PDA

View Full Version : VX Shopping & looking for input.

nates33
05/21/2004, 05:39 PM
I've been looking around and reading up a bit & this board is a wealth of info. Of course I'm looking for low miles & would love to stay under $15K. I've come across some '99s which fit the bill like this one.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=160050744&dealer_id=&car_year=1999&make=ISU&distance=200&max_price=30000&model=VEHICROSS&advcd_on=n&end_year=1999&min_price=0&certified=n&address=15139&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1999&color=&cardist=172

... hope that link works. anyway, its a '99 in zip code 20850 on autotrader.com. WormGod & Navigator, this might be in your region. Ever seen it? Is it a peach? or a lemon...

My biggest real concern is towing capability. Does anyone tow much with thier VX? I'd like to be able at least take the 16' Alum fishing boat around still... I wouldn't think I should travel too far too often with, say, a 4000lb ski boat, besides occasional put-ins. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Dallas4u
05/21/2004, 08:31 PM
VERY nice price on a VERY low mileage VX... I don't tow, but the VX is a good tow'er, too. Others can give you more info on this.

t2p
05/24/2004, 12:43 PM
nates33:
That VX looks like a nice one.
I was hoping someone that has towed with the VX would reply.
I plan to tow with my VX, but I only recently purchased a hitch (from Tone) and it may be a little while before I find the time to install it.
The VX does have a short wheelbase - that may be a concertn, but it has a full frame and around 200 hp.
I do know that I have towed a motorcycle trailer with (both) a Honda Prelude and Civic with no problems. I also towed a 8x10 snowmobile trailer a few times with the Prelude (with only one snowmobile though) with no issues, so I am not concerned.
My guess is that you should be able to tow a 16' aluminum fishing boat with no problems. Or something like that.
btw: I live near PGH - north of PGH.
t2p

nates33
06/04/2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the responses. Sorry to not post back sooner. I've been busy checking out VXs!!

Sadly, the one from the link above was already gone when I called. I researched a little deeper on the towing issue & calmed my fears. Found some encouraging old posts here.

Drove a black '99. Loved it. Remarkably stable on 16's. Could really feel the TOD, shocks & torsion bars doing their stuff gunning it around corners.

Went to Cleveland (from Pittsburgh) to see a Proton '00. Made an offer that didn't stick. Only 16K miles on that one (maybe I should've tried a little harder)...

Now I'm talking to Robert (member here) about his possible sale. I really like the sound of his Kaiser '00.

I'm leaning slightly toward '00 models. Just for little things like climate control & adjustable rear seat hold down strap. Not to mention some warranty still in effect. I'm watching out for pitting wheels & soft shocks as I've heard. But I wouldn't pass up the right '99 if it comes my way, either...

t2p- I'm east of da 'burgh. I've spotted a few VXs tooling around here. One black one on pimped out aftermarket wheels I see most regularly. Saw a white one the other day (guessing '99 because of the wheels) with a bike rack on top. Then a nice Kaiser ('00 or '01) came cruising by gym later on. Made me smile...

Later