PDA

View Full Version : 5th Set of Tires @ 154,000

Randy
04/27/2004, 08:22 AM
Just installed my fifth set of tires at 154,000 miles. This is my third set of Pirelli Scorpion Zero's. Although they only last about 35,000 miles, I love these tires. Thanks to Tone for the research.

My experience is with the Bridgstones (of course), and then I tried the Yokohamas. Yokohama was a good tire but got rough very fast the way the tread wore. I rotate and balance every 5,000 miles along with my oil changes. It is more convenient to combine things and easier to remember at 5-10-15-20 etc.

I probably will get a couple more years out of my Ironman and then I am going to be very upset because there is nothing on the road currently I would rather have than my VX. I sure wish Toyota would announce production of their FJ Cruiser.

Randy

P.S. Yokohama AV-ST's are the type I tried.

Dallas4u
04/27/2004, 08:46 AM
Hey Randy, what Yoko's were you running? I have had my Geolander AT+II's on for 3 years and they feel fine. The tread is wearing, and I will probably replace them at some point next year, but they have 32k on them now, and I'm assuming they'll have around 40k or so on them when they go...

I'm thinking of going with them again just because they have been GREAT, and they are somewhat cheap.

t2p
04/27/2004, 10:05 AM
Randy:

Sounds good - very good. 35K is reasonable - impressive - from a high quality tire like the Pirellis Scorpion.

According to my sources (my two boys - 3 and 7 years old), the introduction of the FJ Cruiser is probably a couple of years away.

One MotorTrend article stated an 05 introduction for the FJ, another 06 ......... so maybe it is close. ???

Some auto journalists appear to be impressed with the 'new improved' XTerra - that (supposedly) features more power and better handling.

t2p

VCAMILO
04/28/2004, 08:22 PM
NaH! I work for toyota in phoenix, az and I can tell you that its all a "concept". Just like the VX. 6000 made and a tag of 33k with only 230 some HP, 2 doors... blah blah! The truck was not made for the masses. Same will hold for the Toyota. With 300 some HP they will want 40k plus. Now how many of you guys would have bought a Twin Turbo Supra when the came out. Way too much money @ the time. But now people still want 40k for the car and they dont even drive them. blah blah blah! Believe me if Toyota makes them Im getting one too! ;Db;

t2p
04/29/2004, 06:28 AM
IF the FJ Cruiser does hit the showroom floors, I doubt we will see
a 300 hp engine under the hood ...........
???
maybe 200 if we are lucky .......
Toyota is a 'tad' conservative (understatement) ...... so I would be EXTREMELY surprised if the FJ - IF it is built - looks (and perforrms) like the one in the pics .........

Randy
04/29/2004, 07:55 AM
I also just changed my EGR valve at 154,046 miles. The "check engine" light has been on for awhile but the VX has been running great so I never did anything about it. Fixed the problem immediately. $100 bucks at AutoZone for the part. It comes off with two bolts and is very easy to change.

Randy

I'm going to contact Toyota about the FJ Cruiser.

Locomigo
04/29/2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Randy
Fixed the problem immediately. $100 bucks at AutoZone for the part. It comes off with two bolts and is very easy to change.

Randy

Do you have a P/N for that?