PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate Mod!

tomcat837
05/16/2004, 04:15 PM
I have been thinking about the ultimate mod. Making my VX convertible... What do you guys think? Could there be complications? Could it be done? Let me know?;eekb;

Hotsauce
05/16/2004, 05:22 PM
This is one of those 'If you have to ask' things.

Heres a couple of obsticles:

The roof supports the windshield, the A pillar will have to be redesigned. Otherwise it might flyswat the driver from wind force.

The door frames the window, and this guides the glass. door will need redesigned window mechanism.

folding mechinism, actuators, and storage will need fabricating.

Entire chassis will need reinforcing because of loss of stiffness.

Liability concerns if someone ever gets hurt as passenger.

Having assisted on projects like this, I can honestly say its thousands of man hours. Not impossible, but certainly an an advanced project.

John C.

VX922
05/16/2004, 05:47 PM
A better option might be targa or T-tops. Still lot of work.

transio
05/16/2004, 09:05 PM
When it comes to mods like this, you have to address two factors:

Functionality - does the modification make sense for the vehicle, and
Style - will the change complement the style of the vehicle or just make it look awkward?

In my honest opinion, a convertible VX would look awful. Functionally, this vehicle was not designed to be a convertible. You will destroy the rigidity of the chassis and make it unsuitable for offroading. Stylistically, you will destroy the lines that make the VX so beautiful. This car will never look good topless. T-tops or gullwing doors would be a more feasible modification for the VX.

Do yourself a favor, though, and take the money you were thinking about spending for a convertible mod and put it towards buying a car that is MADE to be topless, like an S2000, Miata, or Z3. All can be had at a decent price. I'm personally looking to get a Lotus Elise in about 6-8 months. These cars are all made to be convertibles, or "roadsters". They are drivers' cars. They corner well and connect you to the road. Your VX is not made for that kind of driving. You can cut the top off, stiffen the suspension, and drop it 6", lose 500 pounds and put in racing seats, and you'll just have an ugly frankenstein VX that still isn't an effective roadster. Bottom line is make your car do what it's made to do. If you want it to do something else, consider another car! :)

tomcat837
05/16/2004, 09:40 PM
I am not going to just chop it off! and what about the VX02? it is topless, isn't it? I would like to really and carefully plan this to make it look good. If I go through with it that is.

transio
05/16/2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by tomcat837
what about the VX02? it is topless, isn't it? Case in point. It looks awkward and "forced", as we say in the design profession. But hey, if you're absolutely certain that you'll love the way it looks and that you don't care about the concessions you'll have to make re: performance, then my opinion should really not matter. Taste is a completely subjective thing.

technocoy
05/16/2004, 10:54 PM
the VXo2 is bad *** hell. sorry, it is. that's just my subjective opinion as a designer though. i don't know many VXers who wouldn't love to get their hands on it. (especially anita!) with that said, this mod is not worth the money and time and loss of integrity (the car's integrity) that you will incur. put a nice sunroof in it and then trick it out with every other mod you would like, because that's how much you would spend to make the VX topless.

good luck with whatever you choose!
technocoy

WormGod
05/17/2004, 07:40 AM
I was never a fan of the VX02, but there are some fresher ideas on how to do it and make it look a bit more appealing. I did a PhotoChop of an idea that appealed to me, with t-tops and a removable rear top.

http://wormgod.8m.com//Images/Misc/vx/vx_sun01.jpg

I think they key is, if you have the money, start doing some renders to see what looks right for you, then check for stability where your cuts will take place (security is still key #1, unless it's just a show car), then find the shop to do it and write them a fat check.

johnnyapollo
05/17/2004, 08:01 AM
To remove the whole section (for a Targa effect) would probably require a windshield change - the T-top would be easier to do and require less modification due to stress from an unsupported windshield. The removable rear shouldn't be difficult, however you would have to deal with the rear tire hump or change the tailgate completely.

I'd love to see a real working convertible - if you can overcome the design obstacle I'd say GO FOR IT!

