PDA

View Full Version : A real hero

Mr. I-MAN
05/27/2004, 02:08 PM
Maybe you'd like to hear about something other than idiot Reservists and naked Iraqis.

Maybe you'd like to hear about a real American, somebody who honored the uniform he wears.

Meet Brian Chontosh.

Churchville-Chili Central School class of 1991. Proud graduate of the Rochester Institute of Technology. Husband and about-to-be father. First lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps.

And a genuine hero.

The secretary of the Navy said so yesterday.

At 29 Palms in California Brian Chontosh was presented with the Navy Cross, the second highest award for combat bravery the United States can bestow.

That's a big deal.

But you won't see it on the network news tonight, and all you read in Brian's hometown newspaper was two paragraphs of nothing. Instead, it was more blather about some mental defective MPs who acted like animals.

The odd fact about the American media in this war is that it's not covering the American military. The most plugged-in nation in the world is receiving virtually no true information about what its warriors are doing.

Oh, sure, there's a body count. We know how many Americans have fallen. And we see those same casket pictures day in and day out. And we're almost on a first-name basis with the pukes who abused the Iraqi prisoners. And we know all about improvised explosive devices and how we lost Fallujah and what Arab public-opinion polls say about us and how the world hates us.

We get a non-stop feed of gloom and doom.

But we don't hear about the heroes.

The incredibly brave GIs who honorably do their duty. The ones our grandparents would have carried on their shoulders down Fifth Avenue.

The ones we completely ignore.

Like Brian Chontosh.

It was a year ago on the march into Baghdad. Brian Chontosh was a platoon leader rolling up Highway 1 in a humvee.

When all hell broke loose.

Ambush city.

The young Marines were being cut to ribbons. Mortars, machine guns, rocket propelled grenades. And the kid out of Churchville was in charge. It was do or die and it was up to him.

So he moved to the side of his column, looking for a way to lead his men to safety. As he tried to poke a hole through the Iraqi line his humvee came under direct enemy machine gun fire.

It was fish in a barrel and the Marines were the fish.

And Brian Chontosh gave the order to attack. He told his driver to floor the humvee directly at the machine gun emplacement that was firing at them. And he had the guy on top with the .50 cal unload on them.

Within moments there were Iraqis slumped across the machine gun and Chontosh was still advancing, ordering his driver now to take the humvee directly into the Iraqi trench that was attacking his Marines. Over into the battlement the humvee went and out the door Brian Chontosh bailed, carrying an M16 and a Beretta and 228 years of Marine Corps pride.

And he ran down the trench.

With its mortars and riflemen, machineguns and grenadiers.

And he killed them all.

He fought with the M16 until it was out of ammo. Then he fought with the Beretta until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up a dead man's AK47 and fought with that until it was out of ammo. Then he picked up another dead man's AK47 and fought with that until it was out of ammo.

At one point he even fired a discarded Iraqi RPG into an enemy cluster, sending attackers flying with its grenade explosion.

When he was done Brian Chontosh had cleared 200 yards of entrenched Iraqis from his platoon's flank. He had killed more than 20 and wounded at least as many more.

But that's probably not how he would tell it.

He would probably merely say that his Marines were in trouble, and he got them out of trouble. Hoo-ah, and drive on.

"By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, 1st Lt. Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service."

That's what the citation says.

And that's what nobody will hear.

That's what doesn't seem to be making the evening news. Accounts of American valor are dismissed by the press as propaganda, yet accounts of American difficulties are heralded as objectivity. It makes you wonder if the role of the media is to inform, or to depress - to report or to deride. To tell the truth, or to feed us lies.

But I guess it doesn't matter.

We're going to turn out all right.

As long as men like Brian Chontosh wear our uniform.

technocoy
05/27/2004, 02:37 PM
i don't agree with this war. I bet brian doesn't either. but i actually agree with you one hundred percent that there is not enough positive news about how these (majority) of brave men and women go about their duties and risk their lives for this country, whether they agree with it or not.

here here!

i salute you brian chontosh. thank you for serving in a military for a country that gives me the right to disagree with it's policies.

and thank you Mr. I-man for an inspiring piece of news.

david

P.S. all the countries that talk trash are the first ones to wimper out to the US of A when they need help. it's a catch 22 to be the USA.

