PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Blues

Mr. I-MAN
04/26/2004, 01:11 PM
My alt light keeps coming back on. However when I sprayed at the coin op wash the light went out for about 15 minutes??
any suggestions?

Joe_Black
04/26/2004, 02:01 PM
Sounds like you either have a loose connection or the encapsulation material for your VREG is cracked. If it isn't something simple and you're looking at an alternator replacement you may want to consider this very inexpensive (comparitively) upgrade: GM 180 Amp Alternator Upgrade. (http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/99)

Heraclid
04/26/2004, 02:20 PM
Hey Joe, didn't the same thing happen in Ocala/Juniper Springs? Or rather, their A/C came back on before it went for good... something like that.

Joe_Black
04/26/2004, 02:45 PM
I don't recall anyone saying their warning light came on, but yeah, the A/C was intermittent for most. Your's too, right? From what I understand, the A/C will shut off if the alternator isn't working as it's on the supply side.

Mr. I-MAN
04/26/2004, 02:47 PM
a/c stopped when alt light is on

Dallas4u
04/26/2004, 02:54 PM
Joe, did you swap out your OEM for an H/O unit? I have looked at that page numerous times and can't find a part number. I have looked at the www.4alterstart.com page many times as well and can't find the specific one that is needed.

Heraclid
04/26/2004, 03:31 PM
DUH! Sorry, you're right, Joe... I know someone else had the A/C come and go, but yeah, mine came back too. Obviously, everyone who lost the alternator lost the A/C first. The other who said his came back on for a bit was Frank I think. Mine VERY briefly came back when at the carwash, then went out for good. I don't recall having the warning light.

I have a new name for you - Joe Isuzus. :-)

Mr. I-MAN
04/26/2004, 03:44 PM
IS THE ALT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY?

Heraclid
04/26/2004, 03:51 PM
I don't see why not. I got mine used and had an extended warranty I got from the used car dealer. I had drowned my alternator (faulty v-reg) off-roading and there was mud and stuff everywhere up underneath there. I took it to the Isuzu dealer and they said it was about a $600 part (between $600 and $700). Yikes. But with what I had, I only had to pay $100 of it and Isuzu never said a peep about all the mud and obvious signs of playing in the water.

Mr. I-MAN
04/27/2004, 10:49 AM
thanks for the info heraclid, took the VX to the dealership and it was still covered under warranty also getting my pesky driver side binding window fixed.

Mr. I-MAN
04/27/2004, 12:50 PM
:madr2: talk about getting jacked dealership calls me with bad news That it will take a week and a half to get a new alternator in no-charge However for $70 they can get next day shipped to them by tomorrow or the day after at the latest. Isuzu or the dealership's policy is that the don't cover next day shipping ;eekr;

Joe_Black
04/27/2004, 01:41 PM
Well, $70 isn't bad all things considered. Very glad for you that it's covered as those OEM alternators are major $$$$.

did you swap out your OEM for an H/O unit?
I did on my '93 Trooper RS but haven't had the need *yet* on either of the VX's. I'll look though and see if I can divine the part number. The one I used for the RS came from AutoZone and I just told them what I wanted, didn't even use a part number.

I have a new name for you - Joe Isuzus.

If I could only remember some of the snappy lines from the old Isuzu commercials... ;pg;

Heraclid
04/27/2004, 02:58 PM
I was told the same thing, but they wanted $90. I declined and borrowed my parents' Saturn wagon until it was ready. I think it took about a week in my case.