-- Best, John

VX922
05/17/2004, 08:48 AM
I like WormGod concept. Still lot of work, I am sticking to my V8 conversion in stead.

tomcat837
05/17/2004, 09:59 AM
V8 with the gas prices nowadays??? I think not!

Daver
05/17/2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by transio
Case in point. It looks awkward and "forced", as we say in the design profession. But hey, if you're absolutely certain that you'll love the way it looks and that you don't care about the concessions you'll have to make re: performance, then my opinion should really not matter. Taste is a completely subjective thing.

I actually agree with this. The beltline is much too high for a convertible. Like sitting in a bucket.

The VXO2 looks like a truck with the top chopped off, not a truck designed to be a roadster. The Chevy SSR has a similar problem. The beltline is just too high.

V8 with the gas prices nowadays??? I think not!

Better gas mileage than keeping the V6...

-Daver

transio
05/17/2004, 01:46 PM
V8 with the gas prices nowadays??? If one is willing to fork up the dollars required for a V8 conversion, I doubt gas prices are much of a concern ;)

doubleadesign
05/17/2004, 06:47 PM
We've seen it with the top down. What does it look like with the top up? Could make all the difference.

VX922
05/17/2004, 07:29 PM
If one is willing to fork up the dollars required for a V8 conversion, I doubt gas prices are much of a concern

I would not be surprised to see better fuel millage with V8 than with V6. Planned gear ratio is under 3.6 (3.7 1917rpm@62mph).

VX922

transio
05/17/2004, 08:54 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how much do you expect the swap to cost? What engine / tranny are you using? What's the effect on the stock tod / computer / goodies, etc.? Is there a thread on this already?

VX922
05/17/2004, 10:00 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how much do you expect the swap to cost? What engine / tranny are you using? What's the effect on the stock tod / computer / goodies, etc.? Is there a thread on this already?

VXvette (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2862&perpage=15&highlight=lt1&pagenumber=5)

azskyrider
05/18/2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by transio
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how much do you expect the swap to cost?

Steve,

The swap is easier and more cost efficient on the Wrangler than the VX because of the availability of aftermarket parts. For the Jeep fellows saying that swaps will cost around $5,000 all the way to $18,500 for a profesional job it makes you wonder how much for the VX .

AEV fitted a Hemi V8 on a Rubicon jeep as well as other powerplants with some requiring Lifts. Though the JEEP is different than the VX I think this will give you some Cost ideas.

V8 and V6 conversion prices (http://www.aev-conversions.com/HEMIcomparison.html)

I think that it would be easier to install a new stronger Transfer case such as the Atlas used by rock crawlers for the swap than remaining with the TOD. The Atlas is shorter. By doing this you will always have extensive parts on both the V8 , transmission and the Transfer case.

We will all have to wait for Coach to finish and he will tell us what is really involved and give us an accurate price sheet.

Two thumbs up for Coach!

I think I would wait. I think since Gas prices will be getting higher there will be many aftermarket companies like AEV offering HYBRID swaps. That might be the new move in the future and possibly a new thread on this site
;)

Triathlete
05/18/2004, 08:27 AM
We've seen it with the top down. What does it look like with the top up? Could make all the difference

The VX02 never had a roof. The concept car was a fair weather driver.

tiggergreen
06/18/2004, 09:55 AM
In my opinion, the VX-O2 was beautiful and I would love to have one someday. They even had a video of it being driven on the road.

But this would be a second VX for me - I would keep the original. I also am going to do a Limo conversion on a third. These are all just pipe dreams right now, but maybe someday...

I do not go offroad that much and for a convertible, I wouldn't care if it could go offroad - too much dust to handle and all that.

Plus, I do not want a convertible such as the MR-2 Spyder, S-2000 or BMW whatever - a lot of people have those cars and I like being unique...

Brent

BritVX
11/08/2004, 04:54 AM
I can't see why everyone is so frightened of chopping the top.
I thought the Wormgod image looked great and plan to do much the same thing next year but include an internal Roll Cage tying into chassis points and the top of the windscreen much as has been done on many other conversions of sports cars.
I agree with everyone on the VX02 it was a half hearted attempt with poor lines, the car needs the bodywork role bar to look right.