Heraclid
05/27/2004, 02:54 PM
I must disagree because I bet Brian does agree with this war. Other than that, I would certainly like to join in saluting our brave men and women in uniform. They are the best among us. Thanks for posting the story.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/463dsc00238c.jpg

t2p
05/27/2004, 02:58 PM
I don't agree with the war either .... or any war for that matter.
But the days are over when we can sit back and 'wait' for something bad to happen.
Recent history (past 20 years) has shown that diplomacy has not been effective. The UN - (also) ineffective.
S. Hussein put a hit out on George Bush (#1) ...... did we really need any other reason to topple his regime ?
And I also salute Brian Chontosh - and all the allied forces.

technocoy
05/27/2004, 03:35 PM
but there are alot more countries that have a better economy, health system and overall benefitial environment because of the UN. and all that was done in the past twenty years.

I have a brother in the marines, a best friend in the army, and a friend in the air force. the first two have been to iraq twice, and tell me that while they feel they must perform their duty that most men and women in the service feel as though they would be better serving their country by fighting the war on terror, not going overkill on a war that is now being proven to have been justified with false information and emotional reactions.

yes, saddam hussien was evil, yes, he should have been taken out for his crimes against humanity. thousands upon thousands of completely peaceful (buddhist even) tibetans have been oppressed, beaten, tortured, and killed for nothing by the chinese gov't. the chinese gov't has weapons of mass destruction, and they are a regime.

sounds familiar, but how did we justify our war with them? we didn't because they are bigger and make everything we buy. so there was no war. it's economy. plain and simple. it's evil and it sucks, but it's fact of life.

i believe in diplomacy, as well as justified pre-emptive strikes. but all in their place. and this is not the place and time for iraq. this is the place and time for the war on terror, and to be making friends, not enemies.

just my two cents.

Joe_Black
05/27/2004, 03:47 PM
Peace is a process brought on by war, and not often revisited until the horrors of its forebear forgotten.

Heraclid
05/27/2004, 05:40 PM
Joe is absolutely right. Force begets peace. There's nothing like some nuclear weapons to make people play nice.

would be better serving their country by fighting the war on terror, not going overkill on a war that is now being proven to have been justified with false information

That just struck me as pretty odd. What in the world are they doing over there then? Knitting? And "overkill"? If you think we're beating a dead horse here, that dead horse is still out cutting off the heads of American civilians, and I hope and pray they do not kill any of your family and friends, military or otherwise. They'd love to, you know. Sure, war royally sucks. I'd rather there were no wars too. Anyone in their right mind does. But that is a pipe dream. They brought the fight to us. They've been killing us for a long time. They'll keep doing it until they're stopped, and if we lay down and take it they'll just kill even more of us. It's time something was done and it needs to be seen through to completion, no matter how long it takes.

This is no time for half-measures. If you ever do run into some Al Qaeda goons, they aren't going to just half kill you. And if you had a knife and one of them had a knife and the terrorist was going to kill you, I don't think you'd drop your knife and say you just wanted to be friends and let him slit your throat. That is what you are asking us to do.

Would you be happier if we did go to war with China? You'd probably be very tempted to overlook the deaths of thousands of Tibetans when millions of Americans and Chinese started dying. And that is what war with China would mean. Would that war be justified in your eyes? Neither sounds good, but when push comes to shove, far better to wage a war to save millions at the cost of thousands of lives than vice versa, if you ask me. And I believe China will change for the better from the inside out. Al Qaeda and others like them will require nothing short of extermination, on the other hand.

