PDA

View Full Version : 60K service question

BlackVX
05/20/2004, 10:10 AM
My VX is at the dealer right now for a 60k service. They called me and asked if I wanted to change the following as "recommended" maintenance :

-PVC cap (I mean PVC valve) $40
-Steering fluid $115
-Brake fluid (a little low apparently) $130
- Getting a quick answer from this board: Priceless (That's cliché I know)

Is this worth to be done at 60k?
Would it be easy to do those fluid tasks myself?

Thanks!
Michael

Dallas4u
05/20/2004, 10:33 AM
Ehhh... PVC cap? The valve is $5 from AutoZone... not sure what the cap is.

If they are totally replacing the steering and brake fluid then those may be correct prices, but if they are just topping them off, then they are bending you over on those as well. I mean, my brake and steering fluid are clean as the day I bought it, and I think I topped off the brake fluid with a TINY bit around 6 months ago.

tomcat837
05/20/2004, 10:35 AM
Holy *****, you are being taken for a ride!!!

Mr. I-MAN
05/20/2004, 10:37 AM
bend over and enjoy the ride!

BlackVX
05/20/2004, 10:44 AM
They are still waiting for me to answer but I just wanted to get some insightful recommendations.

Tomcat and I-man are not helping. I guess that those are the ones who are taking me for a ride.

Anita
05/20/2004, 12:56 PM
Dont know if this helps but, Dealers have been found to be widely different in what they charge for service. I would call several different dealerships and get quotes for costs and details for a 60K service. I just had my 60K and it was maybe $150 at the most. Check this site's forum on good dealerships and give a few of them a call. Compare and take that information to your service dept.

tomcat837
05/20/2004, 01:11 PM
Not me. If I were you , I would just do it myself...

Dallas4u
05/20/2004, 02:08 PM
PCV valve replacement is one of the easiest tasks to perform... I do it either every other or 3rd oil change as it is cheap and good piece of mind.

Fluids... just look at them and see if they need to be topped off. If they start to get dirty then you may want to take it in and have them flush and replace the fluid. Again, mine is as clean as the day I bought it!

BlackVX
05/20/2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks for your replies Adam!

THese are very helpful!

Anita, I did shop around (like 3 dealers) and there were huge differences between them - Thanks

Time to get my VX!

Michael

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/20/2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by VXRaNgEr
Locate PCV:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/849pcv-med.jpg

Remove hose clamp and simply pull PCV out
Push new PCV in (FV384 for Fram) and re-clamp hose
Remove rubber grommets from posts:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/849grommets-med.jpg

Push grommets back into plastic manifold cover and replace

Done!

Here is a good posting from a previous thread.

Raque Thomas
05/20/2004, 06:52 PM
Michael - I've never heard of replacing brake fluid and power steering fluid unless it is contaminated. The likelyhood that is contaminated is very slim. Dealerships use the scheduled service intervals as profit producers. Here's what the manual says should be done for a 60k svc:
change frt and rear axle oil; change transfer case oil; replace air cleaner; change coolant; ck and adjust valve clearance if necessary; rotate tires; repack wheel bearings; clean raditor core & A/C condenser; check: battery, coolant, BRAKE FLUID LEVEL, coolant & heater hoses, exhaust system, fuel line and tank cap, engine drive belt, tires & wheels, steering operation, brake lines & hose, disc brake pads, brake pedal play, parking brake, suspension & steering, POWER STEERING LEVEL, TOD system fluid, cruise linkage, accelerator linkage; change engine oil & filter, lube accelerator linkage, lube body & chassis, lube rear propeller shaft, lube key lock cylinder.

Nothing about changing the PS and brake fluid. I've found that it is best to go to the dealership armed with a list of what YOU want done (per the manual), rather than their generic service. Usually, they miss some important items (the transfer case & axles), and charge you for a lot of useless other things they do.

BlackVX
05/21/2004, 07:26 AM
Wow this is more than I expected!

I'll compare their 60k checklist with this one and see if they missed anything important.

I'm definitely going to change that PVC valve.

Thanks!

Michael

Tone
05/21/2004, 09:24 AM
Brake fluid should be replaced every few years as well as the powersteering fluid, both of which can easily contaminate and will break down over time. Flushing the brake system can usually be done at most brake places for around $75. No fluid lasts forever.

MrCrowley
05/21/2004, 09:30 AM
If you check your brake pads, you will see that with wear- especially at 60,000 miles, the fluid is a little low due to the calipers adjusting out to compensate. Unless it is below the add mark, I wouldnt mess with it. Instead of adding fluid if it is below the add mark, flush you brake lines with new fluid. It is routine maintenance anyways. Cost is $5.00 fluid, 1/2 hour of yours and a friend's time(to pump the brake pedal). The rest of the stuff is at your discretion as to whether you have the tools and such for the work. The F&R diffs are pretty easy as is the transfer case. PCV a child could do, and the Tranny sounds like you should pay someone to do as it does require a gasket, filter, and a few other skills to do successfully. If you save on everything else, the tranny cost wont be too bad. Also figure how much warranty you have if any on the VX since it is easier to get warranty work done from a dealership if they rip you off for service from time to time! LOL but true!