PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices at the PUMP!

azskyrider
05/09/2004, 10:23 PM
Boy! I just filled up at the pump and broke the $30 mark for the first time. In Phoenix we are seeing $2.19 a gallon.

The Phoenix local news reported that SUV sales are down a bit this year with the high prices on fuel. Ford Excursion was down 20 percent these first couple of months compared to the same time last year.
Toyota Prius sales were up.

I think the auto industry knows that the price for gas will not go down any time soon but only rise higher which is making their gas guzzler vehicles less attractive. For example Dealers are giving a $5000 incentive discount on Chevy's Avalanche.

I think these are the signs of more high prices to come.

What are you paying at the pump?

Anyone considering of adding a Prius or another sort as a second, third car?

P.S. I know there are higher prices in other countries. I lived it but at least those other countries gave the consumer other options of high MPG vehicles that what we have currently in the U.S.A.

dutchie
05/09/2004, 10:55 PM
1 gallon=$4,- over here.... :(

Zu4two
05/09/2004, 10:58 PM
$30 huh!

You obviously aren't filling up a VehiCROSS. Last time I filled the tank, it cost me over $42.00!

MZ-N10
05/09/2004, 11:02 PM
2.13 for unleaded at COSCO here in the bayarea....

around 2.20 for shell unleaded....

premium is up to 2.50 or so.....thank god the vx takes regular unleaded
________
COLORADO MEDICAL MARIJUANA (http://colorado.dispensaries.org/)

Jim98122x
05/09/2004, 11:05 PM
If you wanted a Prius today you should have started looking 4 to 6 months ago. My co-worker is on a waiting list for one. If she's lucky, they tell her she might get one in September or October.

Meanwhile, Ford finally gets their greedy asses around to building their first hybrid vehicle. No surprisingly, what is it? An SUV (Escape).

Anita
05/09/2004, 11:07 PM
2.19 - 2.49+ in L.A. area

MZ-N10
05/09/2004, 11:39 PM
u can acutally pick up a pruis pretty fast if u dont care about the option package, and color.....so basically watever car comes to ur dealer.

my parents wanted a silver package8(or 9) and had to wait 6 months....we waited for 3 months and decided not to get a pruis....but 2 weeks into waiting there was a package 1 in red tat was in at the dealer.

by the way toyota is comin out with a hybrid highlander...and theres also gonna be a hybrid lexus.
________
How To Roll A Blunt (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

xdfarrx
05/09/2004, 11:49 PM
Its sick here. San Diego is even worse. Go to Hawaii and its game over. Europe still has us licked but who knows fro how long, GWB could be in for 4 more years and we can really learn how bad it can be. I should mention Chevron Texaco just pimped a 33% profit gain from last year when they had (I believe) 27% gain for 2002. We are getting worked because we drive way more here then they do (generally) in Europe.... I am driving my vx as little as possible. My R1 streetbike gets @200 miles per tank @ 8$ in premium... Because of money I am now using that for commuting and feigning death from people less then motorcycle aware- a weak exchange for $300+ a month in gas costs but that is how it is. :thumbdn: :noy: :mad: ;puke: :nor: :nor: :nor:

Kahuna
05/10/2004, 12:05 AM
2.49 to 2.70 in San Diego, but that's today. Tomorrow, don't know, can't count that high--I only have 10 fingers

johnnyapollo
05/10/2004, 02:56 AM
I filled up at $1.69 on Monday - same station is at $1.79 now. This region has some of the lowest gas prices around - still cost me $32 to fill up.

Ford Escape is soon to be available as a hybrid - I've driven the regular Escape and it isn't bad (Mazda drivetrain and chassis I believe).

I'm headed down to JoeBlack's RallyX event this weekend - guess I'll get to see what the prices are like in Florida.

-- John

Joe_Black
05/10/2004, 05:20 AM
Heh, I just filled up both the Dragon and the IronMan at $1.96 for mid-grade. Most places have mid-grade for $1.99, but about a third are a little less. Interestingly enough though, both VX's seem to be getting slightly better mileage of late.

