PDA

View Full Version : Need Tire Suggestions, Please

transio
05/28/2004, 07:07 AM
My current tires are pretty worn, though they've got a few thousand miles left in them. Anyhow, I've been researching options, and I've come up with two tempting ideas:

Stock Wheels w/ Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/65/r18) - I can get them mounted and balanced for $908. Not sure if that's a good price, but I figured you guys could help me with that.

20 x 10" Velocite Wheels w/ Goodyear Eagle F1's - My cousin bought this set of cheapo chrome wheels w/ Z-rated rubber for his pickup that he doesn't want now. He decided to get a 35" Mickey Thompson setup instead. Not sure of the fitment or offset, but I can try them out and see how they fit. He's willing to sell me the lot for about $1000, which is the price he paid for the tires alone. And they're unmounted, too, which is nice. I'm not crazy about the design of the rims, and they look kind of cheap - certainly made of cast aluminum, but they're nicer than stock.

PS - the rims have an 11-hole bolt pattern, for fitting both 5-bolt and 6-bolt setups. Never seen this before. Is this a sign of crap wheels?

So there's my dilemma. What would you guys do? I've been considering maybe getting both... one for daily street driving, and one for off-roading (which will be rare).

Comments / suggestions, please? Thx.

UtahVXer
05/28/2004, 09:15 AM
If you will be rarely off-road, why are you considering such oversized tires? In my opinion, for overall performance Michelin's are the best. I have the CrossTerrain SUV (http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinCrossTerrainSUV.html?tiretype=5&tire=1) The ride and handling are superb with excellent traction in everything. Although not the most aggressive, they are suitable for occasional off-road use. Mine did just fine in Moab. I have enjoyed the LTX AT's (http://www.michelinman.com/catalog/tires/MichelinLTXAT.html?tiretype=5&tire=3) for years on my Cherokee but these don't come for 18" wheels. Anyway, just one opinion.

transio
05/28/2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by UtahVXer
If you will be rarely off-road, why are you considering such oversized tires? For the look, of course! Skimpy tires just look awkward on a 4WD. You need something to fill up those wheel wells. Either that, or you get shorter springs and go with the street look. I'd prefer to keep the off-road look, because I think it suits this vehicle better, although the performance wheels / tires would probably better suit my driving style. I guess that's why I'm considering both :confused:

Ron Pfeiffer
05/28/2004, 09:37 AM
I've got the Nittos, and love 'em! They didn't negatively affect my gas mileage at all - actually, since I do a lot of highway miles, I think they helped. Had to trim just the barest sliver from my cladding (see my gallery for pics). They ride well (at 38 cold psi), and look mean as hell. I couldn't be happier.

However, I gotta say that $908 is NOT a good price at all. You can get the tires themselves online for $174 a piece. My local guy got them for me for a mounted-and-balanced price of $178 each.

Good luck!

Ron