PDA

View Full Version : fuel injector cleaner

UtahVXer
04/29/2004, 07:29 PM
One guy told me he runs a bottle of fuel injector cleaner thru his tank every 10K miles. What do you guys think? Big waste of money?

Triathlete
04/29/2004, 08:19 PM
I just recently started using Lucas Racing Oils fuel injector cleaner. They reccomend a bottle (about $4 at the auto parts store) in a tank of gas every 3-4 thousand miles. So basically when you change your oil. It also contains a top end lube for the valve train. It might all be in my head but the engine sounds smoother/quieter after and I also noticed a 10-15 mile per tank increase! :thumbup: ;Dy;

volume311
04/29/2004, 09:07 PM
How would something that goes in your gas tank lubericate the valve train? :confused:

Maverick
04/30/2004, 06:58 AM
i use Techron in all my vehicles, couple of times a year... expensive , but good stuff.. especially usefull if you get some low grade gas on occasion...

Triathlete
04/30/2004, 08:56 AM
311...its AMFM!;eeky; http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/images/smiles/evil3.gif

xdfarrx
04/30/2004, 09:45 PM
The head tech who works on my car allowed me to view the process of injection cleaners. He basically pulled vacuum lines from the Throttle body and sprayed it into the lines. Doing this sent the car into a near stall, he would spray as or as much so the car would maintain running. We did a diagniostic before and after and the sine wave reading was cleaner after. Pretty basic stuff considering some people use crazy machines and hook ups. He said that what he was doing was a spec injector cleaning and he did it for free.... cool. My end point here is that I believe any one of you could do this yourselves. Maybe Joe_Black or Tone could chime in onto what lines to do this. Some might think this is lame maybe but my car runs really well.

SGT.BATGUANO
05/01/2004, 08:46 AM
Real injector cleaning is done in an ultrasonic tank. The next best thing is a kit with a can of cleaner with a tube that screws to the fuel rail and plugs the factory fuel line.

kpaske
12/18/2004, 04:03 PM
I just bought a bottle of Lucas Racing Oil's injector cleaner to try out. On my next tank of gas I'll post my observations.

But I'm wondering - since the last time I cleaned my injectors was like, Never, is this going to be sufficient, or will I need to get a more thorough cleaning professionally? Does anyone know of a DIY method that works well (like xdfarrx mentioned)? Sgt Batguano - can you explain that method of yours a bit more thoroughly, like step by step? I've never seen a kit like that before.

Does anyone know anything about Sea Foam (http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm)?

Heraclid
12/18/2004, 04:28 PM
I run fuel injector cleaner through mine regularly - actually a bit more often than just every oil change. I can't say I've noticed any changes that seem to be a direct result of it, but I haven't had any problems either, and for a couple of bucks every time, I figure why not. I do get better fuel economy than I used to (Joe will remember how fast I was going through it to and from Uwharrie). I'm not sure what to attribute that to, though. Maybe all I had was a temporary gas gauge glitch (sometimes it still reads lower than it should and then goes back up - on level ground too, I might add), or it could be the PCV replacement I did, or the change to a K&N filter, or fuel filter replacement, or fuel injector cleaner. Probably a bit of all of that.

Joe_Black
12/18/2004, 06:28 PM
Never, ever used the stuff. If the injector needs to be cleaned then it needs to be removed and serviced. Plain and simple. And if you're going to do that you may as well have them balanced and blue-printed.

RC Fuel Injection Services (http://www.rceng.com/service.htm)

kpaske
12/18/2004, 06:48 PM
Joe -

How often do you suggest this should be done? And is there not anything you recommend doing to keep the injectors clean?

There is a company up near Seattle that does fuel injector servicing and testing. They even include seals and o-rings for replacement. Costs about $25 per injector. How difficult is it to remove and replace the fuel injectors? (Can I get a howto? ;) )

Newports
12/18/2004, 07:02 PM
well, i know that on an LT1 that u have to remove the fuel rails and they come off with the fuel rail, so im assuming that this is applicable to any V formation engine... not sure tho...

SGT.BATGUANO
12/19/2004, 01:29 PM
Check for the kit at NAPA , they used to have them . Let me know if you find it, part# and price.

You just screw the fitting onto the fuel rail schraeder valve, I can't remember if you also disconnect the fuel pump (via fuse or relay removal). I believe the can was pressurized, so you just start up and move the throttle a bit. This was wriiten up in one of the mags as a next best alternative to a pro (removal-type) cleaning.

Sometimes, when I use a tank additive on a engine that hasn't been cleaned before, I'll go light on the fuel level (like 1/2 the max. dilution level) thereby running a higher concentration of cleaner. This might cause some rough running.

Then, on the next fillup, I'll use the recommended dilution.

After that, on the third tank, I'll make my observations if it helped mileage or performance.

I've also used Techron tank additive as it comes highly recommended

kpaske
12/19/2004, 11:04 PM
SGT.B -

I called NAPA and the guy said he's never heard of any kit like that. They sell the parts that hook up to the machines that shops use, but no DIY kits. Please let me know if you find any more information on this, or if you can locate the write up you mentioned, as this might be a good alternative to having to yank my injectors for a professional cleaning. However, at $25 a pop, getting them done professionally doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially since they've never been serviced in 90k miles.

SGT.BATGUANO
03/16/2005, 07:25 PM
his looks pretty close to what I was talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7962095136&category=33554

kpaske
03/16/2005, 08:14 PM
I used the Lucas injector cleaner, but didn't notice any significant effect. I'm still considering a professional / off the rail cleaning.

SGT B - do you think those kits are universal? I mean, would that Grand National kit fit our VX, or are the fittings on the fuel rails all different sizes?

WormGod
03/17/2005, 07:28 AM
Never once cleaned my injectors. I never use fuel additives either. I think I just sorta got into the habit of NOT dumping anything into my fuel tank since I had my Z. Back then, I asked the speedshop that used to work on that car what I should use and he said nothing. This could be 100% wrong, but he told me that using fuel additives to clean or boost one thing can slowly damage a totally different thing. He showed me what I need to and how to clean the injectors on my own when he did mine. Said it's the best way to do it. Really cool since he was losing work for showing me how to do it myself, heh. But, I love these guys and they have NEVER screwed me in the 16 years I have been using them. Hell, if they work on 13-9 sec machines all day, I dunno if I can afford NOT to listen to them.

Just my experience with injectors. I cleaned them a few times on other vehicles with a pressure line I bought years ago. But, I since gave up doing ANY of my own work to the speedshop guys. They always cut me breaks anyways since I practically live there and they love the VX, heh.

BTW, cleaning them is quite easy once you do it once (I recommend watching someone do it once first). I called my brother last night (Mr Racecar builder/mechanic) and asked about injector durations and he figures with the VX, 8k city/12k highway. Thats typically for simple everyday drivers. If you run it hard, he just said to clean them more often than that, so you decide at that point. Running a vehicle hard, according to him, actually keeps the injectors cleaner, heh. But, its best to have them as clean as possible when you run hard.

FYI

xdfarrx
03/17/2005, 07:58 AM
So HOW do they clean them?... I removed the rail and soaked them in carb cleaner and used a brush to agitate the tips and then soaked them again-