Navigator
05/10/2004, 05:38 AM
...Depends on where you buy it. Mid and premium grades typically are 10 and 20 cents higher per gallon respectively. I see a motorcyle purchase in my not too distant future :naughty:

Andrey
05/10/2004, 06:27 AM
I use only Mobile 1. In Boston I've seen 1.93 - 2.15 When I came to US in '93 regular was 55 cents at no name gaz station.

WE NEED TO DO RIGHT THING ON NOVEMBER ELECTIONS ! Otherwise we are bound for more trouble for another 4 years !

carlymac
05/10/2004, 06:35 AM
$1.86 in Nashville,TN

joe-yamma
05/10/2004, 06:41 AM
$1.99 per gallon for 89 octane last night... $37.50 fill-up

Maverick
05/10/2004, 06:51 AM
regular ranges from $1.85 and up, ive seen super as high as $2.19 .. luckily my vx is in good tune and ive gotten as much as 401 miles to a tank...and average about 360 or so .. we still dont have it nearly as bad as the rest of the world..but these prices are certainly beginning to hit people in the pocket...
for me its been an incentive to get my 924 turbo back in order, as ive gotten better than 30 mpg with it highway..and it doesnt comprimise performance for economy. there are many older cars out there there that are very thrifty on fuel and dont look like a squished frog...
I think soon well see a renewed interest in public transportation in many areas, as well as some major spending on alternative fuel development, seems to be a logical progression. im still waiting for my "mr fusion" reactor conversion kit...

DaPenetrator
05/10/2004, 07:14 AM
Filled up yesterday at the Safeway Gas. 93 Octane was $1.99. Not too bad compared to the post I've seen here. Cost me $33.00 to fillup.

Nevertheless, I still decided to conserve today and drove my motorycle to work. Thank God the weather is suppose to be beautiful here all week. I'll just have to dodge the scattered afternoon thunder storms ;)

WormGod
05/10/2004, 07:41 AM
$2.16 here. I am near the $40 fill up mark.

Wait till election time. Bush will drop prices by $.50 to ATTEMPT to sway the vote to his side. :rolleyes:

tomcat837
05/10/2004, 08:46 AM
1.75 in South Texas. It sux, but at least I get better gas mileage than my wife and her Navigator!!!

Triathlete
05/10/2004, 10:16 AM
Buckninetynine here in Tucson. The best part is that the local news paper ran an article about how the gas pumps are far from accurate and ripping off us the consumer. They said that you don't get a gallon when it reads 1 gallon! So not only are you getting ripped off by the mega billionaire that owns the fuel but your getting ripped off by the pumps also.

DaPenetrator
05/10/2004, 11:06 AM
Hmmmmm Triathlete, that's interesting. I'll have to test that theory. I've got a 1 gallon gas can at home that I use for the lawn mower. Since the gas at my local station is $1.99 per gallon. $2 bucks shall fill the can.

Here to tell you now that if it doesn't someone there will have some explaining to do.

Thanks for the tip.

rainee25
05/10/2004, 11:19 AM
Jumped to $2.15 per gal, last I checked here in Phoenix, it is outrageous. Luckily I filled up the night before it jumped from 1.99 to 2.15, still cost me $38 to top off.

MZ-N10
05/10/2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Kahuna
2.49 to 2.70 in San Diego, but that's today. Tomorrow, don't know, can't count that high--I only have 10 fingers

lol

and u ppl in florida have it good....no emmissions, relatively low gas prices, nice weather.....i wish i lived in florida rite now....
________
property Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

newthings
05/10/2004, 01:20 PM
On Saturday, the cheap station ( Union 76) started at 2.13 in the morning, went to 2.18 by noon and ended the day at 2.23 -- In one day!!
All stations are full serve in Oregon.
Roy

nater
05/10/2004, 02:17 PM
My Prius is on order. It will be a few months yet. However, I bought a brand new, american built high-MPG vehicle while I'm waiting for it:

http://www.buell.com/images/products/motorcycles/firebolt/12r/gallery/gallery_8_enlarge.jpg

Yeah, baby!

The Trooper has been relegated to occasional use only.

Nate

Andrey
05/10/2004, 02:41 PM
Check this out ! Might help to find cheaper gas:

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/10/2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by WormGod
$2.16 here. I am near the $40 fill up mark.