As for buying an Elise have you guys ever seen one of these in a crash? A few years ago there was a crash local to me where an Elise went under a trailer, both occupants were beheaded. I think I'd prefer to be high up.

Ldub
11/11/2004, 03:33 PM
Slightly O.T. here, but I saw a P/T cruiser convert on the way home from work today. I don't care for the hardtops but REALLY dislike the conv.(esp. W/ top up) way too much vertical sheetmetal to look good as a conv....IMHO.

Ldub

Tone
11/11/2004, 04:27 PM
Brit, I look forward seeing your chopped the top - few if any shops in the States would attempt that for liability reasons. Even with the roll cage, the rest of the vehicle will be severely weakened and will become loose and noisey in a relatively short time. Cars that come off the assembly line as convertibles are VASTLY different stucturally than their sedan counterparts. But I guess if you weld structural beams inside all the body panels and tied them in properly, it might be close to the original tightness.

The VX02 had the same lines as the current VX except for a more raked windscreen.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5029

VCrossfan
11/11/2004, 05:19 PM
Being a vcross is a "real" full framed vehicle it shouldn't be a problem at all.. Most if not all the new vehicles today and for the past 15-20 years are unibody (stamped frames). Some of the factory convertibles have frame connectors to help the unibody but it's still nothing compaired to a full frame. I have tied in frame connectors on the unibody of Mustangs and Z28's that are convertibles due to the torque.. And in some cases a nice 4 or 6 point cages on some help alot. Boy if I could find a light rollover vcross it would be a perfect canidate for a topless project with a nice loop behind the driver/pass with each loop reinforced at the bottom. Here of any rollovers or rough cheap vcross's let me know.......

Steve

Tone
11/11/2004, 06:51 PM
It was NOT built to a be a convertible and cannot be easily converted - period. When you cut the top off of something that DEPENDS on the roof for structural rigidity, it will have profound effects on the vehicle. Even cutting out for a sunroof has to be done very carefully so as not to cut into the front to rear supports on the outer edges of the roof (under the rails) and they put back in a frame and gusset around where they cut out the roof. But please, someone step up, do it instead of saying how easy it is and prove me wrong.

Cyrk
11/11/2004, 08:46 PM
Tone what year and issue is that mag?

-Dave

SGT.BATGUANO
11/11/2004, 09:01 PM
I had a full frame, 1987 Buick Regal that I made into a convertible, Grand National clone. I grafted on a power top from an early '80's Chrysler "K-car". Got some compliments on it too. It was stolen in Chicago from the street right in front of a friends house. When recovered, it was stripped clean of eng/trans and GN goodies. except for the 4.11. They even cut the hydraulic lines for some top-down joyriding becuse they couldn't find the switch.

I can tell you that even with a full frame you will lose a lot of structural integrity and it will never be as tight as as a hard top unless you go with a 12- point cage or better. Most serious racecars are hardtop for this reason. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd shed the top to save some poundage.

Having said that, if anyone wants to donate their VX to me for some nip/ tuck, just bring it on over:D

Francesco Rizzo
11/11/2004, 09:32 PM
Thread Tefth!

I looked up the mag and found:

Top 10 Sport/Utilities - Motor Trend
We test 'em, we rate 'em

Motor Trend, May 01, 1999
Chevrolet Suburban, Ford Explorer, Honda CR-V, Isuzu Vehicross, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover Range Rover, Lexus RX 300, Lincoln Navigator, and Mercedes- Benz M-Class

notice we came in 4th after the CR-V!

And to have a search for MotorTrend click here for other articles (http://motortrend.com/searchresults/?terms=Vehicross)

nater
11/11/2004, 10:30 PM
Tone, there are almost no models of convertibles that come off of the assembly line as convertibles. Just about all of them are chopped by ASC in Michigan. I have seen the Mustang conversion building with my own eyes; taking a back road out of detroit once in the late 80's I saw a large building, with several hundred Mustang hard tops one side, and several hundred convertibles on the other.

The reason they look so good is they are done to high standards with manufacturer engineering and trim pieces supplied. They are done by hand, and the roofs are indeed cut off of a coupe.

