PDA

View Full Version : Another Mod checked off the list;-)

XCross69
05/21/2004, 08:43 PM
Got the rear cladding reflectors replaced with red led lights. Hooked them into the break lights, at least they have a purpose now!! The lights were 2.5" so they fit in the places perfect. Total cost $33.00. Other pics in the gallery...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/357bl3-med.jpg

Kahuna
05/21/2004, 08:46 PM
Nice job!

Tone
05/21/2004, 08:51 PM
The reflectors you replaced DID serve a purpose, they allowed your parked vehicle to be easily seen by vehicles from behind. With them removed, your vehicle is now far less visible in the dark and may be illegal in your area. But it does look good. Someone take a picture of the rear with a flash at nite and see how brightt the stock reflectors are.

WormGod
05/22/2004, 09:21 AM
I have to agree with what Tone said, but that added breaking visual is really nice. Perhaps you can just relocate the reflectors for the parked vehicle visual. *shrug*

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/22/2004, 09:44 AM
Now all you need is to add a hitch and a brake light for the hitch and you'll have that U.F.O. look down pat @ night...LOL.

Looks nice!

coachreed
05/22/2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
Now all you need is to add a hitch and a brake light for the hitch and you'll have that U.F.O. look down pat @ night...LOL.

Ya know... now that you mentioned it... it would look a LOT like the small UFO's from Close Encounters of the Third Kind... but I think you'd have to do a Spazz mod (flip it over) to be sure... care to try? Just kidding... looks kewl... just don't park it on the street... do you do that anyway?

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

XCross69
05/22/2004, 05:28 PM
My car doesn't get parked on the street....I believe there are other cars out there that just have the break light lens in the back...in fact, some come out now with the clear tailights so I am not to bothered by eliminating a couple of reflectors. Besides, what I put in place of them are red and still have a bit of reflection to them....now if I just took the things out totally I could maybe understand your thoughts.

vx69
05/23/2004, 08:43 PM
If you do not mind me asking where did you get the Lights from???

XCross69
05/24/2004, 05:44 AM
Lights came from: uatparts.com

$10 for each light, shipping was also $10.00

vx69
05/24/2004, 10:39 PM
Thank You so much. This is been something I have been thinking about for a while. Great Job it looks great!!!

DaPenetrator
05/25/2004, 06:40 AM
Yo XCross69, nice job man. This is a mod that's definitely something to consider. BTW, were these the lights that you used (Model SL2500 2.5" Red Clearance/Marker) from www.uatparts.com at $9.96 ea?

XCross69
05/25/2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks for all the compliments!! Yeah, Dapenetrator those are the lights I purchased. As you may have seen they have a couple different ones that would fit in there, I thought these would look the best. The process went pretty smooth, however, I did have to break one of the reflectors out which to me was no big loss. Too, to get them to stay in, I purchased 3m outdoor weather resistant two sided tape, put the tape all round the light, cleaned the hole really well and stuck em up in there. The tape claims to hold up to 5lbs on most any surface and these lights don't weigh anything near that.

I always dred having to remove the rear bumper cladding.....has to be the suckiest part;) Just undid the sides to do this but it still sucked.....

DaPenetrator
05/25/2004, 08:48 AM
XCross69, you mention that you had to break out one of the stock reflectors. What orginally held them in place? Curious as to whether it's a clip, tape, screw, etc., just to avoid breaking mine if and/or when I decide to do this. Thanks.

XCross69
05/25/2004, 09:57 AM
Its a nut/bolt set up. The one I had to break out was rusted so when I went to loosen the the nut the little bolt that sticks out from the reflector was turning as well???....I tried many things to not have to break it but.....it came down to pull-n the damn thing out... They should come out really easy, I just happened to have a stubborn one maybe! It was really just the lens that popped out of it anyway.

Oh, also you will have to cut a bigger hole in the cladding behind the light to get it to set in there flush, maybe like a 1 inch square. There is just a small area on the back of the light that sticks out a bit. Nothing major.