PDA

View Full Version : sway bar question

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 12:22 AM
I did a search on sway bar stuff and came a little short.

What I'm trying to acomplish is a tighter "sway", I saw something about replacing the bushings with something beefyer, does that make a big difference?

If so, where do I get'm? If anyone has any suggestions....hit me.

Thanks- Jay

MrCrowley
05/18/2004, 05:17 AM
Polyurethane Bushings will help alot. There are a few companies out there such as Calmini that sell sway bars. There is also a company out there that sells sway bar disconnects so you can run sway bars or the stiffer aftermarket sway bars, but you still have the ability to disconnect the sway bar end link with no tools for offroading. Also, all of the stuff for all listed above usually is from an Isuzu Trooper.

Cyrk
05/18/2004, 06:45 AM
I got my Swaybars from Calmini they are 40% stiffer than stock bars... so they say, but they are the same size in diameter.

http://www.pureisuzu.com/sway_bars4.htm

I got the Polyurethane Swaybar bushings from Scott (Moncha) a while back he was offering them.

these two items combined really made the truck feel tighter in the corners and more like a sports car with less body roll, been very happy with these modifications.

-Dave

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 10:38 AM
Cyrk- Did you buy that set? If so, it looks like it comes with the Polyurethane bushings....you bought Moncha's?

Thanks for the info

t2p
05/18/2004, 10:42 AM
maybe because (I believe) Monchas may be the ones with the grease fittings ....... or did I dream this ....... ??
The Calmini bars look nice - they may be made of a'better' type of steel (Aircraft grade Chromoly for example) if they are the same diameter and are stiffer than OEM ........

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 10:46 AM
PS called that place about the sway bars and how come they are the same diameter, is due to our stock ones are hallow and these are solid..that's what he said.

Cyrk
05/18/2004, 10:52 AM
yea I have the Calmini ones on... but the busings that came with are stock or so, and the Polyurethane Sway bar bushings have grease fittings and are not made of rubber.

-Dave

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 10:56 AM
Oh ok, you used the bushings that came with the kit, but switched out the fittings....right?

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 11:16 AM
Does that sound right.....stock sway bars are hallow?

weird

Cyrk
05/18/2004, 11:32 AM
I used the ones that came with the calmini ones at the time, then switch to the Polyurethane Swaybar bushings that I got from Scott.

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 01:40 PM
so the one's that came with the set are poly, it's just the other ones have a grease fitting?

Cyrk
05/18/2004, 01:44 PM
I do not remember what were on the Calmini ones...

You should try to find out of he or you can get a set of Poly bushings you will be surprised how much less body roll and quieter the vx can be with them. It would be allot cheaper... And if you still need it stiffer pony up for the Calmini bars.

-Dave

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 02:06 PM
I PM'd Moncha to see if he had any left, is there anyone else that sells'm?

Raque Thomas
05/18/2004, 02:48 PM
I saw poly bushings with grease fittings at Auto Zone - does anyone know if these would work? TDAWG??

omegavx
05/18/2004, 05:42 PM
I think I got the last set from Scott awhile back. Here's some info on those looking for them at other locations

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2326&highlight=bushings

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 06:29 PM
Welp, I went to AutoZone and bought front and rears.

Rears went on fine, I got the wrong size bushing(larger by a hair), still put'm on.....I can slide the rear sway bar back and forth....is that bad?

Anyone know the diameter of the front and rear sway bars?

The fronts I could'nt put on, the braket is to long on one side.

xdfarrx
05/18/2004, 06:37 PM
Monchas sway bars were from Energy out of San Clemente, Ca. All sway bars as I know are hollow. Density of the material, and other properties create greater stiffness... From what I know.
D

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 06:48 PM
Well, I f'd up....I have to special order the parts.

Moncha
05/18/2004, 07:28 PM
Yep... I went through about 10 sets to get the ones that felt right and worked correctly. I chose the grease zerk'd bushings as I was trying to rid the VX of the squeak coming from OEM bushings. I could power wash them out, take them off and clean them to no avail. The squeak always came back. The handling change was an added benefit. I no longer have a source for the bushings so I can't order them.

The part numbers are;

Energy Suspension

9.5156G 3/4" (19mm) Rear

9.5163G 28mm Front

Good luck in the hunt.

jayfotos
05/18/2004, 09:09 PM
Pep Boys and AutoZone carry them(not that size), special ordered mine through PepBoys, they were a little cheaper at $18 a set....should have them in 3-5 days.

Dallas4u
05/19/2004, 09:24 AM
From what others have said in the past, the Calmini bars don't provide much more stiffness than stock. Some will say they do, some will say they don't. If it is split liek this I personally wouldn't buy them.

Now, I DID buy the bushings from Scott when he made them available and I HAVE noticed a difference here... a bit stiffer for sure.

jayfotos
05/19/2004, 12:04 PM
Yea, I'm going that rought...just the bushings.

psychos2
05/19/2004, 04:20 PM
you can order the bushing online from pep boys. $18.58 a set. shawn

SGT.BATGUANO
05/19/2004, 05:36 PM
Calmini bars come with blue poly bushings.

jayfotos
05/19/2004, 07:05 PM
I put the first set I bought on(wrong size, little big) in the rear and I noticed a difference......worth the money!

Crap, should of bought them on line.....that's just me being impatient...again!