ASC has done all the Mustangs of late and all the Toyota Celica convertibles ever made. i believe they do the Sebring and Solara as well. They leave their tag on the car; search around, typically on the driver's door jamb you will find it. Older logos says "asc" in lowercase letters with a red dot, spelling out "American Sunroof Company" in smaller letters. The new logo has changed along with their company name; here is their website:

http://www.ascglobal.com

They keep a low profile, but they offer hints about what they do in the "at a glance" tab. Note the convertible top stuff and the Toyota and Honda awards.

A few exceptions:
-Miata
-Cadillac Allante: a special case, designed from the ground up as a convertible, to a level never equaled before or since. It was a dismal failure in terms of profits.
-Honda S2000
-SLK

A special note on the new Toyota Camry Solara: This was one of the first vehicles ever designed to be chopped on the cheap. The trunk is reused, and some of the body stiffening is already in the floor. This reduced the cost of the new Solara by almost $3000 compared to the previous generation. Very cool.

Just about any car can indeed be chopped. The Vx is actually an excellent choice because it is a 2-door body on frame. However, no convertible will ever, ever ride as well as a hard top (except maybe the Allante).

Nate

MZ-N10
11/11/2004, 11:14 PM
i believe the rx8 is built to be a convertible....they then made it a hardtop.....

but anyways back to the topic....if u ahve the money anything is possible....just build the vx from scratch to be a convert.....then bolt on the fenders, cladding, hood, etc.....
________
Velvettouch (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Velvettouch/)

Tone
11/12/2004, 08:19 AM
Yes ASC does a lot of chops, many for custom one-off vehicle conversions (such as for the VX)- but you are telling us that major auto manufacturers ship ALL thousands and thousands of their vehicles( sold as convertibles) over to ASC and then they are shipped back? ASC is going to go in, add major structural support (that would be much easier and safer to do when designing and building them in the first place) in a production style line? They must have the largest line in the world and lots of robots with only 1,100 employees!

But look at thier home page - the first statement: " ASC exists to help automakers design, engineer and maunufacture high-imagelow-volume vehicles". That is NOT the same as prodtion quantities.

The 350Z, Bug, Mustang, PT Cruiser, Porsche, SABB, Lexus convertibles and most all others ARE built as convertibles ON the production line from a design based on the original hard top versions. There is NO ASC sticker/plate on the vast majority of convertibles (and not on any of the factory convertibles I saw @ SEMA, Ford included). But I would be interesed in seeing YOUR Trooper chopped. With money, most anything is possible!

Soulpower
11/12/2004, 02:32 PM
I say chop that puppy up. I've seen VXs that cost like $7000. Buy one of those and chop off the top. If it doesnt look good, oh well! Atleast it will be unique. I pledge $500 towards this project!!!

BritVX
11/15/2004, 05:15 AM
Tone,
I don't think Nate implied every chopped car came through ASC however I can say that every VW Golf is chopped post production and done by Kharman, incedently Kharman also did a not to good 4X4 version of the Golf.
Anyhow as I said I do not intend just to hack the top off, my approach will be properly engineered as I intend to seriously offroad my VX but as we say over here "the proof will be in the pudding"

Col

nater
11/15/2004, 11:17 PM
Tone, I will try to get some hard numbers on this.

By the way, cars are not assembled by robots, only the welds in the bodies are. Painting is done either way, depending upon the line. The dashboards, seats, panels, engines, are all dropped in by hand. An assist device is used on the line so the worker's hand only guides the part, not so much lifts the part into place.

When I watched Grand Am's being built in Lansing in 1991, I saw two guys putting "IP's" as the tour guide called them (instrument panels) into cars. They had to lift the panels in sequence (they had a series of grunts and noises they used to stay in sync) and then used makita cordless screwdrivers to drive the screws home.
I was a little surprised, to say the least. I would have envisioned a machine with a scredriver bit at each precise location, and a jig for the dashboard, but muscle and sweat gets the car assembled.

