PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof Any Last Words ?

Andrey
04/30/2004, 03:06 PM
Well, after having my VX for 4 years I've decided to install sunroof. Most likely it will be Hollandia 743 (former 730) Any last suggestions from current users will be GREATLY appreciated. Have anybody had luck with larger 743.5 (former 735) or 744 (former 740) ?
I was quoted $950 install in New Hempshire. Did anybody from NE had good experience with any install shop ?

Many thanks and stay tuned for nice pictures some time next week... hopefully :)

johnnyapollo
04/30/2004, 03:10 PM
Had mine done in Atlanta for $940 - great mod. Mine was the "43" (now the 743 I guess) as well. It'll be difficult to put something bigger in there as the roof rails limit the opening. I think dyanni put a different size in his - you may want to PM him.

-- Best, John

UtahVXer
04/30/2004, 07:22 PM
I was told that a 743 would reduce head room by more than 3 inches so I opted for a Hollandia 300M (spoiler style). It opens without hitting the rack. Still reduces head room a bit.

DaPenetrator
04/30/2004, 08:32 PM
I wanna get the sunroof mod as well. Anyone know any good deals and installers in the DC Metro area?

DC/MD/VA VX'ers that have sunroofs already, speak up!

Andrey
05/01/2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by UtahVXer
I was told that a 743 would reduce head room by more than 3 inches so I opted for a Hollandia 300M (spoiler style). It opens without hitting the rack. Still reduces head room a bit.

So, UtahVXer what do you think about spoiler type sunroof ? Does it make additional noise ? I've read somewhere that people add external wind deflector. Hollandia has a "build-in" wind deflector.

johnnyapollo
05/01/2004, 10:41 AM
I think I only lost about 2 inches of head room with the sunroof. To put this in perspective, my friend BigMike put the same sunroof in his VX and he's 6'2" - he told me it didn't affect his head room at all. Seems that when you're taller, you sit back further to accomidate reach and leg lenth, so the loss didn't make any difference to him.

The Hollandia does have a retracting deflector, but this does not help out with issues of back pressure when the windows are closed. You get this whap-whap ear-popping pressure at speed when the sunroof is open and the windows are closed. The external, smoke-clear plastic add-on deflector solves this problem. It does reduce the amount of actuall sky you see when you look up, but the open air feel is the same. If you can't get this thrown into the deal with the sunroof, it's cheaper to purchase on eBay (about $30 - most shops want double that).

I would think that you would experience the same pressure issue with the external sunroof (though I could be wrong), which would still be fixed with the use of an external deflector.

-- Best, John

Andrey
05/01/2004, 10:52 AM
John, thanks a ton for your input ! So do they glue external wind deflector to the roof ?

Tone
05/01/2004, 11:40 AM
Spoiler Hollandia roof I have does NOT exhibit that noise at ANY speed up to 115MPH. The pop up deflector does do an incredible job for it’s size and maybe the outside plastic deflector would help that noise that I’ve heard before in the cheaper removeable panel roofs.

johnnyapollo
05/01/2004, 01:03 PM
Wind deflector clips on using two spring-metal clips, that attach with two black bolts through holes in the deflector.

When I say whap-whap, I'm not describing wind noise at all, rather a middle-ear back pressure from the draft effect from having the opening on top at speed. Seems to cause negative pressure, drawing air out of the VX and into the opening. I used to get the same effect from my 4Runner when only the side front windows were opened. By cracking the back window in the 4Runner, the back pressure was relieved. My girlfriend's new Highlander has the same issue so I don't believe it is uncommon.

If those types of pressure changes don't bother you, then you can forego the external (add-on) deflector. It could be the very high humidity in Atlanta that makes it more noticable.

-- Best, John

Andrey
05/01/2004, 01:37 PM
John, I would definitely notice unpleasant change in preassure (like in airplane changing altitude)... so basically I will try to talk shop into including external deflector as a part of a deal.

Tone, I thought your sunroof is internal (not external, spoiler like)

Andrey

Tone
05/01/2004, 01:40 PM
Spoiker and I know the noise you are talking about and the 5 vx roofs I know don’t ever have it at ANY speed, windows up, down, or any combo.

