PDA

View Full Version : sealed reardoor subwoofer

UtahVXer
05/26/2004, 03:46 PM
I recently had a local shop construct a sealed fiberglass subwoofer enclosure to fit in the rear door. I am very pleased with the result. It is very inconspicuous and takes up no interior storage space. The sound is awesome. There is no comparison between the sound quality of a sealed subwoofer and a free-air subwoofer. Let me know if any of you are interested in one of these. If enough people are interested I could probably get very good price.

UtahVXer
05/26/2004, 03:48 PM
Picture

UtahVXer
05/26/2004, 03:50 PM
This is a 10" JL Audio.

WormGod
05/26/2004, 04:53 PM
I have the 12" JL. Working that big monster into the rear hatch is part of my plan.... *insert procrastination*.

mrtew
05/26/2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by UtahVXer
I recently had a local shop construct a sealed fiberglass subwoofer enclosure to fit in the rear door. I am very pleased with the result. It is very inconspicuous and takes up no interior storage space. The sound is awesome. There is no comparison between the sound quality of a sealed subwoofer and a free-air subwoofer. Let me know if any of you are interested in one of these. If enough people are interested I could probably get very good price.

That's HOT! What kinda price are you talking about! I could really use some BASS! (and I'm not talking about fish).

Navigator
05/26/2004, 05:56 PM
...Free Air was too imprecise. The bass was ragged and muddy. But when I sealed ALL the back wave from the front wave the difference was phenominal, crystal clear precise bass. Mine is a one of a kind creation, simple, inexpensive, yet highly effective :yes:

angrylittleman
05/26/2004, 08:00 PM
That's sweet!

If there is an opportunity for a group-buy, I would certainly be interested in getting in on it. Do you have a ballpark figure on price?

Kahuna
05/26/2004, 08:07 PM
I'm in, Just let us know a price

Deathbyarchitect
05/26/2004, 09:12 PM
I'm interested....:)

tomcat837
05/26/2004, 09:15 PM
It sounds good, but I am worried about cutting into my spare tire cover. That is something you cannot undo.

UtahVXer
05/26/2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by tomcat837
It sounds good, but I am worried about cutting into my spare tire cover. That is something you cannot undo.
A template will be provided to cut the hole. The result doesn't look bad with the generic-looking grille cover. Jay Dunford showed me his in Moab. Check his gallery for pics. It sticks out quite a bit restricting storage and is very noticeable to potential thieves, etc. The beauty of this one is that if anyone looks in they'll just see the stock radio and a generic grille that they may also think is stock. My amp (a 5 channel Alpine) is located out of site, above the jack. You could use a different or even a larger subwoofer but believe me the 10" JL Audio is more than adequate with the sealed enclosure. In fact, I need to turn down the gain on the subwoofer another notch or two. I have no desire to change the in-dash deck. I love the indash changer. (Just wish it played MP3's) The stock speakers are also very good; you notice a big difference with a little more power. Although I might eventually change the front two speakers and dynamatt the doors.

iownvx
05/26/2004, 10:28 PM
I'm interested

Moncha
05/27/2004, 06:18 AM
Just so I'm straight here, You put a 5ch Alpine between your stock system and your stock speakers and also your sub?

BRIANJONESY
05/27/2004, 07:28 AM
SIGN ME UP. I ALSO CHECKED WITH A LOCAL AUDIO SHOP, QUOTE WAS $600 IT WOULD BE MADE OF FIBERGLASS AND PERFERATED STEAL. IT WOULD BOLT IN WITH THE SPARE TIRE BOLT, HE WAS SUGESTING TAKING OUT THE SPARE AND USING A SPL 12.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW, RIGHT NOW MY 2 12'S TAKE UP TOO MUCH ROOM, AND CAN GET TOO BOOMY ANY WAYS, THE GAIN IS USUALLY TURNED WAY DOWN.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT GETTING NEW/NEWER BODY PANELS, I MESSED UP THE DRIVER SIED REAR BODY CLADING

dohvb1
05/27/2004, 07:58 AM
I was wondering if the extra weight in the door is causing any unneeded stress on the hinges. Any bad vibrations? Would a rear popper still open the door? With the spare in there what's the maxium depth you have?

Sorry for all the questions but I am interested in a setup like that but like someone else said, it is kinda permanent.

james1_10018
05/27/2004, 08:28 AM
please count me in, i want one

Navigator
05/27/2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by dohvb1
I was wondering if the extra weight in the door is causing any unneeded stress on the hinges. Any bad vibrations? Would a rear popper still open the door? With the spare in there what's the maxium depth you have?

I've had mine for nearly 2 years with no problems. His looks smaller & possibly even lighter than mine, and my hinges have suffered no ill effects. No bad vibes at all from mine, only tight bass. My sub was too big to mount flush so it sits out a couple of inches or so in the front. There is about 4 1/2 inches behind WITH the spare. Mine has about 1/8 inch gap between the rear of the sub and the mounting bolt of the spare. You'd get about another inch without the spare. Hard to find a sub narrow enough to mount flush. There is no way I'd drive without a spare :rotate: My sub sticks out too far to use the OEM cover, so used NAWGAHIDE to give everything a more finished look.

UtahVXer
05/27/2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Moncha
Just so I'm straight here, You put a 5ch Alpine between your stock system and your stock speakers and also your sub? That's right, so everything is amplified not just the subwoofer. Of course you could use separate amps, or just one for the sw and leave the rest alone. But a little more power makes the stock speakers sound MUCH better -- well worth it.

james1_10018
05/27/2004, 01:03 PM
so utah are you going to hooj us up ?

