PDA

View Full Version : Concept cars SUCK!!

VCAMILO
05/05/2004, 06:38 PM
How come Concept cars never look they are first sold to the public? Im tierd of that SH_T!!!! CONCEPT CAR (http://www.carpages.co.uk/seat/seat_altea_prototipo_19_08_03.asp?switched=on&echo=597585380) & CAR BEING SOLD (http://www.carpages.co.uk/seat/seat_altea_03_02_04.asp) Blah Blah Blah! Same old regular cars... I know its from a new Audi base Co. created in 2002 but... ARG! :rolleyes: I think that the VX has been the only Vehicle that looks better in Production than in Concept.

azskyrider
05/05/2004, 08:23 PM
The drawing design must go to the Engineering department where they will review the design and the components that will go into that vehicle. Sometimes Architects can not forsee design flaws that can stress or cause problems. That is were the engineers come into play to make it happen. The design then needs to find a compromise between looks and what is easily available on the shelf. More sharing of parts the cheaper the vehicle. If parts need to be custom made then the price has to go up and possibly not in line to what the consumer is willing to pay . During testing engineers might find handling characterists from the original design and must then change them. The prototype then morphs into this compromise. The last move is the public reaction. In most cases the OEMS will ease the design in multiple models to see the publics reaction and incorporate it to the consumer more gradually. Hence the Avalanche look into other GM product lines, Cadillac, BMW, Viper into the Chrysler line and the list goes on.

To me the hardest part is working with designers. You can tell them that it might look good on paper or model but the budget or physics is just not functionable and not profitable. Designers might find it easy to just click here or erase and draw there but for the engineer it is not as simple as that.

Of course if money was no object then all is possible but most times than not the engineering group has a budget and time frame to work within. If you miss those two items then you can miss "entry into the market" and lose first market share.

The F117 was thought among pilots not to be flyable. But with enough money and if the technology exist then it is possible. Sometimes the technology does not exist and the engineer must wait. Hence the B2 bomber which is why the Flying wing was torn down and scrapped until the time was right.

So.... It is people like you that deserves the :thumbup: because of your input we make the changes and you buy the products. It is people like you that keeps us employed.:D

Leah
05/05/2004, 08:28 PM
I think that has to be one of the best answers to any question I've ever heard. The explanation was clear, you hit all the high points without beating us over the head with technicalities, which you could easily have done...after all, to me, pounds-feet of torque is too technical.

Best answer ever!

WormGod
05/05/2004, 08:47 PM
The new Mustang is taking that same "raped on the production line" torture. The concept I saw of it was almost enough to cause me to trade in my VX.... but after seeing the ACTUAL production model, it was dumbed down quite a bit. Ah well.

SGT.BATGUANO
05/05/2004, 09:14 PM
What I'm really tired of seeing on concept cars is the chopped roofline, almost all prototypes have it and it never makes it to production. Can't they just let go of it? Jeez (no blasphemy intended):confused:

nocturnalVX
05/05/2004, 09:22 PM
Maybe it's just me, but those two pictures look exactly the same (except for the wheels). I don't care for the styling on that, but I do hope this makes it to the street intact...
http://www.fast-autos.net/mitsubishi/concepte.jpg

I was told, at the last auto show here in Chicago, that the side exhaust might not make the cut, but everything else would. We'll see...

coachreed
05/06/2004, 04:09 AM
I'm with Nocturnal... I thought the two cars looked identical EXCEPT the wheels... I clicked back and forth for five minutes just looking... yeah, some of the concepts look awsome but then get boring by production... but azskyrider put it very well... and correct I think too. OH, and I agree if the concept (is that an Eclipse?) makes it to production looking like that, it might be my next car, but NOT a replacement for the VX.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

Dallas4u
05/06/2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by VCAMILO
Concept cars SUCK!!

Well, maybe you should change your subject line to "The production version of the concept cars suck"... I think that's what you were trying to say. The concept is what gets your tent pitched, and the production side is the thought of granny and grampy having a romantic night together... ehhhh, right?

Anyway, what azskyrider said.

By the way, that is the new concept of the Eclipse, and I have heard varying things about what will and what won't make it on the design. I'm sure it will look pretty similar on the outside at least... we will see!

Heraclid
05/06/2004, 01:47 PM
azskyrider, interesting point about the F-117A, which is often inappropriately called a stealth "fighter". It is a bomber with a subsonic top speed, so it's hardly a traditional fighter aircraft. It's probably about as fast as the 747 you can hop on at the airport. And like you said, the pilots call it the "Wobbly Goblin" for a reason, and would be unflyable without today's fly-by-wire technology. And yep, the flying wing design was dreamt up by the Germans (Messerschmitt, I think) during WWII.