All that said, if you ever need any help with your VX, I'm there for ya buddy. :-)

Dallas4u
05/27/2004, 06:28 PM
Please take this to the 'Chit-Chat' forum. This thread shouldn't have been posted here in the first place.

technocoy
05/27/2004, 06:40 PM
heraclid? did you read my post? you basically just repeated everything i was saying. the only difference is that the iraq war is NOT the war on terrorism. and iraq had done not one thing to us. of course they did attack our ally kuwait, but why are we allies with kuwait? not for their humanity and foreign relations i can tell you that. everything else was in agreement. i do think we should be fighting the war on terrorism, the problem is that it isn't in iraq, or at least it wasn't until we rolled in there again and pissed of every muslim there to the point that NOW they are joining terrorist organizations. so now all our friggin troops are over there, getting killed in a farce of a war, when in fact if our men are going to be dying it should be for a more terrorism oriented cause, such as combing the hills between pakistan and afghanistan, etc. and i'm saying that the ousting of saddam hussien did need to be done, but that now (when we should be more concerned with al Qaeda) is not the time. and no i don't want to go to war with china, which is exactly what i was saying. as well as saying that the iraq war is about as justifiable as a war with china.

and as for the slaying of innocent americans in iraq, there were virtually no american casualties in iraq before we invaded their country and beat, raped and killed their civilians. as a matter of fact thousands of americans lived and worked in iraq peacefully before we went to war there. i guess it's ok that we killed their civilians with napalm and misguided missiles, because that's what happens in war, innocent people sometimes die, right? well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I appreciate the conversation here, it's good to hear from different people about this, as i think about it alot. and heraclid, don't worry, no hard feelings, we're all friends here, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just thought that you should know that mine isn't much different than your own.

sorry that i seem to have opened a can of worms, i just wanted to show support for I-mans point of view and our soldiers all around the globe. no controversy intended.

david

SGT.BATGUANO
05/27/2004, 10:09 PM
And who put Saddam in power? Remember the Shah of Iran?

And who trained Afghanis and likely Al-Quieda durring the Soviet invasion into Afghanistan?

And who provided Saddam with Anthrax and other biological samples?

Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy when it comes to politically-motivated meddling in foreign affairs.

Oil is the only reason we are there. It is a 100 year old technology that's had little change or improvement. Screw the oil giants. We should've had alternative power 30 years ago, after the first oil embargo.

Then those pricks, both here and abroad, would be cutting eachothers throat's (literally) to sell their swill.

Wealthy businessmen and politicians make the wars and young middle-class men die fighting them.

I still favor the idea of placing the conflicting leaders on a remote island and let them settle their petty inadequacies between themselves.

Let's see how much courage they have in their convictions, when their own butt is on the line.:) Have a nice day!

Mr. I-MAN
05/28/2004, 08:45 AM
Looks like somebody got a conspiracy phobia. They got pills for that. My wife is a shrink Sgt. do ya need some couch time or are you going keep babbling about your fantasy world where you are being oppressed by the " EVIL GOVERNMENT". Hey SGT. Love or Leave it. It seems clear you never put your time in to protect it.

Green Dragon
05/28/2004, 01:32 PM
"Better to live one more day as a Lion then a Thousand more Years as a Sheep"

This thread is somewhat anologous to the guy who searched all his life for the perfect woman & when he finally found her, much to his dismay discovered she was looking for the perfect man.

All kinds of second guessers in this world, providing after the fact solutions. Lest we forget, 2800 + people died on Sept 11 and more to come. The President of the US is responsible for the defence of the USA, if that means killing and I do mean killing those fanatics deemed responsible then kill them we must, kill them we will. Peace terms with religous Zealots are usually non negotiable, it is kill or be killed. That is the new face of war, that is reality.

As for other countries with Better economys & Health care. I for one have lived (lived, not just visited)in Europe & Asia & a lot of places in between & there is no better place than the USA

Bob F
Korea- Vietnam Vet.

Mr. I-MAN
05/28/2004, 02:47 PM
Rock on Bob!

Heraclid
05/28/2004, 03:00 PM
I typed a long post on all of this. But I know it probably won't do any good so to hell with it. Got it off my chest a bit at any rate. Some of you people couldn't have handled it any way. The best and most concise way to get my point across would have consisted of just a few words and would have really pissed some of you off. The plain truth tends to do that. But it is not my job to save you from yourselves. I will hope and pray you don't get your way, I will fight against your false notions until I breathe my last breath, and I will bite my tongue and call you friend all the way. But damn you make it hard sometimes. God bless you all.

