PDA

View Full Version : Navigation System/rear Camera

rocket man
05/26/2004, 01:56 AM
I have been looking at navigation systems and found this dandy recently released set up. Its called a AVIC-N1 and its made by Pioneer Electronics. Its right on there website front page... pioneerelectronics.com . It is reverse image rear camera adaptable, Has am/fm radio w/graphic equalizer, X-band capable, plays cd's dvd's and mp3's and an onboard gps navigation that gives audio directions and has voice recognition. It fits where our radio is presently installed, the LCD monitor is "wide aspect ratio 15.3 is 6'5 inches wide and automatically retracts horizontally into the dash when turned off or the ignition is turned off. Lots more trick stuff..may take an astronaut to operate it maybe???Retails $1,700 Saw on e-bay several "brand new @ $1200-$1400 range and one for $650...

I always hate forging new paths with new equipment, somehow I always get screwed.. :mad: So if any of you kind souls know of this unit or even have it...I would really appreciate your input:D :

rocket man
05/26/2004, 02:20 AM
I have to reply to myself:p Dear Stupid..it is not $1700 m.s.r.p. as you erroniously stated BUT in fact is $2200

Also a better website is avic-n1.com

MZ-N10
05/26/2004, 02:56 AM
theres already anyother thread about this, so maybe do a search next time?:rolleyes:

but anyways....i think the gps navgation part is gonna cost ~1000 on its own...
________
Valentina.mmm live (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Valentina.mmm)

VehiX
05/26/2004, 07:31 AM
Here's my original thread on this unit:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=3810&highlight=avicn1

I have it set in my mind that this will be installed in my VX by the end of summer. I am trying to find the best deal on the AVIC-N1 because I am going to also add a few amps, replace all stock speakers and slap in a 10 inch sub woofer. The entire package is going to cost a lot so the less I can get the AVIC-N1 for, the better.

If I where you and had the money RIGHT NOW, I would run, not walk, but run to the nearest car audio place to have it installed.

The AVIC-N1 is BAD *****.

Oh, and the Navigation peice of it is built in to the unit as well as the DVD and vehicle dynamics options! No seperate peices required to be installed. They refer to this unit as the ALLIN-1 rather then the AVIC-N1 :)

Get it and enjoy!!!;eekr;

rocket man
05/26/2004, 01:19 PM
Hey... MZ-N10

10-4..rogder that! I did my homework..dude. I got the threads originally posted back in April. To my knowledge, nobody posted a thread saying they had one or had a working knowledge of one. That was the question I posted:mad:

Dear VehiX

Hey thanks for the kind response..yep I liked it too..I downloaded the Manual, (120 pages) and read it Sunday...it does everything, I think, except cook breakfast. I wish one of us had one installed just to comment on its user friendlness, installation issues, and compatability with the OEM disc changer. etc...I like the compactness of the unit since the "front office" of a VX is about the size of the interior demensions of an F-15....... size does matter:p especially when I'm inside it. Your extra plans sounds great Wow and I agree with you on the 6.5 screen. I used a cardboard box template and set it in front in the approx. location where the screen would be and the larger screen IMHO looked a little more "added on" and the smaller screen looked more in "proportion" to the overall dashboard theme. Kinda like putting a 60 inch widescreen tv in a 10X10 living room, but again tht was my HO:)

dohvb1
05/26/2004, 01:26 PM
I am interested in the same unit. Hopefully will get it when I sell my truck. A couple quick notes tho. It does not come with Voice Command. That is a $50 add on. Also, unlike some similar units in that price range, it does not include a TV tuner. That is a $350 add on.

The wife had agreed that rear visibility is horrible and said for safety reasons I should get a screen(The camera came with the truck just no display) I told her it was probably going to be around $400. I looked at a couple different options and nothing really impressed me. Then I saw this thing and I saw that it would solve the rear camera display problem. So for $1000 more than what I was going to spend I get some nice features. It makes total sense to me. Now I hust have to sell her on it.

rocket man
05/26/2004, 02:21 PM
Dear Dohvb1

Go to e-bay someone has one for $650 used(as of 2 days ago).... today is the last day I think...also saw one for (new I think)$1200. Oh yeah and yes I know those accessories are extras. Thanks for your input

The real reason for my posting was to "pick the brains" of someone who actually has one. My question about its function is mainly a navigation issue. I read the volumous manual and its unclear as to what happens when you drive outside the mapped area of the navigation CD. It is unrealistic to believe that 2 cds cover the US, parts of Canada and Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii and I do an awful lot of off roading in places I have never been before. So I use a Delorme Topo program, and lap top computer, integerated with a Lowrance gps...the system works perfect but is is an electricians nightmare. The CD stores roads, trails, and minute details you would see on a topographical map(Continental US covers 6 cd's). It tells you the terrain ahead of you, your ETA at your present course and speed and a "bread crumb" trail so you can do a reciprocal. Which is not too big a deal in the daytime when you can always maintain a visual reference of some landmark, but at night these things shine or in flat timber land too in areas crisscrossed with logging roads soon all the roads look the same?? While it works good it has just too may wires spread around plugged into lighter sockets and clutter to be convenient. This system could be my answer to the problem:)

zadam123
05/26/2004, 05:08 PM
I will be installing this unit on sat. I fell in love with it since the last post. THe feature i like is that you can use a slplt screen for watching the rear view camera and navagation, I just want to make sure i can also listen to mp3s at the same time. I got a great deal that i just couldnt pass up.

1- Take out kenwood 522 from my VX (only about 4 months old) and put it in my wifes car (2001 montero limited)
2- buy and install AVIC N1 in the VX
3- buy and install rear view camera in VX
4- also buy and install 7 inch flip down dvd player in the montero
with wireless headphones

all this for the low price of 2200.

I will post pics this weekend.

adam

rocket man
05/26/2004, 06:10 PM
GO Zadam!!

You might get a head start downloading the manual as it is 120 pages! Then print it out..seems pretty straight forward but might be a little easier to learn from the manual.

To get the manual go to the avic-n1.com website, click on the Technical box it will prompt to to register. In the box where it asks for the serial # of your N1 just leave it blank. then click on download manual..it will keep you busy for hours of suspenseful reading...Not!

Let me know how you like it...Im on the edge of my Recaro waiting for your opinion:D