PDA

View Full Version : BRAKE Light on while driving

tomcat837
05/04/2004, 05:34 AM
I have a new thing... the break light coming on while driving. Any thoughts?

Julio

deermagnet
05/04/2004, 08:31 AM
Some of us have had the brake warning light on the dash come on because the brake fluid was down at the minimum level. Check your brake fluid and add the correct fluid if needed. My brake warning light never came on again.

AREA 51
05/04/2004, 10:12 AM
How many miles on your brakes?

tomcat837
05/04/2004, 12:06 PM
36k, still look and feel good!

nater
05/04/2004, 12:40 PM
You may not want to add very much fluid. There are only two places it can go:

1. Leak
2. Pads wear->piston out further->fluid fills space behind piston

If you have a leak, by all means, fix it today.

If everything seems fine but the light is on (and the fluid is indeed low), it's probably time for pads. (Check ALL of them). If it's not, it will be soon, and when you push the brake piston back in, the fluid will go back up to the reservoir. If you added fluid to it when it was low, it will now be overfull and spill all over the engine compartment. Brake fluid eats paint in a matter of minutes, and is generally not very nice to wiring, hoses, etc. Save yourself the hassle. Change your pads instead of adding fluid.

Nate

tomcat837
05/04/2004, 12:54 PM
Very cool tip, I'll re-check!

coachreed
05/05/2004, 06:30 PM
Yeah, what Nater said... if your fluid is low AND your not leaking anywhere... then its time for a brake job. The quick lube places used to top that off with their oil changes but they stopped because of the fact that it is indeed a sign of brake ware. Pull the a wheel or two and check the outer AND inner pad for ware... you won't be sorry.

TTYL!

Coach... I mean Randy (I often forget who I really am) ;)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/406banner.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/ironmanvx2000)
Undergoing LS1 Conversion as we speak!
Click Image to Visit My Website!

tomcat837
06/17/2004, 12:04 PM
I wish there was something I could tell you. I checked the pads once more and the fluid. Everything looked just fine. but I added some fluid anyway. It was full but not just to the line. Anyway, it all stopped as sudden as it started.

CYA

t2p
06/17/2004, 12:13 PM
hmmm ......
does this light illuminate when the parking brake is applied ? .......
if so, maybe the parking brake switch ..... sending unit ........ whatever ........ is faulty and causing this ........

tomcat837
06/17/2004, 01:10 PM
It does... everything is back to normal now.

Thank you,

Julio