PDA

View Full Version : Something is rattling...

shoota77
05/05/2004, 07:38 AM
...inside my driver door. It's a problem with the window. I was driving along, nice sunny day, decide to put the window down...BAM! Big crash, window slides way down and forward, pushing the button does nothing. Slide the window back into place with my hands continue on. If I shake the door i can hear something moving around. Now, the dealership replaced the motor under warranty about 5 months ago. I'm no longer under warranty, should i go back and complain they gave me a defective motor (they really suck as a dealer, surprise) or should i go to a local garage? What a way to start off finals week! :mad:

coachreed
05/05/2004, 08:43 AM
A couple questions... are you mechanically inclined at all? Do you have a basic set of tools (ie screwdrivers, wrenches)? Do you have a couple hours you can spare? If the answer to the above questions are YES, YES and YES, I'd say take a look at it yourself before you pay someone else. The worse you can do is lose a couple hours of your day, the best case is you can save yourself a couple hundred bucks. It sounds like your window has come off track. If I'm not mistaken, the track bolts into the door in just a couple spots and I have also heard that the tracks are pretty flimsey... I would pull the door panel and then carefully remove the vapor barrier and take a look in side. See that the window is on track and whether or not a bolt has come loose or if a track has broken. If no tracks or mounting points are broken, make sure the window is on track. Adjust the track so that the window is securely guided but not too tight, and go ahead and put some kind of silicone spray into the track where the window rides. Plug your window controls back in and give it a test run. If your concerned about a rattles, go ahead and either give the door a couple good shakes or even take it for a road test with the panel off. When your happy with the results, go ahead and put the vapor barrier back in place, put the door panel back on and call it a day. If you can't figure out the problem, THEN you can take it to a shop. Now, with that being said, if you see somthing that you REALLY believe was caused by the dealer I would go back to them. If not, then find a mechanic you know or someone you really trust knows... and go there. Good luck and let us know what comes of this problem.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

AREA 51
05/05/2004, 09:51 AM
You may have broken one of the window mounts that are epoxied? to the window. If that's the case you need a new window. Somewhere around $200:(