<shakes head and walks away>

SPAZZ
05/28/2004, 04:44 PM
I didn't know Marines say "Hoo-ah":confused: :confused: :confused: I just served 8 years and Marines say "Hoo-Rah"...but not "Hoo-ah"!!!!

anyways..we should have killed em all long ago.....Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance...save us some grief later(like 911) by killing em all sooner...when we know they will be trouble.

Semper Fidelis

transio
05/28/2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Mr. I-MAN
Maybe you'd like to hear about a real American... a genuine hero... [who] killed more than 20 and wounded at least as many more.
Ah, yes, Charles Manson, wasn't it?

When will these fools realize that nationality is nothing more than a degree of separation between people. It's a line by which we can divide humanity and mold our ethics to make it "ok" to murder other people just because they're different. How pathetic.

Proud to be an American ???

HELL NO!!

I'm proud to be sympathetic enough not to separate myself from the rest of humanity.

THAT'S something to be proud of!

SGT.BATGUANO
05/28/2004, 05:10 PM
I don't have time to be lured into a tangled web of immature personal insults.

I will say this, serving your country honorably/ working for the government or blindly agreeing with everything it does are entirely different things. Ask John Kerry.

That's the thing here, that we can agree to disagree in this country, and frequently do.

You don't want a bunch of lemmings, do you?

Now I'm off to abuse my AR-15, Glock 45 and M1-A.

Have a nice Holiday and remember it's meaning.

Salute!

BaM*BaM
05/28/2004, 05:24 PM
We can all stand very tall and proud about our great servicemen and women of the US's armed forces. They have once again stood up to the challenge that our nation has called on them to perform.

It is not a question of these great men and women ever failing us.
The question is that in a democracy, it is the responsibility of every voter, to choose, and provide competent leadership for it's great service people.

In this endeavor, we, the American public, have FAILED COMPLETELY everyone of our own great and heroic men and women, who wear the USA uniform.

Within this Iraqi War, our leadership, has betrayed and stained everything that the USA has symbolized to the rest of the free world for many, many generations.

We have now become the most hated, and disrespected nation in that same 'free' world that we used to lead with dignity, compassion, and honesty. And we have added great strength and justification to the cause of our enemies

Such a result did not happen easily. It took an unprecedented level of immaturity of world views, a fool's righteous arrogance, and a complete inability to re evaluate their whole plan when it became so painfully obvious to everyone, that the fundamental assumptions they made for the Iraqi war , were completely wrong.

(Does anyone here think that in the new Iraq, their next generation of heroes is going to be the few people who helped the invading Americans, or the people who actively fought a war of resistance against their foreign invader? Look at France during it's occupation in W.W.II, if you need a clue. They weren't fighting about one type of government over another... They were fighting to rid themselves of a foreign invader! Just as you and I would do.)

azskyrider
05/29/2004, 08:33 AM
There is a documentary on video that I think most will find interesting. It is called the FOG of WAR. R. McNamara was the Secetary of Defense for JFK. It is interesting now that R MAC reviews those decisions today and makes you wonder who the decision makers are.

Now my view on Iraq and past WW1 and WWII are apples and oranges.

The new documentary Fahrenheit 911 and even now there is a lot of controversy. Albeit that the Moore is not a fan of the war nor the Bush administration.

Do I think the USA is the best country to live in? Yes, but like ROME we are all Romans who should learn from History.

Politics is the true destroyer of nations.

Fog of War trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony/thefogofwar.html)

Fog of War - web site (http://www.sonyclassics.com/fogofwar/indexFlash.html)

Some interesting quotes not from the movie but from both sides of war vs. peace. The last quote is what is happening today and in centuries before.

"Why of course the people don't want war. Why should some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece? Naturally, the common people don't want war: neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship . . . Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."
Nazi leader, Hermann Goering,
( before he was sentenced to death at the Nuremberg trials.)