Wait till election time. Bush will drop prices by $.50 to ATTEMPT to sway the vote to his side. :rolleyes:

$1.92 in Erie Area....I still say they'll find Osama Bin Laden about 1 month before the election in order to give Bush a big push at the crucial vote time.

azskyrider
05/10/2004, 06:45 PM
Roger that Matey!

I wonder which aftermarket company will start selling Hybrid conversions for our Gas vehicles.

xdfarrx
05/10/2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by nater
My Prius is on order. It will be a few months yet. However, I bought a brand new, american built high-MPG vehicle while I'm waiting for it:

http://www.buell.com/images/products/motorcycles/firebolt/12r/gallery/gallery_8_enlarge.jpg

Yeah, baby!

The Trooper has been relegated to occasional use only.

Nate
Cool....Alot of fun in the twisties, be careful riding.

nater
05/10/2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by xdfarrx
Cool....Alot of fun in the twisties, be careful riding.

xdfarrx, yeah, It's an incredible machine. It's my first bike, and I've had it three weeks. I got a helmet, gloves and some body armor. Time for a safety class next.

Riding is awesome. Nothing can compare.

Here in Colorado, it's a wonder there aren't more motorcycle wrecks, what with all the crazy SUV's. I know this is nuts, but I'm hoping for Gas to go to $3 of $4 per gallon so only the die-hards will drive their SUV's, and the wannabe's and trendies will come to their senses and drive Accords and Camry's again. I can't stand the folks who have no idea that their Suburban is not a SubaruWRX, and almost roll it over every time they corner. At least I can leave them in the rear view mirror on the bike...

Nate

Andrey
05/10/2004, 07:39 PM
Just came back from Mobile. I use Mid grade only so ... lets embrace the moment of truth..... drumroll.... $1.99 per gallon = about $35 per tank (was not empty)..... sigh.....

azskyrider
05/10/2004, 08:04 PM
I'm waiting for it:

Yeah, baby!

Nate

Great machine but too much engine breaking for me. I was all over the track on that machine and I couldn't adjust to it. I felt like a beginner. But for my brother he improved his line and time majorly on that bike until he wrecked. Good thing it was a BUELL test event we both participated in. I would definately recommend a Kieth Code or STAR. You will learn more in one day than 10 years being a street rider.

Have FUN!

omegavx
05/10/2004, 08:26 PM
Today the gas price here in central indiana jumped from $1.79 to $2.05. Never seen gas jump so fast in one day, luckily I found a meijer that still had their old gas and was selling it at the $1.79, good till 7am tomorrow.

azskyrider
05/10/2004, 08:40 PM
When the gas pipeline broke between Tucson and Phoenix last year it was horrible. There was no gas anywhere and people where waiting for hours!!.. Some drove hours outside of Phoenix to get gas because in Phoenix there was some major price gauging going on. The attorney general and mayor jumped in but couldn’t do a thing since there was no law. Gas rose to $5 a gallon in some parts and some people made profit selling gallon jugs of gas on the street for $15! People were even filling up their BOATS using that huge gas tank for storage. But the craziest part was that as soon as people would see a gas tanker driving on the freeway they would follow it and anticipate where it would stop to get in line..CRAZY!!!!

dutchie
05/10/2004, 08:42 PM
Hey guys, welcome to the real world:D

sam
05/11/2004, 04:58 AM
Hey guys you should consider yourself lucky! Over here in the UK gas is priced at approx $6.97 per gallon!!!!

So consider how much the VX takes on gas in the UK - a full tank last week cost me $94.60

My annual VX insurance costs me $1467.16

Annual road tax costs me $287.24

:mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

ocwiley
05/11/2004, 07:50 AM
I think he means COSTCO!? not COSCO!
and here in Hawaii it's $2.32 a gallon, however at COSTCO here it's
$2.02 a gallon. It pays to be a member !

jim.LR>AR
05/11/2004, 08:33 AM
$1.89 here in the rock. I'm going to niagra falls this summer: 1600 miles. Thats $400 in gas minimum. Anyone got a room and free meal in Buffalo, ny?:D At these prices may have to sleep in the VX. I'll probably be hungry when arriving in NY. Steak would be nice. ;Dp;

t2p
05/11/2004, 11:11 AM
Gas prices .........
Forget about whining about $2 per gallon of gas .........
not in a country when so many people will pop down 1.25 for a 16 ounce bottle of water........