I was watching a show a few days back about the top 10 automobiles in history, and it was really silly. It had the Hummer in there, for one thing. But one of the others was the VW Beetle, and they said that Hitler is said to have sketched out the design himself on a napkin. If that is truly the case, wow... talk about having to overcome bad press to sell vehicles! That said, I've really got my eye on the new VW Concept T. Now THAT looks interesting, and if it made it to production intact... oh yeaaaaaah.

t2p
05/06/2004, 02:45 PM
Well .......
The F117A is not the fastest fighter around - not in the league of the faster fighters (F14, 15, etc) ..... but it is still a fighter ......
I don't believe it can carry enough ammo (armament ?) or has the range to be considered a bomber .....
(I'm certainly not an expert in this area - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn one night)
The A10 ... (one of my faves) ...... Thunderbolt/Warthog ... whatever ..... is a considered a fighter - and it can not fly at supersonic speeds ....

azskyrider
05/06/2004, 03:33 PM
The F117 in flight architecture is very different than the A10. F117 try's to avoid radar signature but its Aerodynamics hold it back as well as trying to hide the engines heat signature. Imagine running with an umbrella in your hand. You push hard in order to stay at a certain pace.

The A10 aerodynamics was made to fly SLOW...... So the wings are straight instead of swept back and flat which produces a lot of radar signature but allows the plane to fly like a glidder. The reason for this is so that it can more acurately position its target and do damage in one run compared to a fighter in multiple runs. Place reading material like a book on the ground and walk by it. You will read more words walking at a slow pace than running. Now imagine trying to shoot multiple targets. You will do more damage and hit more targets on one run than an F16 in 5 runs.

HERCULES ;)

The best pilots in the world in my opinion are the U2 Pilots. They don't call that plane a coffin for nothing. It is like running on ice with oil slick boots for hours trying not to fall and keeping attention to your instruments. Second in my opinion is the Harrier. Landing a Harrier is like a balancing act. Better be no mistakes.

Cheers,

mrtew
05/06/2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by t2p
The F117A is not the fastest fighter around - not in the league of the faster fighters (F14, 15, etc) ..... but it is still a fighter ......
I don't believe it can carry enough ammo (armament ?) or has the range to be considered a bomber .....

Well it's not fighter at all. The ONLY thing it ever carries are two identical bombs that hit one target 2 seconds apart. It flys in and takes out one target and leaves. It has nothing to fight with whatsoever so it is definitely a bomber... where the name Stealth Fighter came from I have no idea.

azskyrider
05/06/2004, 03:52 PM
My vote:

F117 Stealth fighter: VX
B2 Stealth Bomber: H1
BlackBird SR-71: McLaren F1
B747or A340: Excursion
;pb;

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/06/2004, 08:03 PM
in a variation of the theme on "Concept cars":

I am really tired of getting excited over the revelation of a Concept and how much it may make it into production....only to have the production model cancelled!

1) Dodge T-REX (6-wheel drive Ram)
2) Toyota RSC (Rally inspired RAV-4 based sport coupe)
3) Isuzu VX-02 (VX convertible)

tomcat837
05/06/2004, 09:52 PM
The F-117 is a Fighter/Bomber, can perform both roles, depending on its current mission parameters.

The A-10 is design for Close Air Support... A-10 = Tank Buster. Its main mission is to defend Troops from heavy artillery and tank fire.

Now for my absolute favorite, F-14 Tomcat. This old bird can carry the deadly Phoenix missile, the combination of this supersonic jet, (top speed recorded at Mach 2.4), and missile makes for one of the deadliest weapons in our inventory, even after 30 years. The Tomcat can effectively target up to six targets simultaneously at range of up to 100 miles, with an average rate of success of 80 to 100 percent.

Another awesome bird is the F-15 Eagle, the only Fighter/Bomber that can accelarate on a vertical climb. I have more of this facts in my head but can't share them all, since some of the info is still classified. Just ask!

CYA!

t2p
05/07/2004, 06:22 AM
apples and oranges ...... yes - I realize the F117A and A10 are night-and-day ...... I just wanted to illustrate the fact (using the A10) that subsonic speed does not disqualify an aircraft from the label of 'fighter' .....
fighter/bomber ...... but I did not realize the F117A 'only' carries two bombs ....... that is interesting .......
as for best pilots - there probably is no 'best' pilot ..... a few documentaries I have seen *generally* give the most respect to Navy pilots based on aircraft carriers - because of the simple fact that they must take off and land from a carrier - while it is moving ...... and a good portion of the time at night ..........

azskyrider
05/07/2004, 07:46 AM
t2p- my post was not meant to be a reply to your post.My point is like examining Mazda's Rotory engine and a regular piston engine. TWO very different engines that produce the same end result .

I wrote it to distinguish the different designs or architecture of both planes even though they both reach subsonic. I love flying, it is also part of my job, and both planes are truly my favorite.
So I wanted to share my passion and limited maybe not so worthy knowledge with the masses. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

Cheers,

VCAMILO
05/07/2004, 12:12 PM
nah! I like my title... Concept cars SUCK!! ;Db;

I hate not beig able to get a 100% cool looking concept production model car. So, with that all Concept cars SUCK! I dont even care much for "Autoshows" because we will never get those cars and the cars there we can check out @ the dealers anyways... So yup! they still suck! ;Dr;

Triathlete
05/07/2004, 12:36 PM
As far as bombers are concerned the A6E was by far the best thing out there in its size catagory. Now they all sit in the "boneyard" here in Tucson mothballed. As our calling cards said "Let us intrude on your behalf....up to 8 1/2 tons of fire and steel delivered on, time on target-land or sea-in any weather...free estimates"!:bomb:
If only the A6F would have ever came to light before the military budget got axed!