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."
-GW Bush
( during a photo-op with Congressional leaders on 12/18/2000. )

"I am strongly in favor of using poisoned gas against uncivilized tribes. The moral effect should be good. . . and it would spread a lively terror."
Winston Churchill
Commenting on the British use of poison gas against the Iraqis after World War I

"No triumph of peace can equal the armed triumph of war. In strict confidence . . . I should welcome almost any war, for I think this country needs one."
Theodore Roosevelt

"The pioneers of a warless world are the young men (and women) who refuse military service."
Albert Einstein

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, as only one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidiy ." (and )
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, from those who are cold and are not clothed. The world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Military power wins battles, but spiritual power wins wars."
General George C. Marshall, ( 1880 - 1959 )

dutchie
05/29/2004, 09:15 AM
Do I think the USA is the best country to live in? Yes,

this is now the second time I read this, please explain this "euro trash" what this statement is based on? And who needs convincing?:rolleyes:

I went to the States, and had a great time, do I wanna live there? Well in the right neighbourhood, with the right job, with the right friends and a proper health insurance...yeah why not.

I went to Mexico, and had a great time, do I wanna live there? Well in the right neighbourhood, with the right job, with the right friends and a proper health insurance...yeah why not.

I went to the Czech republic, and had a great time, do I wanna live there? Well in the right neighbourhood, with the right job, with the right friends and a proper health insurance...yeah why not.

It's nice if you like the place where you live, it means you did well, you're not scraping at the bottom of the barrel, don't live from hand outs and can afford a computer to write this on...does this make your country "the best to live in", well if you think so..than you're just beyond help and you should help yourself to a big salad with one island dressing, topped with ignorance bits;)

azskyrider
05/29/2004, 10:14 AM
Dutchie,
I was not bashing Euro and I was not trying to display myself as "GO USA!"

I should have clarified my statement. I was referencing the opportunity to learn from other people. I for one am not from the USA as I am not a Native American. The USA like all nations have their politics and their faults. Here is what I meant.

I have had the honor to meet many common and political people from around the world. If one is open minded then that person can understand what makes them the way they are before they return. The more one learns from their friends or foes without bias then the more that person can better grow and apply what he has learn from them.

That opportunity I believe is greater in the USA than in any other country for the simple fact that there are more different races studying,living , and working here from other countries. That is why I said that I believe living in the USA is the best place to live.

Best way to think about it is to think about wanting to know about cars. What better way to learn and understand from different ideas and concepts then to go to a AUTO show and meet first hand with different automakers. You take those ideas and improve your own company. But first you must be open minded to change and go to the place where the greatest number of different automakers will be attending.

Dallas4u
05/29/2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by azskyrider
I for one am not from the USA as I am not a Native American.

What? :confused:

WyrreJ
05/31/2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by azskyrider
That opportunity I believe is greater in the USA than in any other country for the simple fact that there are more different races studying,living , and working here from other countries. That is why I said that I believe living in the USA is the best place to live. You're talking about the "great American mixing-pot" that we all learned about in kindergarten. That and the "give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses." Some of us really have that meme embedded deep in our psyche. But Osama has provided "our leaders" with a great opportunity to destory it, and they are doing what they can. Don't count on the USA remaining so great for long, without fresh blood we'll continue to grow more and more inward looking and stagnate.

technocoy
05/31/2004, 05:50 PM
to an extent, and i hope that everyone has put there differences aside today, and remembered those who have fallen to give us this opportunity to discuss, disagree and come together. and i think that goes for all nationalities, races, religions and creeds.

i enjoy being apart of this board, and appreciate you all. i think, everyone here should try and take at least one thing from each point of view, and think about it further. it may make you grow.

cheers,
david

transio
05/31/2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by SGT.BATGUANO
I don't have time to be lured into a tangled web of immature personal insults. Oh, like whipping out the word "immature" isn't a personal insult? :D I know you're pulling out your trump card on this one... working it so you can state your point of view without recourse or retort, but it ain't working on me. You seem like an intelligent guy, but I strongly disagree with much of what you believe. AND I think I can convince you (or maybe someone else?) otherwise.

