PDA

View Full Version : will she live?

doubleadesign
05/26/2004, 08:44 AM
Just a few days ago I noticed a knocking sound. I took it to a shop for an audio analysis. They reved it from under the hood and were able to duplicate the sound. He told me to check my warranty because it was big time engine problem. So, is she doomed? I owe more than it is worth as a trade in and now with this I'm afraid I'd be way upside down. I just got new brakes and 20" wheels and tires! Fack! I need to get home tonight to check the warranty. But I thought I'd try to get some advice throughout today.
thanks for all help and advice.

tomcat837
05/26/2004, 09:05 AM
My advice is that I got dibs on the wheels and tires if she dies...

Nah, just kidding! She'll be fine just take her in, I will be praying for her speedy recovery.

But seriously, if she buckles, I will like the wheels and tires...

Mr. I-MAN
05/26/2004, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear that your baby is ill. Keep us posted on the status.

Good Luck!

t2p
05/26/2004, 10:00 AM
Ouch.
A knock can sometimes indicate a rod and/or crank bearing problem.
t2p

yal^
05/26/2004, 10:06 AM
Hey doubleadesign, what's the actual diagnosis?
The noise and engine problem sound very unspecified....

AlaskaVX
05/26/2004, 11:19 AM
How many miles do you have on there?

doubleadesign
05/26/2004, 03:03 PM
OK.
for starters I have just over 51K miles.

At lunch I checked the oil. it didn't even register to mark the add section of the stick. So, freaking out I dashed around to get an oil change. It just happend to be about the right time anyway and I had been thinking of it.

So, I pull in (no waiting, yeah! That helps when your freaking out.) I tell these guys my story before we get started so they can observe and make any recomendations. I loaded up with Casrtol synthetic and some gooey additive.

It turns out I had only about a quart and a half come out black as tar. Now I furious at the last place I took it to (White Glove on Clyborn). I was suckered in by the free car wash.

Now the noise is gone except I can hear it once in a while if I strain and it's about 15% as loud as it was.

So, I'm still nervous. Is it a ticking time bomb?

t2p
05/26/2004, 03:56 PM
Not good ......
Your story is (unfortunately) familiar ........ I have read a few other posts similar to this - on this site and a few others ....
There is a good chance there is some 'damage' to a rod and/or crank bearing. An oil pressure gauge would help in this case ....
a scored bearing will usually result in low oil pressure readings.
How long ago - miles - was the oil changed before the knocking occurred ...... ?

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/26/2004, 04:18 PM
Even though the following may not pertain to this thread's motor issues:

I cannot stress enough the apparant tie-in between high oil usage and failure to change the PCV valve regularly. I found this out myself from this board. My VX always used a normal amount of oil between oil changes since it was new; and then, used almost a quart during a particular oil change period.

I found some posts on the subject and changed my PCV (less than 5 minutes in the AutoZone parking lot.) and the oil usage returned to normal immediately. My last 3,000 mile oil change interval barely used any oil at all...just under full on the dipstick.

Joe_Black
05/26/2004, 06:08 PM
It turns out I had only about a quart and a half come out black as tar.

You check your oil how often?

doubleadesign
05/26/2004, 07:09 PM
I guess I figured my VX was like a 17 year-old - indestructable. I never had a problem with the oil before. never. and it had only been about a month since my last oil change. how many of you guys went through all your oil in about a month?

Well, I found my service contract. 84 months or 75,000 miles. So, I think I'm in luck. I'm not worried about them trying to get out of it due to negligence since there was none. I might have gone to 3500 miles some times but that's not enough to cause a problem like this.

deermagnet
05/26/2004, 08:16 PM
Geez, I hope everything works out for ya. Don't we have a dash warning light for low oil level/pressure? Shouldn't that light have come on?

Mark

doubleadesign
05/26/2004, 10:26 PM
it came on for about 2 seconds.

nocturnalVX
05/27/2004, 12:02 AM
Some VXes have become terminal due to no/low oil. Get it a complete checkup, and you can get it fixed under warranty if there is trouble. :luck:

ScottinMA
05/27/2004, 02:43 AM
Doubleadesign,

Is there a supercharger on the engine?

doubleadesign
Super Charged VXer

t2p
05/27/2004, 06:39 AM
with a warning or 'dummy' light, the light will (generally) only illuminate when there is a problem .........
when the oil pressure drops to zero - or close to zero - it will illuminate.
Not good.
....... and - the oil level must be *VERY* low for the oil pressure to read zero .......

doubleadesign
05/27/2004, 07:09 AM
I have not gotten the super charger mod. it would have voided the warranty.

PeteVX
05/27/2004, 09:08 AM
This isn't very helpfull after the fact but worth noting for the future... I use quickie lube shops too, like everyone says...they're convenient. BUT, first thing I do afterwards and before I drive anywhere is pop the hood and check the oil level, takes barely a minute and we've all heard the horror stories of them forgetting to put the oil back in.
On the flip side..one guy i work with went to a quickie lube and when filling it up, the dispenser malfunctioned and stuck open, the young kid did not know what to do so it kept filling till it overflowed, covered the engine, puked onto the hot manifold and filled the shop with smoke!!! Then they had to drain oil back out and have the engine power washed!! turned out not to be a quickie lube after all.

