PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon - Tranny Service!

Joe_Black
04/27/2004, 04:17 PM
Okay, I know there's been a lot of "how-to" questions regarding servicing the transmission yourself. Many have paid $$$ to have it flushed while others scratched their heads at the paltry 3 quarts they were able to extract, wondering where the other 6 was hiding.

Well wonder no more! I've got to do the Iron Man and will post a complete How-To with photos as soon as it's done. How long you ask? As soon as a gasket gets here, so probably within the next two weeks. So hold off if you're close to paying or aren't sure, your salvation is at hand! I'll also include the part number for the gasket as well.;Do;

carlymac
04/28/2004, 12:22 PM
hallelujah brother...

xdfarrx
04/28/2004, 07:39 PM
Go Joe, your troops will be eagerly waiting for a full report.

Kahuna
04/28/2004, 10:04 PM
couldn't you have done this two weeks ago.....or maybe I shold have waited to weeks. Naaa, you should have done it before....it's never my fault!!

Joe_Black
04/29/2004, 05:36 AM
Tell you what Kahuna, you send me a nice Yater or McTavish and the next one is on me! ;Do;

Joe_Black
04/29/2004, 07:05 PM
Just talked to Merlin at St.Charles today and my tranny gasket should be here Monday. So I'll do the change on the IronMan one day after work next week and post v.1 of the "How-To", then y'all can give me feedback and I can improve it to v.2 when I do the Dragon in about 700 miles.;Db;

visconte
05/11/2004, 01:01 PM
OKAY so I know it is in the tranny somewhere - but where? Necessary to drop the pan?

Anita
05/11/2004, 01:15 PM
Hey, I have an interest in that baby. Take care of my Ironman.... :yesr: :smack:

Joe_Black
05/11/2004, 02:58 PM
It isn't necessary to change the screen in most cases, and it does require dropping the pan when you do. I'm doing the change either tomorrow or Thursday evening as last week and weekend we're completely shot due to having to deal with the Sasser virus at work. Ugh!

visconte
05/11/2004, 04:01 PM
Some people say the automatic transmission has a filter and some say it does not, some people say it needs to be replaced and some say it does not... Wish I still had that service CD! Thanks again for any info. :) - vis

xdfarrx
05/11/2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Joe_Black
It isn't necessary to change the screen in most cases, and it does require dropping the pan when you do. I'm doing the change either tomorrow or Thursday evening as last week and weekend we're completely shot due to having to deal with the Sasser virus at work. Ugh!

apple.

Chopper
05/11/2004, 05:14 PM
just remember to Support the box before you break the cross member loose. It's easy,I've confidence in your abilities.Work safely,please. That damn thing IS heavy.

Joe_Black
05/11/2004, 09:52 PM
apple.
Don't even start. Writing a virus for apple would be like a graffiti artist doing their work on the underside of a bus.

Anita
05/11/2004, 10:45 PM
Don't even start. Writing a virus for apple would be like a graffiti artist doing their work on the underside of a bus.

:nuke::smack:

:laughr:

t2p
05/12/2004, 06:16 AM
.... and that raises the question: was the underside of the Partridge Family bus painted 'artistically' ....... is that a word ? ....

Trans service - Check Tone's posts ........ he's 'been-there-done-that' ....... he has some good recommendations ...... I believe one recommendation was to change the filter at every other trans fluid change ............ sounds like a good idea .......
Another post of Tones points to a link that shows a chart that lists other vehicles that use the same trans as the VX ....... (in a way) shows that this trans is not exactly 'over built' ...... and because of this, early (and often) trans fluid changes are probably a good idea ......
in a addition ..... read some documentation on the BW (TOD) transfer case - and it also appears to be a good idea to change the transfer case fluid early and often ......

gruven
05/12/2004, 10:53 AM

Ahhh - you funny man Joe_Black!! ;Db;

If the above is true, then a peecee could not be a bus- but rather a very long subway, sanded & primed, left in a bad part of town with several cases of spray paint & stencils left neatly arranged ready to go....

;pg; sorry- couldn't let it go.....;pg;

Now off to do work (& not to fix things...)

-gruven :supercool

nater
05/12/2004, 12:15 PM
I'd have to side with the professional flushers on this one. Aamco http://www.aamco.com/ (not Amoco!) will flush the trans for about $115. The thing is, they backflush it, so that debris can flow backword through the trans and out into the machine. If you drain and fill, you won't get most of the fluid. If you "idle and suck" new fluid in, you are still flowing forward, and a lot of debris can get jammed up in the valve body and other places. You also run the risk of running dry if you are not careful.