I will say this, serving your country honorably/ working for the government or blindly agreeing with everything it does are entirely different things. Ask John Kerry. Err, yeah. WELL. This is where I disagree with you. One is executed intelligently and one obliviously, but BOTH serve the same SEPARATIST, NATIONALISTIC attitude that is keeping this world at arms. There's no need for nations in this stage of the history of mankind. All they do is segregate us and eliminate proper distribution of resources, wealth, and jobs, which in the end leads to WAR. It's an inefficient process and is completely unnecessary given the ability to travel and communicate across the world with such ease. For the first time ever, we can feasibly implement universal governmental, economic, educational, and other social systems. So what's stopping us? You guessed it... the richer nations would suffer a bit for it, and humans are too greedy to care about the overall betterment of the world. They want betterment of their individual life.

That's the thing here, that we can agree to disagree in this country, and frequently do. I'm saying that every human on earth deserves the same opportunities in life no matter where they live. Is that what you disagree with? Tell people in Cuba and Iraq that their pain, anguish, and imminent death is meaningless to America because we have the right to disagree that it matters. We have the right to build that wall around us and ignore the suffering of those on the outside and keep all the riches inside. That's the great right to obliviousness that is called "nationalism".

You don't want a bunch of lemmings, do you? Lemmings would be preferable, yes. Lemmings don't war with eachother.

Now I'm off to abuse my AR-15, Glock 45 and M1-A. Yeah, go arm yourself against the rest of the world. That's your right as an American. That is the same attitude that made this country so great ("great" means "big", afterall, not "good", ya know... something can very well be great AND bad), but big walls or whatever, they're gonna tumble. It's gotta happen sooner or later. Better sooner than later, I say.

Have a nice Holiday and remember it's meaning. This holiday is about remembering those fallen in combat. Specifically, Americans who've died serving this country, but that's a meaningless reminder of tribe mentality - how people will kill eachother just to associate with a cultural, social, or ethnically unique tribe. America is so funny that way, because our tribe isn't unique in any way. We associate with Americans with this illusion of "true americans" being people like ourselves... blonde and blue irish, or latin immigrants, or black or whatever we are... but LIKE us. Other americans aren't REALLY americans... they're just the people we allow to live here in our great country... and who don't really deserve the lifestyle this country affords people (because they're not like us). And they piss us off! LOL @ us that we have sub-segregation based upon race, religion, or just culture. We are truly pathetic. We can't even execute tribe mentality properly. :)

How better to remember the dead soldiers of the world than to LEARN from their deaths ?!? It's MEANINGLESS to die for a nation. A nation is nothing. It's an invisible line. People on the other side of the line are the same... they're people. Work out your differences and erase the line. Don't kill them and stretch your line over into their former territory!!! It's meaningless !!! Look at Europe... they've made the biggest leap forward by homogenizing their currencies. How smart are they?! We should follow their lead! Believe me, it would eliminate a LOT of (if not ALL) war if the world had one centralized economy!

I hope someone gets my point and agrees with it. This crap about nationalism is really peeving me lately. I'm so sick of people who support war because they think it's a good thing. In case you reading this are one of those people, this is directed at you. Breaking stuff is bad, braniac. Why don't you total your Vehicross so your insurance company can pay to have it suped up? Get a brain.

WyrreJ
05/31/2004, 06:10 PM
I disagree with you transio. Here's why: Ever get a virus on your PC? Know somebody who has? Maybe some people who've had been infected numerous times? Are you running anti-virus software?

If you answered yes to any of those, then you know why a single unified world economy/culture is a bad thing. Diversity brings resiliance, lack of diversity means shared vulnerabilities. Since 95% or so of the world's PCs run MS Windows, that means that 95% of world's PCs all have the same weaknesses and the last 5+ years of weekly, if not daily, virus attacks that collectively waste hundreds of billions of dollars of productivity is a pretty strong argument for diversification.

This theory isn't only applicable to silicon and electrons. You see it in nature every day where there are multiple species that overlap, but rarely duplicate their niches. It is a time-proven, even evolutionary, method for life to survive, even great disasters.

So, while modern tribalism may seem archaic, the solution you propose is the equivalent of "putting all your eggs in one basket." Sure, you can then watch that basket VERY closely, but all it takes for one serious "infection" (economic, biological, climatic, memetic, whatever) to get past the watchers and we could see our entire civilization laid to waste.

Don't mistake this position for an argument in favor of pointless warfare, but you can take it for a tacit acceptance that some deaths, even some truely senseless ones, are necessary to maintain the balance and robustness of our society in the long term.