Daver
05/01/2004, 02:28 PM
I have the Webasto/Hollandia 742, and I really miss the headroom. I'm only 5'10", too.

Not much choice with the rack I have, but still sux.

Just some OT FYI, this morning I was installing a Bluetooth kit in my BMW and I noticed it has a Webasto sunroof also. Can't go wrong with them I guess.

-Daver

Andrey
05/01/2004, 08:12 PM
now I am worried, I am 6'2".. so should I recline seats more ? :)

UtahVXer
05/01/2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Andrey
So, UtahVXer what do you think about spoiler type sunroof ? Does it make additional noise ? I've read somewhere that people add external wind deflector. Hollandia has a "build-in" wind deflector.

I have a bit of noise, but I believe it is from the rack rather than the sunroof. Think I'll remove the cross bars, since I don't use it much. The 300M is considerably smaller than the 743; but it is the largest size Holandia-Webasto recommends for the VX. The installer told me they could put a larger one in, but that it would "reduce the structural integrity of the roof". I didn't want to take any chances; and didn't want to lose any more head room. I am only 5'8" and I can't imagine how you taller guys fit. It works great; well worth the dough to let a little air and sun in. I haven't figured out how to leave it open when parked though, closes automatically when the key is removed. I also think they messed up the overhead dome light during the installation, since the push-on switch only works intermittently now.

DaPenetrator
05/01/2004, 10:29 PM
Still no ideas, sugguestions, or recommendations for a retailer/installer in the DC Metro area?

Come on guys... Help Me Out!

Andrey
05/02/2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by DaPenetrator
Still no ideas, sugguestions, or recommendations for a retailer/installer in the DC Metro area?

Come on guys... Help Me Out!

its easy go on webasto website and check out installers in your area... then start calling and compare prices... dealer price (called wholesale) will be 100-300 cheaper then "walk-in" (your) price.

johnnyapollo
05/02/2004, 05:21 AM
Hey Utah,

To get it to stay open, right when you kill the ignition it will beep once and start closing. If you press the open button once it will remain open.

When they moved the dome light on mine it now takes more force to get it to work by pressing it - it still works fine when the doors are opened for me. Since I rarely press it for light it hasn't bugged my too much. I don't believe it's a wiring thing, but rather a product of where it now mounts.

-- Best, John

Andrey
05/02/2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by UtahVXer
I have a bit of noise, but I believe it is from the rack rather than the sunroof. Think I'll remove the cross bars, since I don't use it much. The 300M is considerably smaller than the 743; but it is the largest size Holandia-Webasto recommends for the VX. The installer told me they could put a larger one in, but that it would "reduce the structural integrity of the roof". I didn't want to take any chances; and didn't want to lose any more head room. I am only 5'8" and I can't imagine how you taller guys fit. It works great; well worth the dough to let a little air and sun in. I haven't figured out how to leave it open when parked though, closes automatically when the key is removed. I also think they messed up the overhead dome light during the installation, since the push-on switch only works intermittently now.

yeah, I was told about structural integrity too but Tones argument about "sunroof cage effect" makes perfect engineering sence to me. By installing sunroof you are actually increasing the strength of the construction.

DaPenetrator
05/02/2004, 06:45 AM
Andrey, I noticed on their website after I'd sent that message that they had a listing of local retailers/installers by state.

Thanks for the tip about asking for wholesale pricing as oppose to retail pricing though. I would not have thought of that and it will give you a great bargining edge when notigating a better price; when or if you can't get the dealer call for you.

I'll start my search tomorrow ;py;

Panther_Black_VX
05/02/2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by johnnyapollo
Hey Utah,

To get it to stay open, right when you kill the ignition it will beep once and start closing. If you press the open button once it will remain open.

When they moved the dome light on mine it now takes more force to get it to work by pressing it - it still works fine when the doors are opened for me. Since I rarely press it for light it hasn't bugged my too much. I don't believe it's a wiring thing, but rather a product of where it now mounts.

-- Best, John

Wow, I never knew this stuff John. Thanks! I can't tell you how many times I wished I could keep the sunroof open with the car off... With summer coming around, it's good to now know how...

And the dome light is a little stiff..

