PDA

View Full Version : yakima lowrider?

angrylittleman
05/23/2004, 08:06 PM
I was shopping for hitches and racks today - I need a 2" receiver hitch for my bike rack - and I came across the Yakima LowRider in my search through the Yakima catalog. They don't list the VehiCross in the catalog, but it shows the LowRider will fit the Rodeo and Rodeo Sport's stock roof rack. Does anyone know if this would fit the VehiCross stock rack rails?

Kahuna
05/23/2004, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure. In all my research everybody has told be to buy the A1. I have never heard that the lowrider will fit. Do a search, my info may not be correct. However, I do know that the Yakima A1 fits our VX's.

I have one for sale on Ebay for $80.00-Buy it now price. If interested, click the link below. If interested in a trade, I would be happy with that too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3679316587&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Kahekili
05/23/2004, 11:09 PM
The A1 will work, but the brackets and rods will ride higher since the A1 was designed to go on a side raingutter. I hooked up my old A1 set-up on our VX and my wife and kids told me that it looked funny.
Also found out that the only place to get the factory Yakima clips and wings is from a dealer, don't know why, it just is :confused:
Anyway I am trying to find one from a salvage house before I break down and spend big bucks by purchasing it from the local dealer.
Good Luck.

Kahuna
05/24/2004, 08:03 AM
The reason why you can only get the Yakima clips and wings from a dealer is because Yakima made the OEM for the VX. Isuzu had a non-compete clause with Yakima on those specific parts. So Yakima will never sell, (even though they made), the rack for our VX's. Yakima says if they were to seel the rack it would cost around 175.00 as you can see Isuzu had marked up the price to a over $345.00. Althought at some dealers you can get it for a little lower cost.

As for the height of the A1's, "yes", they sit higher, Some people like that because it clears the back fin alot better than the stock. Also, from my understanding there are alot more accessories available with the A1's vs. the OEM's

angrylittleman
05/24/2004, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info! That may be a good option, especially since any receiver hitches I've found are $150-200, and are all special order items.

I'll get back to you Tuesday on the A1s!

Thanks again,

Eric

Dallas4u
05/24/2004, 02:52 PM
Just as reference... you can check out my old(er) thread here:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3525&highlight=roof+rack

omegavx
05/24/2004, 03:59 PM
Ok, I'm some what confused. Are we referring to a Yakima 1A rack system or is there another system called the A1 that I've never heard of, or are we talking steak sauce?? :)

If your looking for a receiver hitch then you might check out Tone's Frame Mount Receiver hitch http://www.tonemonday.com/accessories.htm.

Kahuna
05/24/2004, 06:43 PM
Thier are two. Yakima and Thule. Most people in here seem to have the Yakima. If you get the load Warrior, which many people do, I believe it requires the round crossbars. I believe Thule uses a square bar. Both racks are fine. In fact, the Y & T look almost the same. It's hard to tell them apart.

johnnyapollo
05/24/2004, 06:53 PM
If you get a Load Warrior, you can use the clips that come with it - they will fit the oval shape of the VX's bars.

-- John