The filter is a screen. Leave the pan gasket in place, it will save you the trouble.

Power Backflushing is the best way to change the fluid. Unlike a radiator flush, which doesn't do a lot compared to draining and filling twice, the trans is different.

Don't forget to change the transfer case and the diffs as well. And don't forget the LSD additive for the rear (I think most VX's had Limited Slip Differential).

Happy motoring.

Nate

Joe_Black
05/12/2004, 05:07 PM
Finally got around to starting the "how-to" this evening. The only issue I've hit is that I can't find the TC plug. Anyway, got a bunch of pics and will hit it again tomorrow after work. Got some gasket scrapin' to do on the adapter pan!;Do;

Joe_Black
05/27/2004, 11:17 AM
The IronMan has been sitting with most of the tranny exposed for two weeks now and the most I've managed to extract is a little over 5 quarts. I'm convinced the remainder of what's reasonable to get out is tied up in the torque converter, but the 4L30E converter doesn't have a drain plug. I've rotated completely many times and one still hasn't appeared, even magically. Even the Mity-vac was unable to pull more than a few ounces of additional fluid.

So I most humbly offer my apologies for not being able to deliver on this one folks.:sighg:

I'll put up what I did accomplish and photograph on my website and will provide a link, which will hopefully help somewhat. Although I'm not giving up and will pursue more info on the 4L30E and DIY maintenance. I just wanted to update any waiting for this info as to my lack of success thus far.

Again, my apologies.

nater
05/27/2004, 11:46 AM
Joe, sorry man, but your quest is futile. The only way to get ALL of the trans fluid out is to pump it... and the only way to do it at home is to put extra lines on the cooler, one going to a bucket, the other going to a fresh supply, then idle the engine until the stuff flowing into the bucket runs clean.

There is another way; keep changing the few quarts from the drain plug over and over until the stuff starts to look clean... this could take hundreds of quarts, though...

Seriously, Aamco, the transmission folks, will get this done in a hurry, and for not too much money. It's like trying to service A/C at home, you just can't get it done right.

Sorry.

Nate

t2p
05/27/2004, 03:16 PM
someone .......... mentioned to me that the torque convertor could be 'drilled' ........ a hole drilled into it - the fluid purged ..... and then plugged ..........
???
I would not try that in a million years .......
I like the idea of the Aamco flush ........ that appears to be an effective way to change all the fluid ......... and that is an easy way for Aamco to bring in some money with a small amount of labor involved .......... they don't need to drop the pan ..... and the crossmember and/or exhaust system, etc. if it is required ......
less comebacks due to pan leaks ........ etc etc. .........
regardless ......... I feel the filter should still be changed .......
I will probably get the fluid flushed - and then drop the pan, change the filter, and add new fluid to top it off.
btw: beware of Aamco ....... that organization has been in trouble more than a few times ..... the ones in my area had a rotten reputation ........ Two examples: told someone they needed a new/rebuilt trans when a simple vacuum leak was the problem. Another time told someone they needed a new/rebuilt
trans when a $10 vacuum modulator was the problem.

nater
05/27/2004, 10:05 PM
t2p, changing the filter just isn't that critical since I hear it's a strainer, not a disposable element. (I don't know for certain).

You don't have to go to Aamco. You can have it done anywhere they have a machine. You may wish to avoid Ford dealerships to reduce your risk of a Type F fluid mixup. (I suppose aamco could screw this up as well).

Nate

SGT.BATGUANO
05/27/2004, 11:00 PM
The filter is more than a strainer and isuzu recommends changing it at intervals.

How can you backflush a trans, without dropping the pan, and get fluid out without dislodging gunk from the trans filter?

I'd almost think it would be best to change the filter before AND AFTER a backflush. I doubt that backflushing can remove the larger heavier particles, including metal, that a pan drop allows.

nater
05/29/2004, 08:25 PM
The pump in the service machine will backflush (push the fluid the other way) through the trans. If the filter is more than a strainer, then change it. You can change it as often as you like, but I'm just so happy to get clean fluid into the trans that I don't know if changing it twice is really necessary. Like anything else, more often is better, less often is worse, somewhere in the middle is likely okay.

Nate