As far as convertibles go, nothing has to be engineered in the shop, likely a template for cutting and welding, all parts ready to go in. I'm speculating 3 or 4 guys can do one (factory style) in a day. Imagine how many can be done by several hundred workers in a year. You are forgetting too that UAW contracts probably mean the guys actually doing the chops may even work for their respective auto company.

See here:
http://www.conceptcarz.com/folder/vehicle.asp?car_id=7849&vehicleTypeID=

A quote from the article:
"The all-new Camry Solara convertible will be a joint venture between Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Canada (TMMC) and ASC, which is opening a production facility near the Toyota plant in Cambridge, Ontario."

"The Solara convertible will be built in a dual-stage process. A coupe body shell will be built at TMMC, then trucked to the nearby ASC facility. ASC will remove the top and perform convertible-specific structural reinforcement. The body then will be trucked back to TMMC where it goes through the entire paint process and is fitted with running gear and interior. The car returns to ASC for final detail work including interior trim, quarter windows and convertible top installation."

This article is on the older solara, the new one is radical because it is designed to be chopped with no painting afterword.

Here's a little on the 80's Mustang:

http://applications.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/articles/93320/article.html

A quote:
"... the Mustang convertible returned in the form of a conversion performed by ASC, Inc. on coupe bodies."

Here's a picture of the ASC decal I mentioned, at a Mustang parts site:

http://www.mustangparts.com/images/ascdecal1.jpg

From an ASC Press Release:
"Once just a sunroof maker, ASC's award-winning programs include vehicle development and sub-assembly of the Chevrolet SSR; convertible systems for the BMW Z4, Toyota Camry Solara and Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder."

Nate

nater
11/15/2004, 11:29 PM
From ASC's website:
1991: "ASC builds 100,000th GM Cavalier and Sunbird Convertible"

ASC introduces first production convertible pickup truck, the Dodge Dakota Convertible

ASC opens Munich, Germany technical center for European open-air development

By the way, they define low volume as capping around 40,000 vehicles per year (per model). I doubt there is a convertible maker out there who isn't capped around there somewhere.

Nate

totallto
11/17/2004, 04:46 PM
That pic makes me think of my old Amigo!:(

Baldwin
12/05/2008, 03:36 PM
Ok....so I'm bringing this forum back. I finally moved to LA and spoke with Z from MTV's Pimp My Ride. They saw all the pictures of the VXO2 that I had and they said they could totally make one from my VX. Cost? Hold on....$102,000!!! I got it down to $82k! Hmm...is it worth it? It would be a full time convertible with no working top. Fiberglass with powered opening to reveal a very nice sound system. They would lower the VX by 1" and add 22" rims, Dual exhaust system, totally re-inforced cross bracing, new interior and seats, raked window and eliminate A & B pillar from the door (slick how they showed me it could be done), no more window though cuz they'd have to do something else to make it stop rolling up. I'd still need to get the skid plates from one of you guys though. and paint of any color that I choose. I guess it would be a little less if i didn't do up the sound as nice or kept the factory rims/tire, or kept the same color as the VX I got. I was going to buy a used VX for $6k. 2 concerns. $$$$....and if the VX I get will be ok to handle these mods since I don't know the history. I'm asking if we could document it and make it part of the Pimp my Ride show. That's open for discussion. So....who's got the money? Would you do it?

kpaske
12/05/2008, 05:40 PM
LOL If I had $100k right now the last thing I would do is mutilate my VX trying to make it look like a VX02!!

I've thought about what a show like Pimp My Ride could do to a VX, but much of what would truly be an improvement is beyond the scope of what that show usually does. I'm thinking engine swap, solid axle with custom gear set, 35"+ tires, custom suspension and lift, real skid plates (not fiberglass), etc. etc. PMR could definitely do some great custom paint, wheels, audio/video system, and interior redesign, but leave the exterior design alone!!!

But that's just my opinion. ;Db;

CoastieCosta567
12/05/2008, 06:59 PM
dude, don't "PIMP MY RIDE", all they do is distroy cars and they fall apart in a year. total waist of money, if you want your VX done right, go to foose, he will make sure your VX will turn out to be better and look like how it's suppost to be, not a bling, sparkaling made with duck tape POS, sorry, thats what i think MTV have done. Good luck though. Hate to see another VX go to the ****'s.

