PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-Portable Notebook

MZ-N10
06/01/2004, 12:47 AM
well...ive been luggin around a 9lbs desktop replacement laptop to school for about 6 months. and ive had enough with carrying a laptop bag tat is heavier then my book bag...so im lookin at ultra portables...mainly the sharp mm20..

Company:
Sharp Electronics Corp., www.sharpsystems.com
Price:
$1,499 direct
Spec data:
1-GHz Transmeta Efficeon 8600, 256MB SDRAM, 20GB hard drive, 16MB ATI Mobility Radeon graphics card, LAN Express 802.11g, external DVD/CD-RW combo drive ($99), two USB 2.0 ports, 10.4-inch LCD, 1.99-pound system weight (2.49-pound travel weight), Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, cradle docking station

Pros:
2-pound notebook, unique docking cradle for charging and synching
Cons:
Small keyboard, low performance
Bottom line:
The Sharp MM20 is no powerhouse, but its portability and unique cradle sync feature make this a cool and innovative portable, as well as a great complement to your desktop.

-PCMAG

so wat do u computer gurus think?
________
Kids Zoloft (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

tomcat837
06/01/2004, 04:33 AM
It sounds good but the main question is, what is the main purpose of that computer?

That alone would be the determining factor in deciding if you need a powerhose or a trully portable machine...

Let me know!

Andrey
06/01/2004, 05:39 AM
I've been using Sony PCG-R505GL as portable/GPS navigation Co-Pilot system. VERY happy with it. New model has DVD drive build into the chassis.. mine has a docking station with DVD/CD-RW. Look into Sonys TR series.. they are ULTRA portables with 10 inch screen - very cool and better for GPS in my book. CON -VERY expencive top of the line model (can burn DVDs) is 3K :freek:

doubleadesign
06/01/2004, 07:01 AM
I think you should switch to a MAC.javascript:smilie(';)')

xdfarrx
06/01/2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by doubleadesign
I think you should switch to a MAC.javascript:smilie(';)')

I'm with double.... go Mac. I have a G3 Pismo for travel, and a 17" Power Book for less travel. PC's are cool, but if I am going to sit behind a computer for as long as I do, I need to feel good about what I am working on...

ScottinMA
06/01/2004, 08:51 AM
Think different!

Newsman
06/01/2004, 09:23 AM
I have to agree with what one of the previous posts says -- it really depends on what you're going to do with it.

I've found that more and more, and can get by without a laptop at all with my iPaq 5555 and its keyboard.

I can do email, write papers in Word, surf the net (albeit on quite a small screen) and the two of them fit in a pocket.

Daver
06/01/2004, 10:44 AM
Here's where you get the really portable ones.

http://www.dynamism.com/index.shtml

-Daver

MZ-N10
06/01/2004, 12:21 PM
i was just plannin to use it for word, power point...nothing really demanding. i just need it to be small and light.

i would go mac but theres too many limitations on compatiblity plus i have no idea how to use a mac.

i really like the sony x505....but theres 1 problem to it...it cost ~3k which is kind of out of my budget.....
________
Avandia class action settlement (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

Dallas4u
06/01/2004, 01:18 PM
The Toshiba Tecra line is pretty nice and are usually priced nice. You can also find some good deals on Dells (with online 15% off or 20% off coupons) as well.

tomcat837
06/01/2004, 01:27 PM
There you go, Toshiba would be my first choice...