Yes - it will cost me approx $500 more to drive this year ......
My guess is that I use (approx) 1000 gallons of fuel per year .....
but even at $2.00 per gallon - compared to other parts of the world - gas is (relatively) cheap ..........
and the impact is not significant enough to get me to ride a bicycle or a motorcycle to work ......... or purchase a hybrid vehicle ......

jim.LR>AR
05/11/2004, 11:20 AM
Good Thing beer prices are being increased for no reason except to make a large profit. Then you would see wars that would make Iraq seem like kids on a sand lot.;eekb;

omegavx
05/11/2004, 11:50 AM
No offense to anyone, but I really dont care what other countries pay. I feel lucky I live in the US anyway without feeling lucky on gas prices. I'm not suprised its rising, I was just suprised it jumped $0.26 in a 24 hour period. Normally it goes up and down by about $0.10.

As for hybrid cars, I really dont think they are worth it if you are doing alot of city driving. I was looking at the toyota prius last week and it actually only gets about 8 to 10mpg more then say a toyota camry. The other thing is once the warranty runs out on that battery it will cost you $4500 to replace the battery alone.

Personally I will pay what I have to to keep driving and moding my vx. I'd also be interested in what third party solutions will come out for fuel economy in the next few months. I'd like to see a few hydrogen cars start to come out. Pretty sure we could all spare a few gallons of water to power our cars. Just hope they come out with some kind of conversion kit for my vx :)

One thing I do find funny is if opec keeps dropping the amount of oil they release they will eventually decrease their overall market. The US will simply start implementing alternate fuel sources to a point where we eventually wont need them. You'd figure they would want to sell as much gas as possible and keep the market up. But, I guess the quick buck now overshadows the future impact to their organization. Think how much money they are gonna loose in 10 years if the US gas consumption dropped by simply 20%.

jeffkics
05/11/2004, 12:42 PM
1.92 Regular 2.19 super in my area.

I remember filling up my VX and spending $25.00 which i thought was expensive. then by the time that I sold it i was paying closer to 36.

Miss my VX but not the fill ups. I got an AWD 3.5L V6 Vue and getting 24mpg now, and back down to paying around 26 to fill up. But the 0-60 in 6.3 sucks the gas but is a relief every now and then hehhe :) For now I am content.

tomcat837
05/11/2004, 12:56 PM
If I was still in the military I would be riding my bicycle right now, since I lived and worked on base. On the other hand, if I was still in, I would probably be in Iraq... AGAIN!

So what do we gain by venting and whining? Nothing. Most of us that have to keep our jobs, would have to keep paying whatever price the put at the pumps, because they know we have to...pretty sad when you think about it. They have us by the GONADS and we can't do anything about it. I guess I will have to sell the Navigator and get me one of those Minis. Luckily enough, my VX is still really good when it comes to gas mileage, if not, as much as I love it, it would have to go to.

This Oil War is affecting us not only at the pump, but with everything petroleum based as well... Delta Airlines is even talking about bankruptcy, go figure. Tire prices, cigarettes, food preparation, etc. will go up in price again before the year is over.

I knew there was a reason I don't really watch or follow the news, too depressing. All these things coming together are more than enough to make someone blow their brains out, but I have my family and my VX to keep my sanity.

JUST ONE MAN'S OPINION!

t2p
05/11/2004, 02:23 PM
3.5 in a Saturn Vue ..... ?
must be new for 04 ......
sounds good ...... but 0-60 in 6.3 - and 24 mpg - almost sounds too good .......
(they don't call me 'Doubting Thomas' for no reason) ...

nater
05/11/2004, 02:30 PM
Okay folks, here's the real story:

World wide CHEAP oil production is starting to PEAK. This simply means that supply RATES, not the SUPPLY ITSELF, can't keep up with DEMAND.

SUPPLIES are not going up. DEMAND IS going up, and SUPPLY RATE is not keeping up.

How to remedy this? There's not much you can do. China and India are increasing demand, and no one is increasing supply. Why isn't anyone increasing supply? There simply isn't more petrol to supply!

Dr. Hubbert predicted a Domestic Crude production peak for the USA in the seventies. He was right. He also predicted a world-wide peak right about now. I ask you, do you think he was right? Keep in mind that everyone agrees you can only see the peak after it has passed.

