:43 PM
:coolg: Thank you everyone for the replies, and links.
Thanks TimG for the compliment, Ive been here quite a bit before I was actually a member, but like
the old saying goes.....Membership has its priviledges!

Nocturnal ......I'm just blown away by all the looks and you never know who your gonna "catch"
eye balling your VX....some are just blatant fly catchers, while others try to be incognito, either way
its awesome! ;Db; I want a sign I can show them once i catch em, something simple like CAUGHT YA
LOOKING! Thing is you know most are like "what is it"?

Rich D Its so hard to believe the pics I see, and trying to tell people about those pics is even harder!
A lot of people in my office know I got it, and I've given up trying to tell them what it'll do, so Ive just
resorted to giving Moncha's address to them and telling them to check out the pic section-nuff said.

Scott once again thank you, I will start driving in 3rd, and use D for the highway. Is it ok to shift on
the fly to D? Have you ever used power while in 3rd? Also thank you for the links.

There is a shift module available how does this help? :confused:
Ok this is all for now have a great evening
Tom

Moncha
01/20/2003, 09:19 PM
Yep, it's ok to shift into D while on the fly and back again. Nothing different than normal shifting, only you are telling if where to stay rather than the tranny.
I run with the power button on all the time, save for being on the hiway. It seems to shift a lot more than I like while the cruise is on. Everyone has his/hers on preferences though and so, play around and see what you like.

Tone offers the Interceptor Transmission module. I use it and like the way it firms up the shifts and delays the torque converter to my preferences. There is a lot of talk about this subject so probably the best for you is to research it. Try searching the VMag (http://club.vmag.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Isuzu+Vehicross+2&number=39&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=) for more info if you don't find enough here.

BumbleV-X
01/20/2003, 09:34 PM
It's great to have another VX family member. I see you live in Florida, well, you're not alone. There are groups that get together all over the nation at VX meets, and I have to say.... these people rock!!!!!! It's not just the car, but the people that drive them. Welcome to the family.
We have ours set up for offroad, but you'll find your favorites.
Hope you're planning for the once a year event at Moab.... it's awesome!

Deby

Baxman
01/21/2003, 08:21 PM
You can shift the auto trans like a manual if you'd like. As Scott posted, the "power" button just delays upshifts and promps earlier downshifts. In a perfect world, the up/down shift delay/prompt would be programmable, but we just have to put up with seemingly premature downshifting with "power" engaged.

4-low splits the power 50/50 and should NOT be used on pavement (unless snow/ice). Gear reduction is 2.48:1. When shifting into and out of 4-low you must be at complete stop and in neutral.

Many of us use synthetics, I use Mobil 1 5W-30.

No cargo liner is commercially available, but like you I have a big dog. My wife made a cool tailored liner out of red denim, then I installed snaps. It looks sharp, and protects the carpet from whatever my 100lb lab drags in, which is usually mud, water and stink!

If you get the supercharger, it will feel a whole lot more like your Mustang.

Welcome aboard, Tom!

Navigator
01/22/2003, 05:53 AM
Welcome aboard, I am sure you will love your new VX as much as we do.

edyavno
01/26/2003, 08:48 PM
Hmm.... I didn't know the 4th gear is an overdrive.
Scott, how is it different from a would be regualar 4th gear?

Originally posted by MonchaVX

The transmission is a 4 speed auto. The 4th gear being an overdrive. I depends on what kind of driving you do to what position you'll want to keep it in. I run in 3 most of the time and put it into 4 for hiway use. I don't like the low overdrive it has in the city. ...

Baxman
01/27/2003, 08:43 PM
High gear is overdrive in all cars since the 70s. The 1:1 gear is typically 3rd (or 4th in 5-speeds) with high gear being ~1:.65-.84, 1:.71 in the VX.

Moncha
01/28/2003, 07:24 AM
thanks Rick, couldn't have said it better...

Arachnid J
01/28/2003, 03:58 PM
Congratulations on your new VX. I hope that you enjoy yours as much as we all do. It is nice to see another one added to Florida. I live in Titusville and I am planning on going to the Orlando meet, so maybe I'll see you there if you are going.