Baldwin
12/05/2008, 07:40 PM
Points taken. What's Foose? Gotta admit though, if I was a multi-millionaire, I'd go through with the mod. ;) THey know I'm a mechanical engineer with a PE (Professional Engineering) license so we talked a long time about the things they'd have to do to give it more support and still be a performance vehicle. THey estimated 800 hrs on just the top removal, structural support, design...etc. The other stuff was minimal. Oh wells, was fun dreaming for the moment.

JoFotoz
12/05/2008, 10:57 PM
:confused::eek::confused::eek:

What's Foose?

Foose is the Gold Standard...the MAN.

Try a Foose Google search...it'll blow yer mind!

jo

VCrossfan
12/06/2008, 05:32 AM
Points taken. What's Foose?.

Wants to drop 80k on an automotive upgrade and hasn't heard of Chip Foose??

Baldwin
12/06/2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I wasn't thinkin' Chip Foose when Coastie just said "foose" lower case. Was gonna go to Huntington Beach to talk to him too to see what he thought. Tryin' to work the marketing thing too and get a write off. For those that don't know, I'm also a hip hop artist. myspace.com/onlywon so tryin' to see if the record label could chip in and use this in a music video and as a business expense. Being an engineer by day and the "Lyrical Engineer" by night, I do have some logic to my madness. Had to go to GAS first cuz Xzibit's my boi. I'm just not big time...yet. Need the mad VXer's behind me.

VCrossfan
12/06/2008, 06:05 PM
Nice myspace page, and stepping out of your Proton at the beginning of the Glory Video and adding it in/out through out the video...Nice Touch..

WormGod
12/08/2008, 08:06 AM
If you went that Pimp My Rice route, I can save you the money....

$10 for 5 gallons of fuel

$.75 for a lighter

$1 for a local paper

Get where this is going yet? ;)

I have done custom rooftops, targas, and ttops back in the day and NO top has ever exceeded $8k, that I can recall. Of course, back then you were covering our $90hr labor, not that LA Thug Shop ("what is ASE?") $600hr labor. I am sure that the planning, design, and modification work will take a hell of a lot longer than anything I ever worked with, but $100k sounds outrageous. Now let's say you decided to go for it anyways.... think reputable. Look at shop credentials. Some of the shops you see on tv are circus shows. I guarantee 10% of the employees are actually trained and certified. Sometimes, those OJT guys may be good, but I need guarantee behind that work. You spend that money, you need to aim higher at someone like Foose. If a shop has too many shiny things in the windows and 20 lowriding, multicolored MODERN cars in the lot, run for your life. :P

Beinga hip hop guy like you say you are though, and if it's just that rep you are trying to uphold, its your call. I would take reputation of a shop over "but these guys do all the rappers cars!" any day.

Chopper
12/08/2008, 08:44 AM
Having met a "pimp my ride" ride...up close and personal, and experienced the quality of their work on a professional level....just get a sawzall and take it to BAM....same end result.

Riff Raff
12/17/2008, 02:41 AM
As Nancy Reagan used to exclaim "JUST SAY NO!!!"

taylorRichie
12/17/2008, 07:12 AM
I bet for the money you could buy the VX02.

Having not seen a West Coast Customs in person, I can't confirm craftsmanship, but Aesthetically I think they do a great job, and none of it, that I've seen looks like hack jobs.

I've always felt that if someone does a piss poor job in their trade, they won't stay in business. I have a hard time believing they do crap work.

However, If I'm spending that kind of cash... Chip Foose is the man!!

Baldwin
01/03/2009, 06:15 PM
great comments. Thanks for checkin' the myspace site. Was gonna use the mod on a new video for "Lyrical Engineer" and take it on the road with me to do speaking engagements and concerts at youth events to encourage kids to stay in school and at the same time pursue their dreams and goals. I haven't heard back from Foose yet, but still need to figure out the funds first anyways. Happy New Year guys and thanks for the comments.

pbkid
01/03/2009, 06:52 PM
ya, definately go foose if your going to spend that type of cash...

he does great, quality work...