Don't forget the biggest problem is that Crude extraction must be THERMODYNAMICALLY profitable. That is, even if you have $1,000,000, if you want to extract a gallon of gasoline from the ground, if it will cost you (you have to burn) a gallon of gas or diesel to extract it, it's not worth it, no matter what the $$$.

Here's more on the subject:

http://www.peakoil.net/
http://www.peakoil.org/
http://energycrisis.org/
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

You may consider this earth-shaking. You may consider it bunk. Whatever you do, please consider it.

Nate

t2p
05/11/2004, 02:41 PM
jeffkics:
why you son-of-a-gun ..... I had heard that Honda would be supplying engines to GM ...... but I never guessed Saturn would be using the 3.5 in the Saturn Vue ......
The Honda 3.5 was rated at 240 HP a few years ago - now up to 250.
Congratulations - you now have a vehicle powered by one of the premier engine builders on the planet. IMHO - no one builds an engine like Honda.
When Honda became serious in F1, they dominated. Ditto for CART. Unfortunately for the engineers chosen to work on those successful programs, many were reassigned to work on low emisssion and increased efficiencies programs that have been and/or are to be applied to the 'normal' engines.
t2p

Heraclid
05/11/2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah, our stock 215 hp is nothing for a SUV anymore. It's nothing special at all these days. There are plenty of 'em coming out now with 250+ hp. The Vue is around that, as is the Honda Pilot, Acura MDX... the list goes on a bit, and that's not even counting Porsches and Infinitis at the top end. That's why I really want to get my hands on the supercharger. That'll just get you competitive with some of the newer vehicles, but still not way ahead of the game, either. But at least the VX remains one of the most all-around capable ones out there and still looks the coolest. :-)

Andrey
05/11/2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Heraclid
Yeah, our stock 215 hp is nothing for a SUV anymore. It's nothing special at all these days. There are plenty of 'em coming out now with 250+ hp. The Vue is around that, as is the Honda Pilot, Acura MDX... the list goes on a bit, and that's not even counting Porsches and Infinitis at the top end. That's why I really want to get my hands on the supercharger. That'll just get you competitive with some of the newer vehicles, but still not way ahead of the game, either. But at least the VX remains one of the most all-around capable ones out there and still looks the coolest. :-)

AMEN BROTHER !

SPAZZ
05/11/2004, 06:13 PM
I just drove a 1,000 mile trip from Idaho to Cali and 1,000 miles back, plus what I drove while there, at about $50 a tank average!!! Expensive mod trip...but well worth it in the long run;Dp; ........

t2p
05/12/2004, 05:56 AM
I also feel the 'stock 215 horsepower' rating may be a tad optimistic.
Given the weight of the VX and the gearing, the numbers do not 'add up' - the performance should be better ........ 0-60 times, etc.
Still a great vehicle when you look at the total package.

joe-yamma
05/12/2004, 10:43 AM
xdfarrx, yeah, It's an incredible machine. It's my first bike, and I've had it three weeks. I got a helmet, gloves and some body armor. Time for a safety class next.
Riding is awesome. Nothing can compare.

nater, congrats on the Buell. IMO they are cool bikes. i really like the design cues (fuel tank, oil tank, exhaust, etc).
good to hear that you got the right gear and that you're interested in the MSF. too many are buying bikes and not thinking about these things.
i would suggest a good pair of boots as well. alpinestar, sidi, and oxtar come to mind as good brands (check out www.newenough.com and www.kneedraggers.com)
i have an Arai RX7-Corsair helmet and Alpinestars jacket, gloves and boots and I can't say enough about them.
have fun and ride safe bro.

joe

ps - i ride a 99 Yamaha R1... i will be riding it to work as much as possible (76 mile round-trip commute)

nater
05/12/2004, 12:03 PM
Thanks, joe-yamma. I love my new bike. There are TONS of motorcycles here in Colorado. (Mostly Harley's). My bike gets so much attention wherever I go. The Harley riders hear it coming, then do a double-take when they see the bike. (sounds just like a harley). All the import riders like to ask about it, its atypical design cues, the american build, etc.

I will admit that the jap bikes are near perfection in design, smoothness, reliability, etc. However, I chose the Buell for the same reason so many here drive the VX:

There's nothing else like it on the road.

