PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Pronounce "VehiCROSS"?

transio
05/18/2004, 11:17 AM
Ok, so I'm gettin ready to go pick up my VX from Chicago, and I figure part of the preparation will be to answer all the "What is that?" queries. And, well, I'm still uncertain as to the proper pronunciation of the word "VehiCROSS". Is the "h" hard or soft? That is, is it "VE-ha-cross" or "VE-a-cross"? Thanks for the help !!!!

Anita
05/18/2004, 11:20 AM
i pick vee-hee-cross or just vee-ee-cross.

transio
05/18/2004, 11:22 AM
Apparently, I need to add options? LOL

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 11:25 AM
Ve-hi pronounced like you were saying vehicle then cross! Come on people it is a cross between vehicles hence the name ;)
VE-HI-CROSS

Kahuna
05/18/2004, 12:27 PM
Mines just called the "Big Kahuna":dance:

nocturnalVX
05/18/2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaVX
Ve-hi pronounced like you were saying vehicle then cross! Come on people it is a cross between vehicles hence the name ;)
VE-HI-CROSS

Either that or LOO-NER LAN-DER!:goof:

yal^
05/18/2004, 01:20 PM
Gill, I see you are learning from the best ;Do;

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 01:26 PM
UMM.... where is the "none of the above" on the poll. Do you not believe me or is your accent that heavy where you even spell things with eeeee's and aaaa's instead of iii's? Do you pronounce vehicle like ve-ha-cle or ve-hee-cle? I told you how it's pronounced listen to me! Can you not say "hi" as in his? C'mon man get it straight!

Do you say warsh instead of wash? My dad does just curious. Alaskans are blessed with no accent! Well not the real natives.

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 02:10 PM
Man I am looking at the pole figures and this is just wrong! I can't believe that none of you can pronounce the name of your car! It's not a Tourag!!!!!!!

Anita
05/18/2004, 02:11 PM
Alright Alaska, just for you! :bwgr:

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 02:12 PM
Your the greatest!:D
EDIT: So for the record I say VE-hi-cross

WormGod
05/18/2004, 02:28 PM
Vee - uh - cross

Usually when people ask what it is, you end up having to say it twice before they get it anyways.

"What is that?"

"An ISUZU Vehicross."

"A what?"

"A VEE-UH-CROSS!"

"Ah.... neat."

:p

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 02:42 PM
This is really going to drive me mad! It's not spelled Viacross or Veacross people!:freek:

Raque Thomas
05/18/2004, 02:46 PM
Your the greatest!:D
EDIT: So for the record I say VE-hi-cross

As long as we're correcting people's english.....that would be you're (rather than your) the greatest!;Dy;

ScottinMA
05/18/2004, 02:46 PM
No no no! Swell up with pride, stick your chest out and, in a pompous manner, say "Ve AH Cross" like Ted Kennedy would say it..but then I'm from Cape Cod.

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Raque Thomas
As long as we're correcting people's english.....that would be you're (rather than your) the greatest!;Dy;
OK you got me there! But you should have said peoples' not people's LOL ;)

TDUB
05/18/2004, 03:32 PM
I just call it a VX.

transio
05/18/2004, 04:31 PM
Do you pronounce vehicle like ve-ha-cle or ve-hee-cle? I told you how it's pronounced listen to me! Can you not say "hi" as in his? C'mon man get it straight! You're actually incorrect. The correct symbol for the pronunciation key is the upside-down "e", which is pronounced neither like a short "a", "e", "i", "o", or "u" in the English language, but is its own sound. For lack of that symbol in the ASCII character set, I substituted "a", which is close enough for anyone but the most meticulous of grammatists.

Nevertheless, whether the vowel symbol is accurate is irrelevant to the context of this thread, as I was not asking how the vowel is pronounced. I was asking whether the "h" preceeding the "i" is hard or silent. That's also why I only had 2 options at the beginning - they were enough to represent my question accurately.

:)

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 04:41 PM
hard h then

Anita
05/18/2004, 04:43 PM
Steve, as you can tell we get quite carried away here. Sorry...;Dr;

I've cringed at another owner saying...Ve-HIGH-cross. :deado:

AlaskaVX
05/18/2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Anita
Steve, as you can tell we get quite carried away here. Sorry...;Dr;

I've cringed at another owner saying...Ve-HIGH-cross. :deado:
And I cringe when I read this post and look at the poll! That would be real bad though!

dutchie
05/18/2004, 05:25 PM
This car is made in Japan right? Well since the Japanse can't pronounce the V it's called bee-closs here!
And so should you, my american/english/canadian friends, you English natives should stop turning each "foreign"word into something with an English pronounciation...:D

So all together....I LOVE MY BEE-CLOSS!

MZ-N10
05/18/2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by dutchie
This car is made in Japan right? Well since the Japanse can't pronounce the V it's called bee-closs here!
And so should you, my american/english/canadian friends, you English natives should stop turning each "foreign"word into something with an English pronounciation...:D

So all together....I LOVE MY BEE-CLOSS!

lol i think ill do tat...since ppl r already confused...wat the heck
________
WIKI VAPORIZER (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

johnnyapollo
05/18/2004, 08:21 PM
When you babelfish the Japanese for VehiCROSS it gets turned into "Beak Loss." This made me laugh the first time I used babelfish to view a Japanese web page...

