PDA

View Full Version : "WINTER" and 'POWER' mode in laymans terms please

dkmiller68
04/28/2004, 07:11 PM
New VX owner asks, "Owners manual states that 'winter' will start me out in 3rd gear, but what does the 'power' button actually do for me?" Thanks in advance. Don

10 minutes later..just found answer in previous post:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=33969#post33969

t2p
04/29/2004, 06:39 AM
I'm glad you were able to determine this - after reading the posts. After reading the posts, I was just a tad more confused.
And after using the power button on my VX - briefly - a few days ago, I could barely notice any difference.
I had expected the 'Power' button - when depressed - to raise the shift points - increase the rpms when the shifts would occur - similar to a button I had in an 89 Pathfinder. If it did, I was unable to determine with my short test. Maybe next time.
One post said it 'tightens' the shift points ........ not sure how mine could be any tighter ........ with the 4.30 rear end, the shift to second occurs almost immediately ........
As for the 'Winter' button ......... I would not use it if you paid me ....... I don't like the idea of starting from a dead stop in third gear. This is a 4wd vehicle - correct ? I have no idea of why they put this gimmick on a 4wd vehicle ........ instead, they should have equipped it with a switch to open the rear door .......

Moncha
04/29/2004, 07:53 AM
There's also a lot of valuable info contained within the FAQ page.

t2p
04/29/2004, 08:13 AM
WSG:
Thank you.
One sentence - that one sentence did it - and confirmed by suspicion/theory.
Son of Confucious say: One clear sentence worth 500 words.
t2p

Moncha
04/29/2004, 09:27 AM
Far cry from Conficiounism but I tryied to have the most common questions answered to a degree in the FAQ. I'll be updating that section in the new site release. Anyone who has additional information that I can stick in there, just let me know.

As far as the "Winter Button", You'd be amazed on just how much it really does help.. When it's slick enough out there, it doesn't matter how many wheeled drive you are, you're going to slide. The VX's engine is very torquey and the switch just helps keep all that torque in check.. The real trick is to know (Swallow the pride) when to use it.. It took me a while!

LeglizHemp
04/29/2004, 03:59 PM
I have found the best time to use the winter button is from a dead stop at a stoplite in very icy/slick conditions. since it kicks off automatically at 2000 rpm, it the only use i have found for it.

Moncha
04/29/2004, 04:12 PM
That's the only use for it. It actually turns off at 20MPH.