Also, thanks for the safety tips. I have FieldSheer leather and mesh jacket with CE rated pads and a polycarbonate helmet, and Joe rocket gloves with gauntlet. I'll be upgrading gear as I can, I'm hard to fit: I'm 6'5", 245 lbs (reasonably lean) and size 16 EEEE wide feet. Boots will be a problem, but I'll keep shopping.

Keep the shiny side up!

Nate

joe-yamma
05/12/2004, 01:34 PM
sounds good nate! definitely keep and eye on www.newenough.com... they have good deals on gear and i bet you can get some good prices on those sizes.

my wife was just out in boulder for conference for work and was all excited because she saw an 04 R1 for the first time in person!

joe

t2p
05/12/2004, 01:49 PM
Size 16 ! ............ you and Ron Lechien have something in common ....... (Lechien was a factory Yamaha off road rider - and later Kawasaki - years ago). He may have been a National champion ..... cant' remember).
I strongly recommend the MSF course. You will not learn how to ride like Doohan - but you may pick up one thing that could help you someday. I took this course - and I had been riding (off road) for close to thirty years. The best advice I can give you is to 'ride like you are invisible'.
My fav coat is the FirstGear Scout. Not the current Scout III - don't like the collar - but the original Scout models. It is the 'Swiss
Army Knife' of bike coats. Looks good on and off the bike. Dual front and rear torso vents and 'ram air' vents on the sleeves near the wrists. Heavy but cool. Not a track coat though - competition grade/weight leather, but no provision for armor - and no zipper attachment for pants.
I also prefer Arai helmets. I also have a few Shoei helmets, but prefer Arai. Lately, I have been using an Arai 'Chandler Replica' - (when Chandler campaigned a HD) ..... might be a collectible ? ....(see link below) .. I can't remember the model - not as neat as the RX-7 Corsair (my fav) though.
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=3154

t2p
05/12/2004, 02:02 PM
Nater:
I just checked out the pic of the Buell. Absolutely stunning. Wow. Outasight.
That is not the Buell I remember.
t2p

nater
05/12/2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the props, guys. t2p, yes, it rides as good as it looks. The main thing to get used to is the 6800 RPM redline. Fortunately, the torque comes on at like 2500 RPM, so you don't have to wait for the pull. Very odd sensation for the import rider who wind up to 12 or 13k in each gear. It is strange to have so much power so soon off of idle. While cruising, you learn to just leave the bike in a higher gear, and forget downshifting, you rarely need to.

Here's a nice dyno chart:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146-0312-twin-dyno.jpg

and the write up:

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2004/146_04_buell_xb12r/index.html

I wear a polycarbonate KBC helmet (inferior to fiberglass), only because of fit quality. I tried on the Shoei's; the shape was all wrong in the front, even with custom pads. The Arai's didn't seem much better. My face has kind of a strong jaw line and cheek line; the KBC seemed to be the only helmet that was less round. In general, my head is more elongated (or narrower, whichever way you look at it) than most guys, but my jaw/ cheekbones are not.

Any recommendations on helmets?

Nate

shoota77
05/12/2004, 06:39 PM
KBC VR-1 is a great helmet for its price. Removable liner and cheek pads. Real soft on the inside. HJC makes some quality helmets too at a reasonable price. Both companies are on the way up in terms of quality.

Joe_Black
05/12/2004, 06:59 PM
It's really neat how many riders there are among the VX ranks. I love all bikes in general, but Kawasaki has always had a special place in my heart. They gave me a taste of professional racing in the 80's on their dime and I've never owned a more reliable machine with the possible exception of a brief affair with the BMW Boxer. All-in-all everyone is making great bikes so you can get what you like and fits well without a worry. Most of the local bike-nites are very non-denominational and everyone enjoys checking out the other rides. One of my machines I haven't culled from the herd yet is a '74 Z1, and it's a great litmus test for finding true bikers. A grizzled old hog rider will limp over and look it over end to end then start telling stories from "Z" encounters of the past. True bikers appreciate the ride, not the brand.;Do;

As for helmets, Simpson Super Bandit! Try looking around at 120 and you'll know why. Leathers? Vanson. For when 120 goes sour.;eekr;

tiggergreen
05/12/2004, 07:16 PM
The Toyota Prius only gets 8 to 10 mpg than a Camry??? Wow - I had no idea that the Toyota Camry was in the 50+ mpg range...