-- John

NJVX
05/18/2004, 08:32 PM
Ok well I think the proper way to pronounce it would be like alaska does, but I think it rolls off the tongue easier with the silent H......Just my 2 cents.....

Dean;Db;

tomcat837
05/18/2004, 08:47 PM
Just call it what I call it...

AWESOME!!!

nyc #1 ironman
05/18/2004, 08:48 PM
My friends tease me and tell me it's pronounced "Vitchy -cross" (Haters)..LOL...

Kahuna
05/18/2004, 09:46 PM
Oh My God! We ALL have nothing better to do???!!!:smack:

Simon Templar
05/18/2004, 10:55 PM
I can't believe you people. 27 responses to this question and not a soul has gotten it correct.

OK...try to keep up here....the proper pronunciation is:

FUN

sheesh!!!

....sT

PeteVX
05/19/2004, 08:44 AM
well, my 2 year old kid Lukie calls it a 'SooZoo truck!' it works for me, bummer is he likes to point them out when we're driving but we never see any so now anything thats bright yellow gets called a SooZoo truck!

Some grown ups look at me funny too when i tell 'em its a soozoo but what do they know!!

Pete

Dallas4u
05/19/2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by TDUB
I just call it a VX.

I vote for this... more universal.

Besides, if I see one more person selling a "V-Cross" on Ebay, they will experience some beak loss.

VX_PA
05/19/2004, 09:58 AM
Don't worry Alaska, I called it the same as you did. So I voted that way too. By the way, it's still at the dealership if anyone wants a great VehiCross. Everyone should act like they are back in 2nd grade and learning to read, if you break the word down and pronounce it, then VE-HI-CROSS ("hi" like "his"). As you can see by this thread, everyone grows up differently. ;)

Daver
05/19/2004, 10:51 AM
UMM.... where is the "none of the above" on the poll. Do you not believe me or is your accent that heavy where you even spell things with eeeee's and aaaa's instead of iii's? Do you pronounce vehicle like ve-ha-cle or ve-hee-cle? I told you how it's pronounced listen to me! Can you not say "hi" as in his? C'mon man get it straight!

Do you say warsh instead of wash? My dad does just curious. Alaskans are blessed with no accent! Well not the real natives.

Being from Connecticut, I agree with that pronounciation. Connecticut people typically don't have a strong accent (odd, considering Boston and NYC so close), part of the reason the Connecticut School of Broadcasting is so popular.

-Daver

AlaskaVX
05/19/2004, 12:00 PM
:clap: :thumbup: :clap:
YAY!!!! I'm not insane!!!! YAY!!!!

Anita
05/19/2004, 01:45 PM
:clap: :thumbup: :clap:
YAY!!!! I'm not insane!!!! YAY!!!!
:yes:

j/k

transio
05/19/2004, 02:21 PM
OMG, you people are nuts. I'm gonna sell my VX and join a community of "normal" car people! ;eeko;

Hehe :D

PHO2GR4
05/22/2004, 02:56 PM
Strange...out of all of the other owners I've met in person, we've always called it the VEE-hick-ross, like Alaska says it. It's a VEEhick-ul, right? Not a veehackle or veehuckleberry.

Maybe I'm just a hick.

Nerfzooka
05/23/2004, 01:48 PM
BEAK LOSS!!! LOL!! Beak loss!!

http://www.aracnet.com/~allied/images/daffy.jpg
Here is someone about to get a a beak loss.

HA HA HA HA HA (snort) HA HA HA HA!

Except I think he pronounces it "VEE-hick-roth"

HO HO HO HO...wipe tear from eye...OH my gosh...sigh.

visconte
05/26/2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Anita
:yes:

j/k

...don't buy a maserati if you like normal people.

transio
05/26/2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by visconte
...don't buy a maserati if you like normal people. You quoted the wrong post (Anita's). I assume you meant to quote mine. I also guess that explains why you didn't understand the tongue-in-cheek joke I was making. I guess different can sometimes still be oblivious, huh?

mrtew
05/26/2004, 05:16 PM
VE-HI-CROSS

Dood! I say vee-a-kul when I speak of a vehicle. Do you say vee-HICK-ul? You've been livin in the woods too long with your Ve-HICK-ross!

Kahekili
05/27/2004, 09:00 AM
:yes: WormGod has the right idea:

vee-uh-cross:thumbup:

transio
05/27/2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by mrtew
I say vee-a-kul when I speak of a vehicle. Do you say vee-HICK-ul? LOL! I say it the same way. It actually confused me when AlaskaVX made his first post. "Like you say vehicle" then later he voted "with a hard H." I was thinking "ermm, that's not how I say vehicle!" I guess in the end it's a tom-ay-to / tom-ah-to issue, though. Different regions pronounce the word differently. Me, I'm gonna call it a Vee-uh-huh-kee-bee-kloss !!!!