PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problems?

AlaskaVX
05/10/2004, 11:08 AM
I am 99.9999% sure my alternator just died! Hell make that 100% sure! Just want to throw some advice out there to everyone. Well last night I went out to the drags and since I had a busted stud I couldn't race. So I decided to go offroading in the area. Well I only hit ONE mud pit, and it got really deep at the end, about mid cladding deep. I gave it some good amount of gas, and made it out with no problems. Then problems started in this order.... the battery light came on last night right after the mud pit, the heater went out on the way home (about 20 min. after mud pit), drove it home and hoped it would start the next day, started right up this morning and on the way to work, my dash started lighting up, battery light was already on, next came the ABS light, then the Air Bag light, then my stereo started turning on and off, then remained off, then my speedometer and rpm guage went out. I left it running because I knew what was happening, ran into work to tell them what was happening, ran back out to my car, stepped on the brake and it died, tried to jump it and no luck.

So, if you see that battery light light up, and you still under warranty, my suggestion is drive to the nearest car wash and wash it up, then drive to the dealer and get it fixed! Because now I have to have my brother tow me to a car wash then to the dealer. Gonna be a PITA. So thought I would share this bit of info. Hope it helps someone out someday. I hope they will replace it under warranty! Wish me luck! BTW I'm at 58,500 miles, only 1500 miles left on waaranty. I have hit a million mud pits but this is the first to take out my alternator.

Mr. I-MAN
05/10/2004, 11:40 AM
I will take them about a week and a half to get the part, and if you are like me and use your vx as a daily driver I had to pay $70.00 for next day shipping to the dealership to get my baby back in a day and half. Isuzu will not cover the shipping, eventhough it was their P.O.S. part that got you into the perdicament anyways. Isuzu customer service blows

AlaskaVX
05/10/2004, 02:01 PM
Actually Isuzu had 2 in stock! Even the guy behind the counter was shocked! But they wanted $625 for it! I ended up going to my dads work (salvage yard) and found one off of a Trooper with 47,000 miles for $130! Now just need to get under there and change it out.

AlaskaVX
05/10/2004, 03:06 PM
HELP! What do you use to loosen the belt tensioner?

AlaskaVX
05/10/2004, 03:47 PM
Nevermind I figured it out, but I am having the biggest problem getting the bolts that hold it in loose. PITA!!!!!!!

Note to others, an air wratchet would be really nice!

AlaskaVX
05/10/2004, 06:50 PM
6 hrs later I'm done!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!! The hardest part about this project is lining up the new alternator, I ended up using some WD-40 to make it easier. You have to fit the alternator inbetween these 2 braces were a bolt goes through. I needed my brothers help to line it up. One person on the ground shimeying it back and forth (trying to fit inbetween the braces) while the other person tells how close it is by jiggling the bolt around.

In order to take the wires out you will need to unbolt the wire "holder". Then you need to move it towards the fan to make it easier to get to. Then pry off the plastic piece covering the bolt, unbolt it. then for the wiring harness get a pair of pliers and hold the clip so it becomes "unlocked" and pull, couldn't get mine with my hands. Small hands, and lots of light definately help!

WHAT A PITA IT WAS!!!!! take into account that I have never changed an alternator and am not the most mechanically inclined person. This is not a how to by any means (missing a lot of steps) it just points out what problems arose.