Thmstec
01/04/2009, 07:31 PM
If I remember correctly, isn't a custom shop in that area is responsible for creating the VX02... started with an A? If that is what you are going for, maybe they are still in business?

Spyder
01/04/2009, 09:19 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vxconvertible_copy.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12668)

SilverBullet75
01/05/2009, 09:25 AM
When I was looking into this a while back, I found these online... they are similar to the VX02's... they are called "speed bumps".

http://truck.hownd.com/photo-1522-gaylords_gaylords_speedbumps.html

wekilled
01/05/2009, 03:22 PM
I had a Isuzu Amigo and found a split sunroof that I was able to shoehorn between the outer frame of the roof. It kept the integrity of the roof, but allowed me to have basically a glass top.-ie very little mods required.

As for the VX and a similiar project:
Anyone know of a company that makes very small (separate) sunroofs? ie. 12" x 12"? I'd like to put two in over each seat and have an instrument cluster running inbetween them.

-Doug

SilverBullet75
01/05/2009, 07:17 PM
Anyone know of a company that makes very small (separate) sunroofs? ie. 12" x 12"? I'd like to put two in over each seat and have an instrument cluster running inbetween them.
-Doug

Not sure about "manufactured" separate sunroofs, but, is it possible to cut windshield glass to the proper size to use? (obviously not intended to use as a "movable" piece, only fixed). I just test drove (for fun) a Jeep Commander Limited (Hemi) with one main sunroof and two small "fixed" sunroofs... just thought it was cool as heck!

crotchrocket
08/14/2009, 01:31 AM
I don't work in a hair dressers therefore i think i'll keep my roof thanks !!!!! :D

previper
08/24/2009, 06:46 PM
OK, seriously, I'll do it for 75 maybe 70 grand, and I'll need it for about 10 months. But I guarantee I can get it exactly like the VX O2.

pbkid
09/08/2009, 06:40 PM
OK, seriously, I'll do it for 75 maybe 70 grand, and I'll need it for about 10 months. But I guarantee I can get it exactly like the VX O2.
there ya go....for all those that ''must'' have the VX02 look...:thumbup:

Baldwin
10/10/2009, 10:18 PM
Ital Design made the VX-O2. They are back in italy and won't contact anyone back, not even Isuzu. I have contact info for one of the VXo2 designers. Metal Crafters here in LA area said they can do it for $70k or so and they'd make the toneau, cut the windshield and dual exhaust and resupport the frame. GAS quoted 80k and would include new low profile seats, new rims, automated tonneau new side mirrors, and sound system. I'd go with GAS if they'd lower their price in 1/2. If wonder if they got 10 people willing to do it, if they could go that low. They said the most costly item is to make the mold for the tonneau. Doesn't look to like too many people are interested though.

Spike
10/11/2009, 09:36 AM
I was never a fan of the VX02, but there are some fresher ideas on how to do it and make it look a bit more appealing. I did a PhotoChop of an idea that appealed to me, with t-tops and a removable rear top.

http://wormgod.8m.com//Images/Misc/vx/vx_sun01.jpg

I think they key is, if you have the money, start doing some renders to see what looks right for you, then check for stability where your cuts will take place (security is still key #1, unless it's just a show car), then find the shop to do it and write them a fat check.

Oh look, an Amigo!

Spike
10/11/2009, 09:41 AM
As for the VX and a similiar project:

-Doug

I remember about 20 years ago, companies like JC Whitney and Pep Boys had symetrical mini sunroof options. But they only manually tilted up and didnt slide back. Not sure about simple removability either. (I know I saw a pair on a mid 80s Cavalier)

They may still be around, but almost seems a waste of time

JoFotoz
10/11/2009, 09:24 PM
Baldwin...ya have a PM!!!

jo

Mile High VX
11/18/2009, 06:58 PM
I remember about 20 years ago, companies like JC Whitney and Pep Boys had symetrical mini sunroof options. But they only manually tilted up and didnt slide back. Not sure about simple removability either. (I know I saw a pair on a mid 80s Cavalier)

They may still be around, but almost seems a waste of time

I had a guy I worked with back when I was an Oldsmobile mechanic that put the top of a Olds Vista Cruiser on his Toyota Land Cruiser. It was a neat add, and since he was a good bodyman it was easy for him to do on the cheap.