The Prius gets 60 mpg city and 55 mpg highway... Right now, the average on dealer lot time for a Prius is six days... That is pretty incredible.

Basically, the Prius gets four times the miles on the same amount of gas in the city as a Vehicross. Three times as much on the highway. I just drove from Hillsboro down to San Diego and it cost me around $160 - it would have only cost around $50 in the Prius...

I love my VX - but I would love to get that kind of mileage in it. I think it is possible, but at great expense. Some day I may just get around to looking into it. But I will have to have a lot more money...

Brent

azskyrider
05/12/2004, 08:43 PM
Who knows... Maybe in a few years the whole world will be in a GAS crisis and we might all be in the world of the "MAD MAX":D

SPAZZ
05/12/2004, 09:04 PM
;Dp;

nater
05/12/2004, 09:08 PM
Mine has been on order since March 20th. If you'd like to find out more about the Prius, there's a great site, www.priuschat.com . (Warning! Some SUV haters hang out there...one guy just traded in his Lincoln Navigator for a Prius!)

Anyway, it seems that if you drive with an egg under your foot, you can get 60mpg or better. If you are a leadfoot, you might find yourself in the 40's. I'm sure leadfooted VX drivers don't get the EPA rated 19 on the highway, either...

The Prius is the ultimate geek mobile. One of the things I ordered is the "magic" key system: As long as the key fob is in your pocket, as soon as you touch the door handle, it will unlock before you even pull to open the door. When you get in, you just push the power button (the engine may or may not start) and you can start driving. Way cool.

Nate

Joe_Black
05/13/2004, 05:09 AM
The Prius is way nifty. An idea I've been tinkering with and gathering components for is a hybrid drivetrain for SUV's. Got the idea about 10 years ago for using ethanol to power a turbine-electric system. Nice thing is, ethanol is domestically produced and clean burning. You can even make it yourself! The system is compact enough to fit under the hood, can be digitally controlled and produces a tremendous amount of power for its size and weight.

Pretty much a variation on a theme, but would suit vehicles like the VX and have sportscar-like performance.

nater
05/13/2004, 07:53 AM
Joe_Black, would this be similar to what the US Army is doing for tanks? If you've got the inclination, now is the time. You don't even have to build the system, just get a patent and sell the idea. I suspect it would cost you about $20,000 for a patent but it sounds like a million dollar idea.

Toyota's hybrid system has been in development for over 10 years with production cars on the road since 1997. (Yes, that's eight years of real-world, showroom quality vehicles). This isn't new technology, it's just finally coming into its own.

I believe it's the next big thing. When I test drove the new Prius, I felt awfully smug sitting in traffic with no engine running and the A/C and stereo running no problem. The H2 next to me probably burned a quart of gasoline just waiting to get through the light! I sat through three changes of the light, creeping forward on electric power, without the engine ever coming on.

I think the smug feeling will continue. I can't wait to pull up to the pump and fill up for under $25 (and go farther) while the Hummers and Yukons pays $60 or more.

Get this: If you fill your Hummer H2 at today's price with Premium at $3.25 a gallon in Bridgeport, CA you will pay:

$104

Downright scary. That's a Ben Franklin AND a Starbucks!

Not for me. Yes, I will still own my Trooper, but I will drive it only when I really need to/ want to. For hauling, towing, road trips, really bad weather, etc.

I predict the SUV craze will die a very, very quick death by next summer. (When it sinks in that these high gas prices aren't temporary). The next vehicle that stands out on the road will have big batteries and smug drivers.

Nate

omegavx
05/13/2004, 07:56 AM
Prius: Your going by what cars.com or some other source says. I'm going by what the sales man told me while at the actual dealership. 48 city 40 highway. Not sure which one is correct. As for availablility, according to the sales guy they arn't even taking orders because it is on a 6 month to 12 month backorder. Who knows, maybe I had a sales guy that didn't know what he was talking about. Like that would be a first :)

nater
05/13/2004, 09:18 AM
OmegaVX: On miles per gallon for the Prius I'm going by what people on the priuschat.com website have been posting as their real world experience. For the Trooper, I'm going by what my real-world experience is with my 2000 Trooper. For my Buell, I'm going by real-world as well.