WormGod
05/02/2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by DaPenetrator
I wanna get the sunroof mod as well. Anyone know any good deals and installers in the DC Metro area?

DC/MD/VA VX'ers that have sunroofs already, speak up!

I always had cars with either t-tops or sunroofs here in the mid-atlantic, and with every single one of them, had major problems. I would LOVE to have a sunroof installed in my VX, but with my history of sunroofs here, I wont. Blame it on the weather or what you will, but they ALL leaked. I would have to have the weather stripping replaced in them every year to stop the leaks. One was aftermarket and the others were factory.

I guess living in an area with an ACTUAL 4 seasons a year, the weather stripping for a sunroof is just not a happy happy joy joy situation. Just call it my luck, but I just thought I would share my experiences on it. :)

Andrey
05/04/2004, 10:58 AM
well, got $950 deal from Revere (incl. external wind deflector).... will take it there on Wednesday..... wish me luck :)

DaPenetrator
05/04/2004, 11:39 AM
Hey Worm, thanks for the feedback. I had a factory sunroof in the Navi and never had any problems (here in the area or when I was in NC). But I did have a convertible Eclipse that would leak at the fall of a single raindrop. I'd like to have the sunroof mod, but I think I'll research it a bit more before making a final decision. Besides, other mods are taking all my extra cash flow right now :rolleyes:

BTW, can't wait to meet and hang out with you guys this weekend. C'ya then.

Andrey
05/06/2004, 07:39 PM
So, it is DONE :thumbup:
I did not open it up yet as installer suggested to let it dry for a day or so. Hollandia 743 (former 730) is the only one fitting in there. It goes from one rail to another on the roof. Will post pictures over the weekend.

ME HAPPY !

BBVX
05/07/2004, 03:16 PM
Congrats, Andrey!

Can't wait to see it!!

Brian

Andrey
05/07/2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks Brian,

It is an awesome mod - spring time and you see blue sky and birds and sunshine .... cool ! Defenitely needs external wind deflector - with speed the negative pressure builds up and creates turbulence like feel (kind of hard to reproduce)... the installer was out of correct size... should have some next week.

Doc4h
05/09/2004, 10:21 AM
So whats the final word on head room you being 6'2" and all? I ask because I'm 6'4" and keep toying with the idea of getting one installed myself.

Andrey
05/09/2004, 11:00 AM
well doc, I guess there is a slight loss of headroom but I just reclined my seat a bit and it is comfortable. The benefit of pleasure outwages the slight inconvenience. The negative preassure sound appears to be only at 30 mph, on all other speeds up to 80 so far there is nothing. You can talk, listen to music etc.

Andrey
05/10/2004, 03:40 PM
Please check out some pictures of Hollandia 743 in my gallery

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3818&papass=&sort=4

Nothing larger will fit on VX as it pretty much goes from one rail on the roof to another one. I am very happy with mod - a bit expencive but pleasure of open air overcomes the monetary concerns. Too bad I was scared to do this 4 years ago :)

Cyrk
05/11/2004, 08:15 AM
Andrey looks good I will be adding one to my VX soon...
-Dave

carlymac
05/11/2004, 11:36 AM
Looks Great Audrey,
Do you or any body else know if the spoiler type sunroof can be used with a yakima loadwarrior? I would think if the raised glass dosn't interfere with the crossbars it shouldn't interfere with a basket rack mounted on top of the crossbars. Unless the glass rests aganst the bottom of the front crossbar where the locking bracket for the basket hangs below the crossbar. Oh...and can the factory headliner be used with the spolier type sunroof being as the glass goes outside and back rather than inside and back?

Andrey
05/12/2004, 10:15 AM
PM Tone, I believe he has spoiler type sunroof.

Daver
05/12/2004, 06:16 PM
It won't work. As it is with my slide-in I have very little clearance between my roof and the basket brackets when the roof is up in spoiler position. No way I could slide it back.

If you wanted to have custom basket brakets fabricated out of thinner sheet metal I could see it working out for ya, but not with the standard brackets that come with the LoadWarrior.

Another alternative is a rack with taller towers to lift the basket higher. Not really an option for me as I put my spare up there and the CG is high enough already.

-Daver