PDA

View Full Version : VCross transmission check

JABO
05/16/2004, 08:44 PM
Me again,
My engine has suddenly become a tad louder and shifting less smoothly. I went to check the transmission fluid and found out that I'm not able to! Am I just overlooking something, or do I really have to take it to a dealership to have them check the transmission fluid?

Bewildered,
Jeff

Joe_Black
05/17/2004, 04:57 AM
There is a plug on the side you can use to check the level. I've been working on a "How-To" for doing your own tranny fluid changes and will get a pic of this as well. I'll post it in this thread tonight for you too.

vettewars
10/27/2004, 09:05 AM
And if the trans fluid is low is there a low fluid sensor that can trigger the trans check light?

Tone
10/27/2004, 09:19 AM
Plug is on the BOTTOM of the trann pan - upper most plug. Low fluid will cause erratic shifting and prolonged usage will bring on the Tranny Temp warning light - if that comes on, pull over immediately and call a tow truck. Check trans light is caused by any number of issues- no single one.

vettewars
10/29/2004, 11:45 AM
They told me flat out that I COULDN'T check the fluid.

The check trans light went on when she drove up a hill after owning it just a couple days. I disconnected the battery yesterday and found that resets all the lights.

But the trans shifts perfectly, and now they tell me the level is correct.

The explanation they gave me is the car has to be on a lift, RUNNING, and there are actually 2 plugs that have to be inspected.

They are running 2 hours of diagnostics on it right now...I am dying to hear what they say.

Meanwhile....the AAMCO guarantee WAS painlessly transferred from the previous owner to my wife, and they say if there are ANY leaks, they fix that, anything for no charge.

I wish the guy had opted for the 3 year guarantee....but I may still be able to pay for that increased guarantee provided it works to the orginal date and miles the previous guy had.

I also found out that there is a LIFETIME guarantee that you can get if you get a rebuild at AAMCO...for a bit under $1000. Geeze....that's not too bad.

This means a rebuild for about $2500 (depends I know on extent of rebuild but that's what this guy got and it's pretty extensive) plus $1000 and you got your VX covered for life.

jimbo
10/29/2004, 01:06 PM
Holy gear shifter batman! $3500!!!!

So sorry to hear you're having trouble with your VX already Vettewars. Not a very warm welcome to Vehicross-land.

Seidmanrob
10/29/2004, 09:37 PM
Yesterday I noticed that the transmission seemed to be slipping in 3rd gear every once in a while, I called the dealer and made an appointment to check it out today. On the way to the dealer the transmission just came apart. No movemrnt at all, just rpms and some nasty noise. After a tow, I got the news.....metal parts in the pan, and a huge amount of metal dust also. Since it is a 99 I was sure I was out of warranty. Well, my little VX ( I am the 2nd owner) was put into service in Jan of 2000, so I am covered. I won one for the gipper.

Bob