PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with 20" wheels

Bagheera
04/26/2004, 01:57 PM
Hey everyone.....those of you with 20" rims....did you change your brake calipers (spelling?) or pads? Also, how do you find the handling? It's REALLY windy around here lately, but I find the handling a little rough....kinda like it pulls from side to side (that could be our crappy highways with all the potholes too) Just wondering if any of you may have had the alignment done or anything else that needed minor adjustments. At high speeds (60mph) when I brake it seems to sway back and forth a bit.

I know I know....those of you who said, "get 18" wheels.....they'll handle better". I still love the look of the 20's with the big a** tires :rolleyes:

~Kiersten

01VX
04/26/2004, 07:36 PM
I have 20" KMC Thundars, I didnt have to change my brake calipers and the handling was noticeably better especially when cornering at higher speeds. did you get your front end alligned after you installed the 20's, it made quite a difference on mine and I thought my alignment was pretty good.

Bagheera
04/26/2004, 08:18 PM
hey 01VX,

The allignment is what a few people have suggested but going straight at high speeds (60 mph), it doesn't seem to veer in any direction if I let go of the steering wheel....I have no idea about things like this, but I thought that meant is was fine? Do you suggest to get the allignment done anyways? I should have been more clear in my earlier post, but it seems to sway only when I corner at higher speeds and high speed braking...not so much going straight.

Thanks soooo much for the reply and BTW.....nice wheels :D Hey....what size are your tires?

~Kiersten

johnnyapollo
04/26/2004, 08:35 PM
Could be your tires. I notice that my steering wanders every time I rotate my Pirelli's. The tires seem to "set" and track on any grooves on the road. Once they get a bit of wear on them the wandering stops. I'm not sure if this is a symptom of some type of condition or a byproduct of the type of tire. I get the wheels aligned every time I rotate (helps to buy that $100 lifetime alignment at Firestone!). They are usually a little off, but not enough to explain what I'm experiencing.

-- Best, John

lenny
04/27/2004, 12:54 AM
hi
i put 20s on with 295/40/20 handles great little harder on the ride get on to highway no probs unless im in slow lane where the trucks normally sit then me vx pulls to the left or right thats down to the ruts in the road that the truck tyres have made so i fixed that i stay out of slow lane