Trooper: EPA Rated 15 City, 19 Hwy. I'm getting: 15 overall.
Buell: EPA Rated 48 City, 65 Hwy. I'm getting: 45 overall.
Prius: EPA Rated 60 City, 52 Hwy. I'm expecting: 48 overall.

Again, some folks with their Prii (plural of Prius) are actually beating EPA from time to time; but they drive like little old ladies. I like power, and the electric motor delivers, but at the expense of some of the efficiency. I also like to run the air conditioning, ordered the rear wiper (adds drag) ordered side airbags (adds weight), I weigh 245 lbs (added weight) and will frequently drive with the windows down, all factors that contribute to less than optimum. Still, beating my bike in MPG's in a powerful mid-size car that rides well and crashes well will be way cool.

Nate

t2p
05/13/2004, 10:54 AM
Nater:
I know what you mean - as far as the fit of Shoei and (especially) Aria helmets. HJC, KBC, AGV ? ....... Bieffe ? ...... all appear to make some decent helmets now. Not sure which ones may fit you the best though. Years ago, you were basically limited to Shoei and Arai ....... and almost forgot ..... Bell.
I'm not so sure the SUV craze will come to a screeching halt .... although the huge SUV sales should take a significant hit. The small SUV sales may actually increase. It is ironic - that just a year or so ago - that many magazines would comment on the new (2002) Honda CRV: It still has a 4 (cylinder engine) ..... but meanwhile, the CRV runs as good or better than many sixes .... scoots to 60 in the low 8's and gets over 20 mpg.

Bantan
05/13/2004, 11:08 AM
Anyone seen this E-mail circulating around:

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL
COMPANIES.

THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED "STICK IT TO THEM" DAY AND THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE THAT DAY.

THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT. WAITING ON THIS ADMIINSTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO?

REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO! WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.

SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

I have no affiliation, just passing on the info.

nater
05/13/2004, 11:18 AM
t2p, yeah, let me clarify, IMHO, a CR-V is a "tall wagon", like a Rav-4 or Ford Escape: no frame, 4cyl/ FWD available. A Lexus RX300 or Acura MDX is really more like a minivan, still a transverse mount engine, AWD typical instead of 4wd, independent suspension in the rear.

An SUV to me is anything that sits high, body-on-frame: truck style, and has seats where the bed would be. This includes 4runners, jeep liberty and wrangler, Troopers, Yukons, TrailBlazers, Explorers, etc. (I guess I'll throw in the Grand Cherokee as well, even though it is unique). It would also have a longitude mount engine and a solid rear axle.

A VX? In a class by itself. ;-)

Nate

t2p
05/13/2004, 11:44 AM
Nater:

Got ya - and (for the most part) I agree. Although, I would take my wife's CRV or a Sube Forester off road before a new (current gen) Ford Explorer or Trailblazer. Those two are especially poor off road - worst than most of the little 'almost' SUV's.
In addition to the big SUV sales, light truck sales may even take a hit. ???
Even before the price at the pumps increased, the availability of true body-on-frame SUV's has been dropping .......... although, I was surprised to learn the next gen Pathfinder will now be body-on-frame ...... (but with independant rear suspension - similar to the Ford Explorer).
It appears many (most ?) people would be better served with a mini suv .... cute yute ....soft roader ...... whatever - rather than a true SUV.
btw: I'm pretty sure the Liberty has a unitized body .... no full frame .....
btw2: I am jealous - 6800 rpm reddline ! ........ I'm riding a bike with a 14,000 rpm 'deadline' (tach goes to 16) ...... your bike (and Joe Yamma's) probably has more hp at idle than it does at 9000 rpm ..... 9000 rpm - that is where I keep it when putting around town ....

t2p
05/13/2004, 11:49 AM
JB:
Kaw pulled out the stops with the Z1. The Z1 was a great one. One of the bikes that 'wrote history' - one of - maybe the first - of the true 'super bikes'.

Although I was a off road rider, I can still remember the introduction of the Z1 ...... it was the 'crown jewel' ..... after the 500 and 750 two stroke triples ..........