PS. I think you'll find you are in agreement with the Sarge more than you may realize.

transio
05/31/2004, 06:24 PM
Wyrre,

You're comparing totally unrelated entities. How does diversity make government better? Diversity in business, technology, genetics is a good thing, but in government??? Come on, think about it. All it does is create nationalism and disparity of wealth. Believe me, I've thought about it a lot.

The only issue that could arise in singularity of government is homogenization of culture. That can be avoided to some extent, however, through physical separation, which occurs anyway naturally. Anyhow, the culture of the world is homogenizing itself as it is. They're building a Disney World in China. I've got a sushi restaurant within walking distance of my house, where I can eat with sticks sitting on the floor. It's entropy of the system of culture. We can deal with it.

Anyhow, please explain (with a real-world example) how diversity of government makes the world better. I don't see any value-adds, only negatives (such as war, poverty, and opression).

transio
05/31/2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by WyrreJ
PS. I think you'll find you are in agreement with the Sarge more than you may realize. Yeah, I know... but this is a debate, after all. ;)

WyrreJ
05/31/2004, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by transio
You're comparing totally unrelated entities. How does diversity make government better? Diversity in business, technology, genetics is a good thing, but in government???
First off, you mentioned the Euro. That is something other than government - a number of countries have directly tied the value of their money to the US dollar, which is almost the same thing (except the balance between the dollar and pesos or the yen is a bit more uneven than the euro's distribution of influence). Single economic systems can crash and crash hard. We are already part way there today even without a unified currency. Remember the hedge fund bailout a couple of years ago, the one that was so overly leveraged we would have probably seen a real, old-style, but world-wide, recession if it had not been bailed out?

As for arguing against a unified government, that is trivially easy. One word that represents hundreds of similar situations on a smaller scale - Hitler. There's lot of other reasons having to do with centralized control, etc. But it all comes down to diversity breeds strength and resilience, monocultures do not, if fact I'd be willing to be that they can not. Although proving a negative is always difficult if not impossible. Disproving it isn't.

transio
06/01/2004, 07:19 AM
Hitler was not a product of a universal government. He may have wanted to dominate the world, but he didn't. Had he succeeded, who knows? Let's take example of successful world government into account: The Roman Empire. Granted, they were very war-mongering people and enslaved most of the cultures they assimilated, but look at what they accomplished with their universal government... they established systems of commerce, travel, health, and labor that outshined the subsequent 2 thousand years of history dominated by war and separatist nationalistic idiocy. The Roman Empire was the most advanced, structured society of history relative to its time. I'm not saying that everything about it was good. There's nothing good about slavery or killing. However, a universal monetary system and government are good things. Rome has proven that.

Re: hedge funds, you're still comparing apples with oranges.

Mr. I-MAN
06/01/2004, 07:56 AM
Oh;eekr; Sh@T Big Typo I forgot the R in OOh Rah! I been catching hell all weekend from my friends who are still in. Good eye SPAZZ, and Semper FI Devil Dog.

Mr. I-MAN
06/01/2004, 08:08 AM
Hey people I wasn't trying to make this a political debate, I was just honoring an individual self less effort to protect his men and to do his job to the fullest. Whether he believed in the cause or not is not the issue. The point is that this guy unfaltering courage in the line of fire should be honored and reconized. Thats it. End of topic.

WyrreJ
06/01/2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by transio
Hitler was not a product of a universal government. Let's take example of successful world government into account: The Roman Empire.
There has been no such thing as a universal world government before. The roman empire was no such thing -- if you think so you are too western centric.

The point about Hitler is that he was elected and proceeded to persecute members of the electorate. With a single world government, we would be just as vulnerable to a single bad meme, embodied in an individual or a group, it doesn't matter. All it takes is the right conditions and people will be glad to murder each other in the name of authority. With distinct nations, it is possible for one or two to "go bad" while the rest maintain their sanity.

As for hedge funds getting out of control, that is something made far, far easier by a linked global economy. Again, you were the one who mentioned the Euro as being a good thing, that is an example of why not. If you wish to admit that a single tightly linked global economy is not such a good thing, then go ahead.