Did not know that changing the PCV valve affected oil consumption though, good to know..think i'll change mine this afternoon

Pete

t2p
05/27/2004, 10:05 AM
PeteVX:
I believe it was someone on this site that recommended changing the PCV every other oil change ..... might be good advice. Again, not sure whey the PCV requires this much attention, but I plan to replace mine often.
Also - keep an eye on the EGR valve - and the related 'plumbing'. I have been told this is an area that can lead to trouble when it is not functioning properly.
t2p

Dallas4u
05/27/2004, 10:17 AM
I recently stated that I change my PCV every other, or every third, oil change. I think MANY others do this as well. It's cheap, so why not?

ALWAYS better safe than sorry! ;)

t2p
05/27/2004, 10:21 AM
ditto here ............
meanwhile ...... someone I know has a 99 VX with 100k on it ....... he has not done squat to it ...........
and not one issue ..........
zero ...... nada ...... zilch ..........
100K of trouble free miles ......... and still going strong ........

Navigator
05/27/2004, 11:07 AM
... Or do it yourself. It's the only way to be sure the job is done right, and you know who's arse to kick when things go wrong :naughty: Try to check your oil whenever you fill your gas tank, it only takes a minute, and you'll be able to identify issues before they become problems. Let's hope there was no serious damage done :luck:

doubleadesign
05/27/2004, 11:58 AM
no noise lately. going to the dealership next friday for a check-up. can anyone recomend how to handle my visit? I'd like to make sure i don't get screwed because i said either the wrong thing or not saying something I should have. Also, would 20's be considered "oversized tires"?

Anita
05/27/2004, 01:49 PM
I would tell them you saw your check engine light flicker and subsequently heard some knocking... you got very concerned and thought you should quickly get her in for a check-up. Say that you have heard scary stories of other VX'es with the same symptoms leading to engine failure. I think I would be really hard pressed to say anything more that could remotely lead them to put the blame on to you or someone else.

Whether or not it is knocking now, at least in this way it would be on your service records ...

Sorry to hear this happened!

Heraclid
05/27/2004, 02:36 PM
If you pull the PCV and shake it, it should rattle freely. If it doesn't with every shake or doesn't rattle at all, it needs replacement. Of course, if you want to change it more often, it's not a bad habit, and why not, since it's only like $3 a pop. So if every other oil change or so helps you remember to do it, that's probably more than necessary, but it certainly can't hurt.

t2p
05/27/2004, 03:03 PM
Ditch the tires.
There is a strong possibility - in the fine print - the use of 'oversize' tires could affect the warranty.

Mr. I-MAN
05/27/2004, 03:13 PM
I will help you out by taking those evil wheel & tires off your hands thus preserving the integrity of your warranty. Hey what are friends for!

yal^
05/27/2004, 04:53 PM
Do you still have your set of stock tires?
If you got rid of them already you could use my set for a while. I have stock 18" sitting in a garage and collecting dust. If you are concerned about those 20" vioding your warranty PM me, I'll lend you mine.

doubleadesign
05/27/2004, 05:08 PM
Well. I still have my old rims. but i need to get regular tires on them. I'm going to ask the guy at Arandas if he'll help me out. I'd just need old tires for the duration of the "operation". anyone in the area who wants to help out can have my MT Baja Claws for the help.

yal^
05/27/2004, 05:13 PM
I meant rims and tires altogheter.
If you need them, come and pick them up.

tomcat837
05/27/2004, 05:33 PM
Wait a minute Yal, slow down a bit... I wouldn't mind putting those 18s on my '99 Astral...

psychos2
05/27/2004, 05:33 PM
you have 20" rims ? what size are the tires? that is what matters. shawn

yal^
05/27/2004, 05:47 PM
but just thought of something. There shouldn't be any problem with my rims from 2001 on '99 VX, should there?

doubleadesign, you got PM :)

SGT.BATGUANO
05/27/2004, 10:23 PM
Get your documentation in order. You may want to have your dealer do the oil usage monitoring program, so that it will be documented by them too.

yal^
05/29/2004, 09:17 AM
doubleadesign, did you get my PM with my adress and phone #?

tomcat837
05/29/2004, 09:44 AM
Anyone want to sell their 18 inch rims???

doubleadesign
05/29/2004, 11:17 AM
yes thanks! I think Thursday will be perfect.

doubleadesign
06/04/2004, 09:56 PM
Dealer gave it the "thumbs up". I'll pick it up this weekend. I still think I heard the noise again but they said it's OK. I also had then give the whole thing a look over especially the shocks. Everything is great! Thanks for all your advice! She will LIVE!

omegavx
06/04/2004, 10:03 PM
:dance: Glad to Hear it!!! :dance: