PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Mod

JAFO
01/19/2003, 12:41 AM
Does anybody have thoughts on adding sunroofs?

JAFO
01/19/2003, 12:43 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/319vx-sunroof.jpg
I have never added an aftermarket sunroof to a vehicle and being that I am currently living in Oregon I am concerned with leakage. Can anybody give me advice on weather or not to add one, and if so what brand to go with?

dyanni
01/19/2003, 05:49 AM
The area where I live averages 70 inches of rainfall and lots of fun snow annually. So I know wet! - Yes Sunroofs leak. They are built that way - there is a drainage system that runs from the soft lining around the sunroof opening, through tubes down the side of the VX and out the bottom somewhere. That system has not failed for me since my install about 6 months ago. Some others have reported the drainage tubes can become plugged with debris and then you get a face full of water next time you open it up. I have had no problems. I have the Hollandia 743 electric interior sliding sunroof - the picture you posted is of my VX, taken in Dallas TX a week after I had it put in. I replaced the headliner as well with a black one.

http://www.myvx.com/images/mysun.jpg

JohnnyApollo started a great thread on this at Club VMAG VX (http://club.vmag.com/ubb/Forum39/HTML/001991.html)

Dallas4u
01/20/2003, 12:29 AM
I have a sunroof and live in Oregon as well... no leakage in to the cabin what so ever. She has been sitting outside since I got here (about two months ago) through all the weeks of rain. She has also been through some pretty horrendous thunderstorms in Dallas and has held up like a champ!

I would go with a Hollandia as that is possibly the best made!!! I know many of us that have sunroof's have Hollandias and we love them.

Tone
01/20/2003, 05:25 PM
Only the sunroofs that go INSIDE the vehicle require/use the drain tubes. The spoiler types that are wider and open on top of the vehicle (yes, you can use them with the stock racks) are cheaper (~$900) and do not require the tubes.

Most all reputable install places offer lifetime warranties and Hollandia/Webasto is about the best supplier and actually builds OEM units for the major vehicle manufacturers.

johnnyapollo
01/20/2003, 06:12 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=291&papass=&sort=4

I paid $940 for my Sunroof (Hollandia-Webasto like dyanni's above), and it's an inside installation. Looks just like factory. I think if you shop around you'll find one for a reasonable price... it's well worth it and perhaps my favorite mod.

No problems with leaks whatsoever. If you have the exterior wind-visor (it cuts down on the noise), you do need to be careful parking on a hill nose down...it'll fill with water. Not a nice thing to find out opening the thing when it's full of water!

-- John

Tonka
01/21/2003, 01:14 PM
My biggest worry was leakage but i took the plunge and have no problems what so ever! The best advise on this mod is go big (to the railing) nothing smaller! (I got gipped in this department.) Also try to hassle with price. These shops are flexable. Some get inside roofs for about $900! (I am jealous!) You will love it! you do loose some head room though, but not a lot.

Panther_Black_VX
01/23/2003, 07:18 AM
Omigosh that sunroof is a must! Got mine for $860 in GA. No problems at all with leakage. I was worried about putting my baby under the knife, but I am so glad I did!

Don't walk, RUN and get yourself a sunroof. :cool!:

Baxman
01/23/2003, 07:36 AM
Around here, installation of the model 743 is $1300 so I went to the dealer and asked them to call for a price. Dealer price $890! They did it for me for $990, making $100 for making the call and sending my VX 1/2 mile down the road to the installer.

Very slick operation, garanteed not to leak. A must-have for the VX.

Dallas4u
01/23/2003, 02:03 PM
Definitely a must have!!!!

VX crazy
01/23/2003, 02:20 PM
Yes, best mod!! Get in now....

JAFO
01/23/2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks For all of the responses. I have found a sunroof installer in the Portland area who sells/installs Webasto sun roofs. I have seen their leather interior work on a '02 Axium at a local dealer and their work looked fabulous.

Currently I own a 4cyl '97 Jeep Wrangler soft top. I really like it in the summer but I want more power, and I don't think that I'd buy another Jeep product.

I have found three VXs in my area and by week's end one will be in my parking space at my apartment.

JAFO

JAFO
01/24/2003, 01:04 AM
BTW I guess ISUZU is never going to release the VX-02? They had a webpage back a few years ago and it was in Mission to Mars but I guess it was grounded eh?

I did see that some of you had photos of concept cars. Does ISUZU ever sell them after they finish touring the auto show circuits?