PDA

View Full Version : Got a new "rim"

jayfotos
05/06/2004, 10:54 AM
Yes, after bickering on the phone with the local Isuzu rep.....he caved.

Recap: I brought my truck into the dealer to get the headlights replaced(covered under warentee). I pointed out the rim to my survice rep, he said he called Isuzu and said I was not covered for that. I called Isuzu and said I was covered. Brought my truck in to get the headlights fixed again(got wrong part) at the same time a Isuzu rep was there to inspect the rim. He checked it out and said no dice. Came home, called Isuzu, came here to do some research, got my ducks lined up and called the Rep.....

first, telling me he's sorry because the rims were made poorly and that I was stuck with them. I told him I can't except that, "Your telling me you put on a faulty product and you wont replace it?", "I have a list of other Vx'ers that had the same problem and had them replaced, second owners and more miles!" after about 10 mins of a polight tug-of-war, he caved and replaced the one rim with noticable flaking.

It was cool having the list of people and dealers(from another thread) and reading it off to him. He just kept sling'n bullcrap and I kept coming back with "FACTS" that stopped him dead in his tracks!

Thank you everyone!

Vehicross.info helps another VXer!

Jay Fotos

t2p
05/06/2004, 11:23 AM
My rims are bad - especially one that is very bad .......
but I wonder if it is worth it (to attempt to get replacements) - especially if the replacements will also suffer from the same problems ........
???

I may end up getting mine blasted ..... bead .... media blasted ....or something .......

AlaskaVX
05/06/2004, 11:29 AM
Well I have to say it was definateley worth it, the new ones were just sooo new and shiney! Its worth a try!

jayfotos
05/06/2004, 11:43 AM
One of his lines was, "Well, why would you want to put another one on if the same thing is going to happen?"

I said. "Well, after the years of people replacing them you(Isuzu) did'nt contact the crome people and have the problem fixed.....I'll take my chances with some new ones, thanks."

WormGod
05/06/2004, 12:45 PM
Yep, I have to say, if you can collect some duckets for new aftermarket rims, do so.

I bought my 2001 new with 24 miles on it. Before I even hit the 1000 mile mark on the odometer, they were ALL already starting to peel. Not flake, but PEEL. And bad. The inside and outside of the rims. And these are wheels that had never seen a winter even. I had my VX shipped from San Diego to DC in a May, so the only real element to affect them was sun and rain.

In a nutshell, the stock rims look good, but the chroming sucks. I guess you could always find a machine shop that can snadblast 'em and chrome them if you are dead set on staying with the stock wheels. *shrug*

t2p
05/06/2004, 01:41 PM
appears I may have to insert a few more quarters in the piggy bank every day .....
because rechroming the OEM wheels would probably cost an arm-and-a-leg .....
one local chrome shop wanted a small fortune to rechrome a simple air cleaner lid ......
I actually like the OEM wheels .... so ......blast - or maybe blast and clear coat may be an option ...

MZ-N10
05/06/2004, 11:10 PM
tats wat u guys get for them fancy 18":D
________
Property For Sale Pattaya Thailand (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

t2p
05/07/2004, 06:26 AM
.... and you have a point there ........
one of the reasons I preferred the 00 and 01 was the 18" wheels ...... and they are a pain in the #@!!% ........

azskyrider
05/07/2004, 07:22 AM
Fotos- that is great. It is always good to have a board like this and have the facts in the row.

Kudos..... By chance it might be a good idea to post his name. Since he is an Isuzu rep then I am sure it is not "Secret". This can help other owners in the future.

2K1 1K2
05/08/2004, 03:22 PM
hello, all. while this topic is up...

question - suppose i had a set of chrome rims which i wanted to paint gunmetal grey, black etc. what process is needed? blasting of sorts?. where does one take this to be done. not familiar with the process(es) involved. i would imagine it take more than handsanding. any idea what the cost factor is on that. i've thought about buying a set and having that done for the fall/winter here in chicago. some of you may know, by my previous post, that mine were completely replaced by my dealer. however, i dread thinking that the newer ones will eventually wear the same way. thanks all for any and all info re: this.

-jose

Triathlete
05/08/2004, 05:27 PM
Your best bet would be to have them powder coated. Any shop that does this will be able to prep the wheels and do the complete job. I don't know about the cost. I always said if my wheels flaked or peeled I'd have them powder coated black. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I have a 99 and the 16's haven't been prone to the 18's problems.

Dallas4u
05/09/2004, 07:12 AM
The 16's are just polished... the 18's are chromed. There is nothing to flake off of the 16's so we (16" owners) shouldn't have anything to worry about.

2K1 1K2
05/13/2004, 09:01 PM
thanks for your reply, Triathlete.

-jose