If you don't remember or know about the Vista Cruiser here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1965_Vista_Cruiser_1.jpg

Not removable, but might be an option for those wanting to have more view.

BigMeatVX
04/04/2010, 05:07 PM
FYI ... member Baxman used to have a VX with a powered sunroof installed...a real nice setup Ive seen in person...
It was a retracting fulling opening tinted glass style....

I am thinking also of making the one of my VXs a pick-up...with a soild rear partition and rear glass window...Full internal Roll cage, and a small bed for tools and real sized spare tire (pre-runner stlye)

RamAirZ
07/07/2010, 10:20 PM
I also have a fully powered sunroof, tinted, retracts into the roof or can pop up for venting, has the sliding cover as well inside. I love it:

open
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/100_0122.jpg

vented
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss272/RamAirZ/1999%20Isuzu%20Vehicross/100_0124.jpg

ZubrAZ
07/07/2010, 10:40 PM
vented definitely looks super!

RamAirZ
07/07/2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks, I love the sunroof, I didn't even know it had it until I picked it up. The seller didnt even inform me of it haha

Big G
07/10/2010, 10:08 AM
Folks, My 2001 Dakota 4WD 5 spd V8 quad cab gets ~ 18.5 MPG around town (as long as I drive reasonably) and 22 mpg on the highway (under 65 MPH).

I do agree however, don't try to make the VX something it's not.

Big G
07/10/2010, 10:17 AM
Sorry Guys, My last reply was to an older post and I didn't realize it. I will get the hang of replying. My bad. THANKS

crotchrocket
10/20/2010, 09:04 AM
OOOOOPS :D

Not to worry, it was a relevent point anyway, dont make the VX a convertable!

vt_maverick
10/20/2010, 10:39 AM
Doing some catchin' up CR? Looks like you're starting three months ago, I guess we'll talk to you in a week or two? ;)

crotchrocket
10/20/2010, 01:07 PM
No way man, i swear this was on the front page earlier today!!!!! or maybe i am going mad, lol!!!!!:disturbed

Frankenstein
11/26/2013, 04:54 PM
Ahh.. I think I have the ultimate mod! :LineWave:

JoFotoz
02/12/2015, 05:04 PM
Gonna have to disagree with ya I'm afraid...

Ahh.. I think I have the ultimate mod! :LineWave:

ALL this:-

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23435

....and all done in house ( literally!) by owner Jon gets my vote :thumbup:

:p

Jo

kach22i
03/07/2015, 06:46 PM
Just thought this would be a good thread to deposit this image I found.

http://electricalmachines.biz/isuzu-vehicross-convertible/
http://electricalmachines.biz/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/isuzu-vehicross-convertible.jpg

And some more:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Autos/comments/1m2ikp/friends_vehicross_who_likes/
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/521/VX02_card_front_800.jpg

Lots of images out there apparently.

http://pixshark.com/isuzu-vehicross-convertible.htm
http://allroader.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Isuzu-cabrio-1.jpg

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/271-cars-and-trucks/68783445
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/511/medium/12P8260135c.jpg

http://www.fotosdcarros.com/fotos-isuzu-vehicross
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/511/82vxo2back.jpg

JoFotoz
03/15/2015, 02:30 PM
Yup :thumbup:

Just thought this would be a good thread to deposit this image I found.

Its in the basement of the Peterson Auto Museum in LA.

There have been a couple of group visits there by VX'ers from this site, organized by member "Baldwin" :thumbup:

Video :- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS3KHIVCZOU

More Pics :- http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=23660&page=5&highlight=peterson

It was an interesting design exercise for sure....
It can be driven.... but the one off fiberglass rear "lid" hides a bunch
of really nasty/rough fabrication ( see post 72 in the pics thread)

More "show" than "go"....

jo