Moncha
05/27/2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by BRIANJONESY
DOES ANY ONE KNOW ABOUT GETTING NEW/NEWER BODY PANELS, I MESSED UP THE DRIVER SIED REAR BODY CLADING

Brian, try posting the request in this SECTION (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=51). That way it won't change the topic and you'll get better results..

Good luck!

UtahVXer
05/27/2004, 01:33 PM

Sorry for all the questions but I am interested in a setup like that but like someone else said, it is kinda permanent.
I already had Tone's rear popper; and it still works great. (I have it wired up to the remote like Raque Thomas.) There is no vibration, just great sound. The only draw back I can see, is that if you ever need to use the spare you have to remove the mounting bracket -- not hard but it might take an extra minute or so.

james1_10018
05/27/2004, 01:50 PM
So UtzahVxer are going to hook us up ?

UtahVXer
05/27/2004, 03:09 PM
If enough want one I think I can get the price down to $400 including shipping. That is a very good deal which includes the subwoofer, custom sealed fiberglass enclosure, and custom mounting bracket. All you have to do is cut the hole and connect to the amp of your choice, and you are ready to ROCK!
Check with your local audio shops on price, if anyone can get them cheaper let me know. I paid $1,000 for mine (which included the amp and wiring harness). It took them all day just to make the custom fiberglass enclosure. If anyone is interested send me an email at: ArlinS@sisna.com

dohvb1
05/28/2004, 12:19 AM
What Sub is included? I saw that it's a JL but what model? Just wondering cause the smallest depth JL sub I found was 5.375 inches. Can you order the enclosure and bracket without the sub? I'd get shot if I put anything other than Fosgates in there.

Radiologue
05/30/2004, 10:53 AM
Go to http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/welcome?i=EegNXLZu4bNHFw&sm=0&sl=0

Make your own and save some $$$

tomcat837
05/30/2004, 11:45 AM
Make your own?

I'd love to, but thats easier said than done...

Some of us might not have access to a shop and/or some of the tools necessary. Any ideas?

-x-
05/30/2004, 03:06 PM
....then mount em yourself, may be a bit more "cost efficient" ...x

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3046/204subs_angled-med.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/3046/204subs-med.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/204rear_hatch_angle-med.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/204subs_in_rear_door-med.jpg

;Dy; ;Dr; ;Db;

mrtew
05/30/2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by -x-
....then mount em yourself, may be a bit more "cost efficient" ...x

Is that a joke? That setup and custom cover doesn't look very cheap. The other one is kinda nice because you still have your tire if you ever REALLY need it.

morgan-tec
05/30/2004, 08:17 PM
X, that looks really nice, did you do it your self? I am still in the process of doing my boxes for my Axiom, saved at least $1500 doing the glass myself, its not that hard and the materials are cheap.

morgan-tec
05/30/2004, 08:22 PM
X, that looks really nice, did you do it your self? I am still in the process of doing my boxes for my Axiom, saved at least $1500 doing the glass myself, its not that hard and the materials are cheap. Here is a link to a thread about my boxes with a bunch of construction pics, check it out if your curious: http://www.fordexplorer.net/viewtopic.php?t=6351&highlight=

Hotsauce
05/31/2004, 07:33 AM
X: A creative solution. Does the rear door resonate too much? I filled mine with structural foam.

I won't say that anyones sub is wrong without listening to it first.

My experience is that setup in a properly designed box a single 10" is enough.

For the space available I think you will find a single 10" will sound better in the larger box rather than squeezing in 2 drivers.

It depends on what you expect it to sound like too. I want deep fast bass, and will not tolerate 'boom' Not to say my system can't play loud, but its SQ not SPL.

I chose to give up the space behind the rear seat for my sub box, and retain the spare tire. I'm contemplating removing the rear seat and making a MDF storage/sub/amp rack.

John C.

-x-
05/31/2004, 04:25 PM
....thats beeeeautiful, i want to do something like that in tha future for my amp(s) but been workin a lot, my buddy made those boxes for me and we got them mounted in the back easily...x

...and it is startin to have a "LIL BIT" of resonace but no rattle...yet. A year or so ago when it was put in the was none so i guess its time wearin away at the screws...x

UtahVXer
06/01/2004, 09:37 PM
What Sub is included? I saw that it's a JL but what model? Just wondering cause the smallest depth JL sub I found was 5.375 inches. Can you order the enclosure and bracket without the sub? I'd get shot if I put anything other than Fosgates in there. I have a 10" JLAudio. 8" or 12" would also fit. JLAudio is ideal for a compact sealed application. Another brand could be used, but be sure to check the minimum air volume required for a sealed box. If anybody is interested in one of these email me at arlins@sisna.com.

MachineVX
11/01/2004, 05:58 AM
Is this still a possibility? I'd be interested . . .

kpaske
11/01/2004, 10:47 AM
Here's my rear door setup. Did everything myself with basic tools and a lot of trial and error, but it came out pretty nice. I still want to design a cover to go over the entire door, even though it doesn't look too bad as is. And BTW, they sound awesome. I agree with Hotsauce, that you can really do a lot with a single sub (I'd prefer a 12") in a larger box, however, with a few tricks and attention to detail, you can get excellent SQ and SPL. These two babies ROCK.

http://kpaske.shacknet.nu/public/images/vxsubs.jpg

Oh, and BTW, I'd never ride without a spare either. Here's my solution - put a full size spare on the roof:

http://kpaske.shacknet.nu/public/images/vxside.jpg